An Accent Of New Jersey!????

Kirk   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:42 am GMT
<<You're not talking about the card-cord merger, are you? There's no card-cord merger in New York and New Jersey. They pronounciation ''horrible'' as ''hahrrible'', but ''card'' and ''cord'' are still distinct.>>

No, I'm not talking about "card-cord." The "hahrrible" phenomenon applies to "or" followed by an unstressed vowel, so "card" and "cord" don't fit into what I was talking about. Words that may be affected by what I was talking about include "forest" "horrible" "orange" "Florida" etc.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:49 am GMT
Quote-''The "hahrrible" phenomenon applies to "or" followed by an unstressed vowel, so "card" and "cord" don't fit into what I was talking about. Words that may be affected by what I was talking about include "forest" "horrible" "orange" "Florida" etc.''

Then ''Orlando'' wouldn't fit in either, because the ''or'' is followed by a consonant. I don't think that the pronunciation of ''Orlando'' as ''Arlando'' relates to the ''hahrrible'' phenomenon at all. I've never heard ''Arlando'' for ''Orlando''.
Uriel   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:51 am GMT
It may have just been her, SpaceFlight. But she was pretty consistent -- she also referred to her state as "Flahrida".
Kirk   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:52 am GMT
<<Then ''Orlando'' wouldn't fit in either, because the ''or'' is followed by a consonant.>>

Yup, so I don't know where that came from. What I was responding to was an earlier comment by Uriel saying that we "preserve our a's and o's" or something. I just wanted to point out that some American dialects do have /Ar/ for "or" in certain positions.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:55 am GMT
<<It may have just been her, SpaceFlight. But she was pretty consistent -- she also referred to her state as "Flahrida".>>

Uriel,

What about ''far'' and ''for'', ''card'' and ''cord'' etc. Did she pronounce those the same way?
Uriel   Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:01 am GMT
Uh, you know, at the time I wasn't conducting a linguistics survey, but I don't THINK she did. That would have stood out in my mind. She probably did say things like "hahrrible", though.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:08 am GMT
<<Yup, so I don't know where that came from. What I was responding to was an earlier comment by Uriel saying that we "preserve our a's and o's" or something. I just wanted to point out that some American dialects do have /Ar/ for "or" in certain positions.>>

Yeah. Well, here in Florida ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' etc. have /Or/.
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:10 am GMT
<<She probably did say things like "hahrrible", though.>>

I don't know where she picked those pronunciations up, then. Here in Florida, such words as ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' etc. are predominantly pronounced with /Or/.
Kirk   Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:43 am GMT
<<Here in Florida, such words as ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' etc. are predominantly pronounced with /Or/.>>

Except for the NY transplants who move there to retire ;)
mezzina   Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:04 pm GMT
In the Sopranos and the Nanny, I've heard [ahr] for OR ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' .
SpaceFlight   Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
<<Here in Florida, such words as ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' etc. are predominantly pronounced with /Or/.>>

<<Except for the NY transplants who move there to retire ;)>>

I was talking about the native Floridians. I'm a native Floridian. For native Floridians such words as ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'', ''forest'' etc. are predominantly pronounced with /Or/. Yes, there are some retired New Yorkers here that will say things like ''that's hahrrible''.
Lazar   Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:26 pm GMT
I pronounce the words "horrible", "Florida", "coral", "moral", and "forest" with [Qr]. This is similar, but not identical, to the New York "harrible", "Flahrida", etc., pronunciation, because I make the father-bother distinction.
Kirk   Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:18 am GMT
<<I pronounce the words "horrible", "Florida", "coral", "moral", and "forest" with [Qr]. This is similar, but not identical, to the New York "harrible", "Flahrida", etc., pronunciation, because I make the father-bother distinction.>>

And someone unaccustomed to your accent also might interpret as "hahrrible" even tho you have [Q] and not [A] there. Lazar, I know you don't have a microphone, but I'd really like to hear a sample of your speech someday! I've just never met an American with your speech patterns.
Al   Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:24 am GMT
I'm from New York and pronounce ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'' and ''forest'' as /hArIb@l/, /flArId@/, /kAr@l/, /mAr@l/ and /fArIst/. I guess I must sound funny to the people from the West Coast.

What about the vowels in ''trap'' and ''bath''? I pronounce them /tr{p/ and /be@T/. ''bath'' has a tense vowel for me.
Kirk   Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:31 am GMT
<<I'm from New York and pronounce ''horrible'', ''Florida'', ''coral'', ''moral'' and ''forest'' as /hArIb@l/, /flArId@/, /kAr@l/, /mAr@l/ and /fArIst/. I guess I must sound funny to the people from the West Coast.>>

Well it's definitely different than what we're used to :)

<<What about the vowels in ''trap'' and ''bath''? I pronounce them /tr{p/ and /be@T/. ''bath'' has a tense vowel for me.>>

That's also a phenomenon which isn't present here on the West Coast. I have the same vowel for both of those words--it's somewhere in between /{/ and /a/ for me.