In the beginning it was to word...

Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 1:50 am GMT
I would like to suggest the best way to learn english if you are in US is going to church. When you are listening or practice english you can learn a lot. Indeed in churches they speak very good english and you can learn so many words.
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 2:04 am GMT
oops I wanted to say 'In the beginning it was the word...'. I heard about that Stalin once told his Ambassador to the U.S., Andrei Gromyko, to learn English by listening to sermons in American churches.
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 2:19 am GMT
the last one is a joke or who knows... But what I suggest you is the best simple way which can get to know much more than you can expect it and to you imrpove you language skills. As it written 'In the beginning it was the word...'. That's so important to know.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:54 am GMT
Hark! I shall do so! Thou hast done me a great boon, I send my blessing upon thee.
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 3:18 am GMT
I came here to tell about the light who shines upon the darkness. One way to know it is to listen the words or to speak the truth.
Skippy   Mon May 26, 2008 4:27 am GMT
Well most people throughout the West know the Lord's Prayer and other prayers or sayings from Church in their native language, so it would be an OK start. Speaking as a US Protestant, I can say my preachers have always given sermons as though it were a conversation (granted, with only one speaker) so beyond the Lord's Prayer, Affirmation of Faith, etc. I can't see how Church would be much more beneficial than any other foreign language learning except for being more open towards outsiders and more forgiving of grammar mistakes.
meez   Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 am GMT
Ok' they might speak well there but you'll be spamed with nonsense...
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 11:14 am GMT
Well Skippy you have to see beyond that. It's a good way to start to get to know much more about language, culture, Bible. The rest is the work of God.
meez: I'm not a spammer with nonsense, I just speak the things out of my own experiance. I can tell you I made a big step since the beginning and going to church helped me a lot. It's not only with saying of Afirmation of faith, and Lord's prayer, it's listening carefully, singing, greeting people it's a whole new world. The rest is work of God.
meez   Mon May 26, 2008 11:54 am GMT
Laura, I didnt say you were a spammer...I just couldn't restrain from a comment about the church itself....Nevermind...
meez   Mon May 26, 2008 11:58 am GMT
refrain I meant, not restrain
Eric   Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
Loverly spam.
Skippy   Mon May 26, 2008 4:36 pm GMT
I'm not saying it doesn't open you up to that, but, for example, I know NO Korean and if I were to go to a Korean Methodist church I probably wouldn't pick up much aside from slight differences between my church and theirs, the Lord's Prayer, and the Affirmation of Faith (and maybe some hymns). Without a prior knowledge of the language, however, it's not going to be that helpful, like with immersion.
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
forget about that Skippy, my suggestion is not so original. I started with few words which I could recognize but I made an improvement. I have no idea how it that happened. Now I feel that I'm more confident in english.
Laura Braun   Mon May 26, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
It's not for everyone. You know, it's not for everyone.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 12:58 am GMT
If you don't actually want to come to the U.S. just to sit in church, you can perhpas find recordings of ministers delivering their sermons online.

Right now, excepts of sermons from the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church are very popular (and they're not the least bit boring, as sermons often are.)