Languages You Can Learn at Home or/and Abroad

Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:14 am GMT
<<If your native language is English, it's almost impossible (for most people) to learn another "real" language, all of which seem so much more complex than English.>>

Unfortunately this is true... English learners have little reason to learn grammar, as English grammar is so simple... the good/well distinction is the most telling grammatical issue of English speakers in Texas (probably due to the HUGE number whose grandparents and great grandparents were L1 German speakers, such as my mother and father's families). Unless you find languages particularly interesting (as I do) verb conjugations and noun declensions won't exactly pique a language learner's interest... And unfortunately the most commonly taught languages taught in the US are rife with verb conjugations (French and Spanish) or declensions (adjective and article, as in German, or noun, as in Russian).
Xie   Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:38 am GMT
>>Please show me that I am wrong. If you know legitimate resources for Finnish, please share them

I'm curious!

But could you start a new thread about that, namely the issue of finding learning resources?

I'm quite sure that languages like Finnish and Korean are more difficult than Chinese for this very practical reason, for example.