An Accent Of New Jersey!????

Tom K.   Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
I haven't found that much on glottal stops. I've heard it associated with Philadelphia, as well as the Bronx. Then there was that TI from Basic Training who was from Yorktown, VA, and I also saw a paper abstract showing that its use was increasing in Vermont.
Kirk   Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:57 pm GMT
<<I don't notice any coarticulation of a t and a glottal stop, in "button," I guess because I'm from the Philly area (though I'm skeptical my pronunciation is different from the rest of the country's). I'd have to hear someone not from around here say that word so I can compare.>>

Alright I just made a quick recording of myself saying those words.

http://kirkb.6te.net/audio/glottalwords.wav
Kirk   Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:00 pm GMT
Tell me if you have problems listening to the file--I apparently uploaded it to my site ok but when I tried downloading it from here it wouldn't play.
kashif Khan   Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:26 am GMT
hi
I would like to ask all of you about American" T".I am talking about three Tees that you guys don't pronounce between the word or right in the bigening.There are even some other rules to apply these rules but i am not sure about them.The only help i want from you guys to tell me wheather it is standerd American english or not and if a new learner is learning american english, should he learn American T rules?.i want answers from all American accent speakers.
Tom K.   Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:03 am GMT
Well, I think we've pretty much covered vowel+tt+vowel on this thread. There is one other thing you might think is important, though. This is in all American accents. When you have the consonants nt with vowels on each side, as in "winter," "center," etc. don't pronounce the T. So, winter=winner, center=cenner, internet=innernet. You only pronounce the T if you are trying to emphasize something, or if you are saying a less commonly used word like "banter."
Deborah   Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:11 pm GMT
I disagree with Tom K. Many (maybe most, these days -- I don't know) people in the US don't pronounce the t in nt surrounded by vowels. However, I do, and I still know plenty of people who do. If it comes naturally to you not to pronounce the t, fine; if not, I wouldn't force yourself to say "winner", "cenner" and "innernet".
Ekko   Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
Why would anyone wanna sound like were from Joizee
Chamonix   Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:56 pm GMT
Not pronouncing the "t" inbetween vowels sounds very unedicated to me.
Just listen to TV news for exemple, where people speak standard AE and they are educated, and you will hear the "t".
Deborah   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
I wouldn't force yourself --> "I wouldn't force myself" or "don't force yourself"
Chamonix   Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:21 pm GMT
ops "unedicated" =uneducated
Kashif Khan   Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:45 am GMT
well......it has become a kind of confusion for me to understand your point of view.It started from one of my english teachers who did not agree on "T rules'.He was born in New Jersy and lived untill he turned 23.
Now he is my teacher and refuses to accept "T rules"as standered american english.Me as a learner in a dilma to start learning wheather "T rules" or not because once i take up any habbit it is difficult to break.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:44 am GMT
I'm afraid I know nuttin' about Noo Joizee except that it's close to Noo Yoik....I bet it's nothing like old Jersey which would probably fit into the Isle of Manhattan anyway and it's so close to France you can smell the garlic wafting across...... :-)

Anyway, New Yoik isn't anything like old York.....there in the English York everyone calls each other "luv"..."'ello luv..what's oop?" (English: Hello, love..what's up?") When I was in York I just luved it to bits. Know wot I mean luv?
Kirk   Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:32 am GMT
<<Not pronouncing the "t" inbetween vowels sounds very unedicated to me.
Just listen to TV news for exemple, where people speak standard AE and they are educated, and you will hear the "t".>>

What kind of pronunciation exactly are you referring to? This is how underlying phonemic /t/ is manifested in normal (and, yes, educated if that matters to you, Chamonix) NAE speech for many people:

*intervocalic /t/ after stressed vowel --> [4] (voiced alveolar tap/flap)
*/nt/ cluster after stressed vowel --> [n] or [4~]
*/tn=/ after stressed vowel ---> [?n=]
*word or utterance-final /t/ --> often [t_}], possibly [?]
*initial before vowels, /t/ --> [t_h]
*other positions /t/ --> [t]

No one is "dropping their "t's"," Chamonix. The phonemic, underlying /t/ simply gets represented in different ways depending on phonological context.
Guest   Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:19 am GMT
Yesterday, 11:47 pm #20

LOL! Some really funny threads of Language problems in the USA.....perennial linguistic differences between BE and AmE:

Yesterday, 11:47 pm #20

English accents in America
(posted by British Expats in USA)

Posted by ************

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by **** ** ******
People confuse my English accent with intelligence.

Reply:
You can also get away with some wonderful insults and people have no idea what the hell you're saying.
andre in usa to Kirk   Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:20 pm GMT
I wasn't able to play the sound file.