How do you judge an accent as pretentious?

Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 am GMT
The EU is meant to include every country in Europe, as well as others from outside Europe like Turkey or eventually Israel. So, I think it's a different case. The real comparison would come when we stated that Swiss are not European in the way you say Mexicans and Canadians are not American. But that is not going to happen, ever. Swiss will always be Europeans in Europe. I mean, how mad would you have to be? We are not Americans.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:31 am GMT
Sorry, I meant to say we are not Stations.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
<<The only people who do this whole "Statian" "US American" crap are uber-PC fruitcakes who are late to the pity party known as the 1990s.>>

Some of us do it to poke a little fun at the whole PC thing. I'd rather use "United Statian" or perhaps "United Statesian", since they sound a bit more rediculous.
Usan   Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:00 pm GMT
I'm Usan and proud of it.
Skippy   Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:18 am GMT
I'm an American and would never refer to myself as anything else. Except Texan, of course. :-P
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:49 pm GMT
<<Not completely true. I do use it as well. Statian means "from United States". >>

How is that relevant? The fact that you use "Statian" doesn't help us know what the hell you're talking about.

As an American, I don't find the term "Statian" offensive at all, euphemism or not, I just think it's silly to use a word that's incomprehensible to everyone but the person using the word. Kind of like those nut jobs that have a fantasy kingdom in their head and mention it to other people as if it were common knowledge that they're a king. Or those whackadoos that stalk movie stars because they believe the actor is communicating with them telepathically. You should find out if those guys have a forum and post there as well. You're a nut. Do you scream at the pigeons in the supermarket parking lot?

Oh well, at least you're an entertaining nut. I like how you go on and on about our nasal accents in various posts, ....and this was priceless:

<<It happens similarily with people of my own pedigree who speak with accents deemed by me to generally be pleasent>>

Wouldn't someone with your pedigree know how to spell "pleasant"? But please keep posting. The references to "Statian" and nasal accents and shit like this:

<<horrible specimens of our race>>

it's very entertaining stuff. I can only imagine what a horrible specimen of our race would be and what race that is and why you think it's relevant to the OP's question, but it's like a train wreck. It's a tragic mess but you have to watch.
D   Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 am GMT
i think someone using a created term like statian is pretentious, come to think of it, if it were spoken in any accent in the english speaking world... it would sound pretentious... hope this helps :)
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
If a guy acts pretentiously, I judge their accent is most probably pretentious!
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 pm GMT
Why Stations get so upset and made such a fuss of nothing?, People from all countries are called names, and yours is a fair enough name I reckon. Maybe is not a widely well-known name yet, but who knows? You might be watching the making of history.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
Probably not, and it's clear English isn't even your first language. Inelegance and inefficiency in language is strongly selected against.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 pm GMT
The usage of the word "Statian" is pretentious itself, bordering on the ridiculous.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
American is way more ridiculous, it's just that you are more used to it. Anyway American is becoming a too narrow description for such adventurous people, what about Earthman? More space age. After all Earthmans like Bruce Willis have saved the planet hundreds of times.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:20 pm GMT
"American" might be more ridiculous from your point of view, but billions of people are already using it.

I think it's a mistake to underestimate the power of inertia on mankind. "American" is the term that stuck, and no amount of pontification from elitists will change that. A dose of reality is in order.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:03 pm GMT
Of course, because it is the word that Stations use themselves. I used to have a friend who believed he was Maradona. I would always call him Dieguito in my visits at the lunatic asylum. Why to be cruel if you can just be kind?

So you can call yourself whatever you want and most people will stick to it, it's not a big deal, but because of things like that, trillions of people around the world don't see you as the kindest of nations, do they?. That's realty mate; the world doesn't like you very much.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:57 pm GMT
<<Of course, because it is the word that Stations use themselves>>

Is the politically correct term "Stations", "Statians", or "Statesians" (or all three)?