In the beginning it was to word...

Skippy   Tue May 27, 2008 1:24 am GMT
lol Jeremiah Wright clips are certainly easy to find (Youtube, Google video, etc.) but there are better preachers out there. My preacher in Dallas has his sermons available online at cornerstoneworship.org/pages/cornerstone_sermons.

I suppose attending church services couldn't hurt in learning a language, I just doubt it being much more than immersion, which is only beneficial after developing some familiarity with the basic spoken language. I want to learn Czech, and I bought a CD by a Czech band to get me used to syntax and some colloquial vocab, but it's not going to be much help if I don't do my own studying on the side.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 2:14 am GMT
<<My preacher in Dallas has his sermons available online at cornerstoneworship.org/pages/cornerstone_sermons.>>

But at least you won't fall asleep listening to JW's sermons, if they're all like the excerpts. I seem to recall that my old minister at the Rye Presbyterian Church decades ago was so incredibly boring, that he turned me off to chruchgoing even to this day.

If you're watching videos to learn English, you might as watch interesting ones.
Skippy   Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 am GMT
Paul's actually pretty entertaining.
God   Tue May 27, 2008 8:22 am GMT
If thou wert to enter into my holy house with the sole aim of enriching thy English skills, I declare, I would be upfronted. Sin not! If thou art a sinner, step not into my domain! Nevertheless, if thou art a faithful doer of the holy work then I welcome thee with open arms into my cavern of lofty feelings and righteousness, and I shall do all which lies within the reach of my all-powerful limbs (and this, know thou the truth, is all that existeth!) to help thee master which ever language it be with the aid of which thou shouldst feel inclined to embroider thy mind with understanding and eternal divinity in human brotherhood.
Laura Braun   Tue May 27, 2008 12:36 pm GMT
I'm pissed off people who are trying to make treirselves very original over the internet. Especially you make yourself God are the stupid one. What ignorance.
hey   Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
i;m a new comer. it's there any chinese friends also come here
Flying Spaghetti Monster   Tue May 27, 2008 7:15 pm GMT
Yes, this "God" impersonator is stupid and ignorant! He does not know who the real god is! Therefore I command that he must suffer from exposure to stale beer. Ramen and hardy-harr!
Chummy Brooks   Wed May 28, 2008 1:50 pm GMT
I would like to know why "God" hasn't kept up with the times. Thee, thy, thou. Good grief!.
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
<<I would like to know why "God" hasn't kept up with the times. Thee, thy, thou. Good grief!. >>

I guess it's because many bitter people in the U.S. are still clinging to their King James bibles.
son of God   Wed May 28, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
<<If thou wert to enter into my holy house with the sole aim of enriching thy English skills, I declare, I would be upfronted. Sin not! If thou art a sinner, step not into my domain! Nevertheless, if thou art a faithful doer of the holy work then I welcome thee with open arms into my cavern of lofty feelings and righteousness, and I shall do all which lies within the reach of my all-powerful limbs (and this, know thou the truth, is all that existeth!) to help thee master which ever language it be with the aid of which thou shouldst feel inclined to embroider thy mind with understanding and eternal divinity in human brotherhood. >>

If you're gonna impersonate my Dad, then get it right:

If thou wert to enter into my holy house with the sole aim of enriching thINE English skills, I declare, I would be upfronted. Sin not! If thou BE a sinner, step not into my domain! Nevertheless, if thou BE a faithful doer of the holy work, then I welcome thee with open arms into my cavern of lofty feelings and righteousness, and I shall do all which lieTH within the reach of my all-powerful limbs (and this, know thou, the truth, is all that existeth!) to help thee master which ever language it be with the aid of which thou shouldst feel inclined to embroider thy mind with understanding and eternal divinity in human brotherhood.

Geeze
Ed   Wed May 28, 2008 8:34 pm GMT
Skippy,

I looked at your church's website and saw that you are Methodist. I'm Baptist. The reason I bring this up is I saw on Al Mohler's Blog (He's the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) links to maps that show counties and denominations that have the most people in each county. I thought you might find this interesting.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/religion/church_bodies.gif
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/religion/baptist.gif
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo200/religion/methodist.gif

http://www.albertmohler.com/blog_read.php?id=626
Here you can find links to the rest of the maps.
Skippy   Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
Ed-

lol wow I've never seen that before and I knew the South had a lot of Baptists, but wow...

I always think of this time I saw To Kill a Mockingbird in Dallas and one of the actors mentioned something about playing football and how the Baptists were going to play the Methodists... I always assumed there were more of us... And I had no idea there were that many Catholics in Dallas and Tarrant County in Texas.
Holy Ghost   Thu May 29, 2008 7:14 am GMT
I think u shld liten up a bit becoz we can be wurshipped in a millions of ways. Us guys at the top look at the heart, not the akshuns.
FSM   Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 pm GMT
Ramen to that!
the TRUTH   Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
<<I think u shld liten up a bit becoz we can be wurshipped in a millions of ways. Us guys at the top look at the heart, not the akshuns.>>

ahhh, but one's actions should conform to and follow what's in their hearts, otherwise "look at the heart" just becomes a cheap catch-all phrase to be used as an excuse for anything.

"worshipped in millions of ways"???, say you? I thought we were to worship you in the precise way in which YOU prescribed--otherwise it's no worship at all. It's our responsibility to ensure that we are worshipping you the way you *want* to be worshipped. I'd hate for us to be deceiving ourselves...