Why do so many people insist that India is an English speaki

Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:29 am GMT
I am an Indian, and educated people in India have a wide range of accents, depending on how much opportunity they have had during their schooling and childhood years to talk in English.

But note that the typical stereotyped Indian English (like Apu in Simpsons) would be the most broad accented educated Indian English. The opposite extreme (least broad accented educated Indian English) is a cultured, and somewhat native sounding accent. I personally would call it Indian English RP, as its definitely modeled on RP and shares a lot in terms of pronunciation, but differs vastly in terms of intonation and perhaps a little on enunciation too.
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:36 am GMT
English are the language of business and government of India.

English is just as important language as Hindi as a medium. In other similar countries they TEACH you ENGLISH - Lessons are TAKEN IN ENGLISH.
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 am GMT
"But note that the typical stereotyped Indian English (like Apu in Simpsons) would be the most broad accented educated Indian English. The opposite extreme (least broad accented educated Indian English) is a cultured, and somewhat native sounding accent. I personally would call it Indian English RP, as its definitely modeled on RP and shares a lot in terms of pronunciation, but differs vastly in terms of intonation and perhaps a little on enunciation too."

Very interesting. Yes, it's the intonation more than word choice that I notice.