In the future, it will be every other lang and then English

Esther Koplovich   Thu May 29, 2008 10:30 am GMT
You mean the hispanics in the US are semi-anglo saxons already.
Lazarillo.   Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 am GMT
La segunda, máximo la tercera generación de inmigrados a Estados Unidos procedentes de los países de lengua española se habrá integrado y para ellos la lengua española será sólo un recuerdo. En realidad, ya está ocurriendo, en forma acelerada.

Me sucedió el año pasado, en Estados Unidos: un matrimonio regentaba un hotel en el que me hospedé. Entre ellos hablaban español, pero se negaron a utilizarlo conmigo. Para aquel matrimonio, la lengua española tenía connotaciones negativas, de clase baja. Ellos eran ya estadounidenses y para ellos la lengua de prestigio era el inglés.

Me consta que es ésa la percepción de la inmensa mayoría de hispanos en Estados Unidos.

Por otra parte, la natalidad está cayendo en los países hispánicos. A no tardar mucho, las oleadas migratorias hacia los Estados Unidos irán atenuándose hasta desaparecer.

El resultado de todo este proceso será que la lengua española, lejos de representar un peligro para el predominio absoluto del inglés en Estados Unidos, irá perdiendo importancia. Por el contrario, los millones de descendientes de personas de lengua española serán ya de lengua inglesa. La inmigración hispana, por lo tanto, no habrá hecho más que reforzar el predominio demográfico (y no hablemos ya del cultural) de la lengua inglesa.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 1:36 pm GMT
<<para ellos la lengua de prestigio era el inglés. Me consta que es ésa la percepción de la inmensa mayoría de hispanos en Estados Unidos. >>
Poor people, they don't like to be discriminated because of the language, do they?
May parents,for instance, put this kind of videos to their children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0aAc0Z6Mo&feature=related
if their children decided not to speak it or thought that spanish is a low-level language, i wouldn't put any objection.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
Qué será será?

nobody know...
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
<<La segunda, máximo la tercera generación de inmigrados a Estados Unidos procedentes de los países de lengua española se habrá integrado y para ellos la lengua española será sólo un recuerdo. En realidad, ya está ocurriendo, en forma acelerada.

Me sucedió el año pasado, en Estados Unidos: un matrimonio regentaba un hotel en el que me hospedé. Entre ellos hablaban español, pero se negaron a utilizarlo conmigo. Para aquel matrimonio, la lengua española tenía connotaciones negativas, de clase baja. Ellos eran ya estadounidenses y para ellos la lengua de prestigio era el inglés.

Me consta que es ésa la percepción de la inmensa mayoría de hispanos en Estados Unidos.

Por otra parte, la natalidad está cayendo en los países hispánicos. A no tardar mucho, las oleadas migratorias hacia los Estados Unidos irán atenuándose hasta desaparecer.

El resultado de todo este proceso será que la lengua española, lejos de representar un peligro para el predominio absoluto del inglés en Estados Unidos, irá perdiendo importancia. Por el contrario, los millones de descendientes de personas de lengua española serán ya de lengua inglesa. La inmigración hispana, por lo tanto, no habrá hecho más que reforzar el predominio demográfico (y no hablemos ya del cultural) de la lengua inglesa. >>

Es lo mismo que le pasará al catalán y euskera en España, con la diferencia de que ya no hay más países donde se hable al contrario que el español.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 pm GMT
<<So, there are 60-62 million people in USA (& Puerto Rico) that speak Spanish with different level of knowledge. >>

Nonsense.

You people still can't seem to grasp the concept that ''hispanic" does not mean spanish speaking. "Hispanic" doesn't really mean much of anything. Most "hispanics" are regular americans, who speak english natively.

The process of assimilation is rapid, it just takes 1-2 generations.

Theres no growth of spanish in the united states, its limited almost entirely to recent immigrants.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
<< The process of assimilation is rapid, it just takes 1-2 generations. >>

The funny thing is that there is always a fresh first generation of Hispanics in US, and as time goes by it is bigger, so Spanish will never dissapear.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
<<The process of assimilation is rapid, it just takes 1-2 generations. >>

Frankly I don't know why Latin americans, are somehow clueless about this, and keep imagining that spanish is growing in the United States. What are they thinking?? How could they possibly believe that??

Their countries (Argentina, Colombia, Mexico, etc) are complex like the U.S, and absorded LARGE populations of non-spanish speaking immigrants whos descendents today all speak spanish and are culturally latin-american, so they should be very familiar with the process of assimilation.

Likewise, immigrants that come to the U.S, and start families, become regular anglophone americans.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
<<Theres no growth of spanish in the united states, its limited almost entirely to recent immigrants. >>
You're lying as usual. Spanish (language) was there much before you put your foo there.(Of course before there were the native americans). Look at this and you'll see what it was part of your nation nowadays:
NUEVA ESPAÑA : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246q2ziws8I

<<The process of assimilation is rapid, it just takes 1-2 generations. >>
I know it's what you want . Even spain is now being assimilated into anglo-sphere culture(western culture) forgetting their past. Shame on you Spain.

<<"Hispanic" doesn't really mean much of anything.>>
Hispanic was a culture and 'm not sure if we continue being it.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:52 pm GMT
One thing someone said is true: Hispanity is more than the language itself. That is the reason why Philipines is an Hispanic country and also the reason why Hispanics who speak English are not Anglos. Not even the US americans consider they as Anglos , hence I don't understand their hypocrisy . Spanish has had an uninterrupted presence in US since the XVI century. It's not logical to think that it will dissapear in the foreseeable future now that it is spoken more than ever. Yes, third generation of hispanics don't speak Spanish , but how much time will it take until the first and second generation dissapear? 80 years or so. Until then enjoy Spanish in US. None of us will see how Spanish dissapears in US, on the contrary. I know that this is disgustin for some here, but it's the truth.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
<<One thing someone said is true: Hispanity is more than the language itself. That is the reason why Philipines is an Hispanic country and also the reason why Hispanics who speak English are not Anglos.>>

I'm not following your logic. What does ''hispanity" exactly mean then?

I always understood that ''hispanic" was a language group, that has nothing to do with ancestry.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 6:12 pm GMT
<<I always understood that ''hispanic" was a language group, that has nothing to do with ancestry. >>

You understood badly. Hispanity is a cultural term. It is related to the Spanish language of course, but not only that.Hispanity means those people who have Spanish heritage in a broader sense: Spanish surnames, Catholic religion, food habits, mentality , etc. Philipines is Hispanic yet they don't speak Spanish.
Aryan Master   Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 pm GMT
I don't know about that, guest. I mean, Hispanics are rapidly switching to English and embracing Anglo-American culture. The border is on its way to being sealed off. Not to mention, a lot of angry Americans have joined border militia groups and those guys are good shots.
Aryan Master   Thu May 29, 2008 6:26 pm GMT
I don't know about that, guest. I mean, Hispanics are rapidly switching to English and embracing Anglo-American culture. The border is on its way to being sealed off. Not to mention, a lot of angry Americans have joined border militia groups and those guys are good shots.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 7:34 pm GMT
Spanish is official in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans can travel freely to everywhere in US so Spanish will always be spoken in US. It would not surprise me if Cuba becomes an US state as well after Castro brothers die, what means more Hispanics in US.