Why do so many people insist that India is an English speaki

Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 am GMT
I often hear that Indians speak English, but after having to deal with them on a daily basis I am convinced that they in fact do not speak English any more natively than do most Mexicans or Italians. I have Indian coworkers, neighbors and also deal with them by telephone and email. It's painfully obvious that English is a foreign language to them, yet people still talk about "Indian English" as if it were a legitimate dialect or variety of the language.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:10 am GMT
Sorry, the question was truncated. The subject should have been:

"Why do so many people insist that India is an English speaking country?"
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 am GMT
I wholeheartedly agree. I don't understand this "Indian English" nonsense. We might as well have French English or Brazilian English.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:59 am GMT
Well, its like this: Only the upper-middle class and upper class Indians send their kids to English-medium schools. While these kids start their education in English from a very early age, and thus, consequently, develop near-native writing skills, their speaking skills are much less native-like. The reason is partly sociological in nature: only the "rich" kids speak in English in their normal life/with their parents; and other children trying to do that would be teased as being snobby/snooty by their friends. So most kids almost never ever use English except when required (answering teacher's questions, etc). Note though that English-based schools are prevalant only in urban areas (where just 30% of the population resides), and even there caters to the richer segment.

Another point: Education is extremely important in Indian society, and tons of people go abroad for education, settle there, or work there - most do not come from the upper-class background (who obviously do not have the same drive for higher education and bettering their lot than the not-so-well off do), and these are the people who natives come across most.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 am GMT
Obviously Indians have no problems communicating in English: 11 % of all medical doctors in the US are Indians. And, licensing (through USMLE1,2,3) is not an easy thing to do.
Jim   Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 am GMT
11 % of all medical doctors in the US may be Indians but what percentage of Indians are medical doctors in the US?

India is not an English speaking country. Many Indians can speak English but most can't. Few could pass as native speakers. English is an official language but day-to-day life is carried out in Hindi, Tamil, Gudrati, etc.
Badjack   Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:13 pm GMT
Bollywood chicks are the hottest in the world.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
I like CNN India.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 pm GMT
I just received a telemarketing phone call from India. She was speaking English kind-of, but I could not understand a single word the lady was saying. "isss jo thr?" "uhhh, what?" "iss hees weef thrr?" "uhhh, what are you trying to say?"

Corporations just say India's an English speaking country to justify throwing tons of jobs there. Of course they're now realizing that they can't do anything right.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:39 am GMT
<< Corporations just say India's an English speaking country to justify throwing tons of jobs there. Of course they're now realizing that they can't do anything right. >>

Yes, exactly, which explains why more and more jobs are being shifted to India in ever increasing numbers. Listen, son, businessmen dont care which country does what work, as long as they get results - which they are obviously getting.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:29 pm GMT
"...as long as they get results - which they are obviously getting."

The results they are getting is cheaper labor--that's all. The quality results? That's another story.

I worked at a call center in the States that was transitioning to India. The callers I talked to HATED talking to the Indians. It was so bad that management had to reconsider going offshore.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
Corporations are starting to bring work back -from- India because the results were so horrible. This also includes computer programming, writing (yes, they sent English language writing jobs to India!), design, etc.

People are so disappointed in the poor quality of work from India that work's actually coming back to the US.
Damian   Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
Indian accents are causing mayhem among millions of native Brits ringing into call centres. Sadly frustrations over misunderstandings and incomprehension are causing many Brits to phone into the organisations concerned to complain bitterly, at times when they are probably already stressed out. Apparently one man in Bedfordshire, England, rang up his bank to ask why they employed so many Welsh people in their call centre, as he couldn't understand a word they wqere saying. The bank told him that the call centre people are located in India, and not in Wales.

Many people do think there are similarities between the accent of the Indian Sub Continent and that of the Welsh. When the English actress Nicola Paget, who normally speaks in posh English English RP, and who once appeared in the TV series "Upstairs Downstairs", played the part of an Indian girlattached to the British Army in the Far East during WW2, she had great trouble trying to keep as close as she could to a reasonably genuine Indian accent without lapsing into some kind of Welsh accent, an indication of how similar they can sound.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
I find Indian English much easier to understand than Cockney or Geordie.
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
<<I find Indian English much easier to understand than Cockney or Geordie.>>

Maybe so, but it is not native. It is acquired English, not a real dialect.