Languages You Can Learn at Home or/and Abroad

Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 1:30 am GMT
<<What is the correct word then? >>

Simple?

Spanish Grammar may be simpler than German, but English grammar is simpler still.

BTW -- Some people here do actually consider English grammar (at least the morphology) to be "primitive", "moronically simple", or "pidgin-like".
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 1:43 am GMT
<<I don't think "primitive" would be the correct word here... It is actually the more "primitive" cultures that often have the most complex languages, especially those with the fewest number of speakers.>>

Perhaps antiquated is more agreeable to you? It is a Latin based language very much bathing in the glory of a bygone era. It hasn't evolved as much as English has and is therefore more primitive.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 1:47 am GMT
<<I'm afraid I don't agree with your police work on this one.>>

Why are you afraid?:- You yourself hinted that you were a Mexican immigrant in a previous thread. How else can one explain the sub-par quality of your written English? I thought you were a man/woman of truly noble character. Why do you deceive us?
K. T.   Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 am GMT
I never hinted that I was a Mexican immigrant. If you mean that I am conflicted on the issue of immigration, then that is true. I don't like illegal immigration, but people are people and I understand why Mexicans and Central Americans come here. Should illegal aliens get a kidney for transplant before a citizen or a green card holder? Does medical condition
trump one's legal status? These are the issues that grab my attention.

I try to be fair. That's it.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 am GMT
Perhaps antiquated is more agreeable to you? It is a Latin based language very much bathing in the glory of a bygone era. It hasn't evolved as much as English has and is therefore more primitive.

Spanish grammar is very different with respect to Latin, so it has evolved a lot, but still Spanish preserves most of its Latin vocabulary, it's not a creole language like English that has lost the biggest part of its original Germanic vocabulary and now its of Latin extraction. Spanish had not that necessity since it derives from an important language like Latin, not a barbaric one like Old Germanic, Anglo-Saxon or whatever the language English comes from. Spanish is modern and original at the same time, and English is an incoherent mess .
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 am GMT
<<BTW -- Some people here do actually consider English grammar (at least the morphology) to be "primitive", "moronically simple", or "pidgin-like".>>

He he this is classic Antimoon.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 am GMT
<<Spanish grammar is very different with respect to Latin, so it has evolved a lot, but still Spanish preserves most of its Latin vocabulary, it's not a creole language like English that has lost the biggest part of its original Germanic vocabulary and now its of Latin extraction. Spanish had not that necessity since it derives from an important language like Latin, not a barbaric one like Old Germanic, Anglo-Saxon or whatever the language English comes from. Spanish is modern and original at the same time, and English is an incoherent mess .>>

Perhaps if you spoke less stilted and grammatically incorrect English, one could take your post seriously...Besides, we all know Spanish is a mere Latin-based pidgin mixed with Arabic and Berber, the true barbaric languages.

If you new anything about ancient Rome, you would know it was actually quite a barbaric place, despite some advancement in cultural venues. The ancient Germans also admired art, the art of war, which is why they gave Rome a real ass whipping.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 11:27 am GMT
<<Besides, we all know Spanish is a mere Latin-based pidgin mixed with Arabic and Berber, the true barbaric languages.>>

LOL, not politically correct but so true. How else could Spaniards be so Arab-looking. Spain is essentially a catholic Arab nation.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
70% of Spanish vocabulary derives from Latin, so far it's logical for a Latin derived language. 60% of English vocabulary derives from Latin and Norman French, thence it's clear which of the two is a pidgin mixed language.
Sorry but Spanish has words from many languages: Greek, Classical Arabic (not berber at all, fine Arabic instead), Italian, French , but the biggest part (70%) is directly inherited from Latin. Don't pretend that all languages are mongrel languages like English is. English is the shame of Germanic languages. Learn from Icelandic, a true Germanic and proud language whose vocabulary is not spoiled by latinates.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 pm GMT
The English new that the only way for English to become word lingua franca was to linguistically straddle the Romance and Germanic families. And guest what, my poor Latin friend. It worked! English prevails and shadows all the current Latin based pidgins. But most importantly, its grammar and incredible precision remains strictly Germanic.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
<<Besides, we all know Spanish is a mere Latin-based pidgin mixed with Arabic and Berber, the true barbaric languages>>

Arabic, specially in the VIII century wasn't a barbaric language. It's just the opposite, Arabic was a cultured and prestigious language comparable to Greek or Latin . For example the School of Translators in Toledo received many scholars from all Europe who wanted to translate to their languages books writen in Arabic about Aristotelian philosophy since Aristotle was forgot by Christian Europe. Only a retarded barbaric Anglo (redundancy) speaker could dare to say such a boutade. The only true barbaric language is the language from which English derives to the point of replacing most the original vocabulary by Latin words. Nowadays only 30% of English words are Germanic because English speakers are ashamed of their barbaric roots.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
<<The English new that the only way for English to become word lingua franca was to linguistically straddle the Romance and Germanic families. And guest what, my poor Latin friend. It worked! English prevails and shadows all the current Latin based pidgins. But most importantly, its grammar and incredible precision remains strictly Germanic.>>

Your stupidity doesn't even deserve a comment from my part. Precission, haha... You don't have different personal pronouns for the second person singular and plural. Great precission, of course .
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
Stupidity? Hmm....

You should have said, "...on my part." Bloody moron...
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 3:10 pm GMT
I don't care your fucking language. Why on hell would I have to write it correctly? To speak English unproperly is like spiting at it, that is, a pleasure for me. I have better things to do like studying Classical Latin rather than mastering English.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 3:33 pm GMT
"English prevails and shadows all the current Latin based pidgins"

I am not so sure. English is hardly the native tongue of 380 million of speakers. If you include bilingual people (or almost bilingual), it is the language of 520-550 million people.

Romance languages are the native tongue of 750 million people around the world.

Total speakers

Spanish: 500 million of speakers

French: 265 million of speakers

Portuguese: 230 million of speakers

Italian: 70 million of speakers

Romanian: 30 million of speakers

More than 1 billion speak a Romance language.