Which language is more important, French or Spanish?

Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:27 am GMT
Japanese is more important than French.
NINJA   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:59 am GMT
I'm so happy to hear that Japanese is more important than French.
Sander   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:53 am GMT
=>I think that's the reason why English is very extended worldwide and used like a bridge to interchange information between people who speak other languages.<=

So the dominance of a certain anglophone country in the 20th century has got nothing to do with it?
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:59 am GMT
<<I think that's the reason why English is very extended worldwide and used like a bridge to interchange information between people who speak other languages. That's what I love of it.

And that has nothing to do with the "POWER" of any country !!!!>>

What absolute nonsense. The current status of English has everything to do with the power of the US and NOTHING to do with the fact that it's an easy or beautiful or whatever language. The fact that it IS grammatically easier than many other languages is a bonus, but not a reason.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:01 am GMT
English is a poor language, anglophone speak like tarzan
greg   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:45 am GMT
Tout à fait d'accord avec Candy. C'est l'impact des États-Unis sur l'économie mondiale qui détermine directement l'emploi de l'anglais dans les circuits d'échanges internationaux.

D'autre part, Aldo, je ne suis absolument pas d'accord avec le reste de tes affirmations quant à la « simplicité » de la langue anglaise.

Aldo : « Les temps sont simples ».
Tu veux dire que le système des temps est volontiers périphrastique (futur : <will> + verbe) et que la conjugaison des temps proprement dits se limite à très peu de désinences (<eats>, <eating>, <ate> & <eaten>) ?
Si les formes disponibles sont en effet très simples, leur agencement et leur emploi l'est déjà moins.

Aldo : « Les articles et le adjectifs n'ont pas de genre ».
Si, les articles et les adjectifs ont chacun 4 genres sémantiques : <a small boy> (masculin sémantique), <a tall girl> (féminin sémantique), <a great dancer> (neutre faible sémantique), <a blue door> (neutre fort sémantique). Mais le genre sémantique n'est pas marqué.
Quant aux genres grammaticaux, moi j'en vois 3, tous non marqués : <a small boy> = <he> (masculin grammatical non-marqué), <a tall girl> = <she> (féminin grammatical non-marqué), <a blue door> (neutre grammatical non-marqué) = <it>.
De plus, si tu dis que les adjectifs et les articles n'ont pas de genres alors, logiquement, ils n'ont pas de nombre non plus. Ce qui est faux bien sûr : <the small car> (singulier), <the small cars> (pluriel). Le marquage du nombre affecte les noms mais pas les articles ni les adjectifs, cependant <the small> est tout aussi bien un singulier grammatical qu'un pluriel grammatical : c'est un nombre grammatical indéterminé (en l'absence du substantif) car non-marqué, pas une absence de nombre grammatical.
De la même manière, <the small> est tout aussi bien un masculin grammatical qu'un féminin grammatical qu'un neutre grammatical : c'est un genre grammatical indéterminé (en l'absence du substantif) car non-marqué, pas une absence de genre grammatical.

Aldo : « Beaucoup de mots d'origine gréco-latine »
Et tu penses que ça rend l'anglais plus simple pour des sinophones ?

Aldo : « les verbes sont très réguliers ».
Même les verbes réguliers présentent des irrégularités : le prétérit de <stop> est <stopped>, pas *<stoped>.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:47 am GMT
Japanese is more important than French................. in Japan. lol
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
> And I think if I want to study Spanish hard, it will take partial energy of studying German, French or Italian for me to learn Spanish, so I have never failed to learn a language.

Good for you.
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:35 pm GMT
> What absolute nonsense. The current status of English has everything to do with the power of the US

What "POWER", militar ? economic ?
Please explain. I'm eager to hear you.

>and NOTHING to do with the fact that it's an easy or beautiful or whatever language. The fact that it IS grammatically easier than many other languages is a bonus, but not a reason.

Compared to many other languages English is not a hard challenge that's the reason it was adopted as I said like a bridge between people with other languages. We all in this forum are an example of that and I can't see that "power" that you talk about.
But don't misunderstand my words, easy is not an offence, easy is not synonymous of bad or poor or something like that.
Tiffany   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:43 pm GMT
Ok, so French used to be the "lingua franca" because.... it was easy? Is that the reasoning I should apply?
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:51 pm GMT
> Tout à fait d'accord avec Candy. C'est l'impact des États-Unis sur l'économie mondiale qui détermine directement l'emploi de l'anglais dans les circuits d'échanges internationaux.

Germany is the strongest exporter of the world right now. It is over U.S., Japan...etc and without a commercial deficit since 50's. That's commercial power but has German language extended the same way of English ? No, and to learn it is not necessary for the rest of us.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:00 pm GMT
<<and I can't see that "power" that you talk about.>>
You can't see the power of the US, Aldo?? You must be the only person in the world!
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:53 pm GMT
Could be... show me!
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:20 pm GMT
And I'm not talking about military abuses against unarmed countries. That's politics and I don't want to go that far. It would be an endless thread.
By the way when I said <<and I can't see that "power" that you talk about.>> I meant with respect to language.

Really it's very annoying to hear all the time the fanatic nationalist bullies.
Aldo   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:12 pm GMT
Greg

Words used : the, small

the small boy
the small girl
the small boys
the small girls.

Article and adjetive with no gender, no plural. That really simplifies things.

In Spanish for example:

EL pequenO chico
LA pequenA chica
LOS pequenOS chicos
LAS pequenAS chicas

Words used : el, la, los, las, pequeno, pequena, pequenos, pequenas.
The root is "peque" for the adjetive I know but the rest represents more words and more rules to remember.

Words used : eat, eatS

(I eat) Yo comO (stress on first "o")
(You eat) Tu comES (Mexico...) (stress on "o")
(You eat) Vos comES (Argentina...) (stress on "e")
(You eat) Usted comE (no familiar) (stress on "o")
(He/it eats) El comE (stress on "o")
(She/it eats) Ella comE (stress on "e")
(We eat ) Nosotros comEMOS (stress on "e")
(You eat, plural) Ustedes comEN (stress on "o")
(You eat, plural) Vosotros comEIS (Spain)
(They eat, male) Ellos comEN
(They eat, female) Ellas comEN

Words used: como, comes, come, comemos, comen, comeis

And this is only the present tense...