An Accent Of New Jersey!????

andre in usa   Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 am GMT
<<>>The only accent that I know I have since people have told me is that I do say Cawfee (coffee), Tawk (talk), Baws (boss), etc..<<

I don't think those're particular to NJ at all, considering that we have all those pronunciations over here in southeastern Wisconsin, them being, to be exact (using X-SAMPA):

coffee : ["k_hOfi:]
talk : ["t_hOk]
boss : ["bOs] >>

I think what's particular about /O/ in NJ (really greater New York) is the extremeness of the sound, and can be heard by those with the strong accent as "cwaffee." (I won't attempt to do x-sampa). Is this called an upglide? I think so.
andre in usa   Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:18 am GMT
Well, I guess that would more accurately be "kwawfee" using a faux-phonetic spelling.
Alyson   Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
I know what you are talking about w/ 'kwawfee' and that is how people say it w/ a heavy NY/long island accent. I don't know anyone w/ a supposed Jersey accent that says the word like that. I recognize it on others which means that I am def. not saying it to that extreme. I just go w/ 'cawfee.'
Melissa   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Hello I am from Toms River New Jersey... here is a few examples...

Orange:"Are-range"
Vanilla: "Va-nella"
Because: "Be-Caws"
Talk: "Tawk"
Dog: "Dowg"
Coffee:"Cawfee"

But not everybody "tawks"s the same.

put w's in words like song, talk, walk, dog, coffee,
Melissa   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:32 am GMT
Just to clear this up no one from New Jersey, says Joizee !
someone from New Jersey   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:40 am GMT
And where are you from Cee ? Why are you on an New Jersey accent forum if you can not stand it?

Do me a favor don't come no where near the east coast.
Ana   Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 pm GMT
I'm from Bergen County, and even though most people say the strong accent comes from South Jersey. I say harrible (horrible) farin (foreign) farist (forest) arange (orange) and drAer (drawer).

I guess it depends on the person. Because Jersey can be known for its open A pronunciations
Adam   Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
"Do me a favor don't come no where near the east coast. "

I don't like double negatives. They are horrible.

In this sentence you are telling them that they SHOULD go near the East Coast.
Adam   Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:44 pm GMT
Your use of full stops and other grammar is also sadly lacking.

Is it true that kids are most interested in learning baseball and cheerleading in American schools rather than proper subjects such as what we call in Britain "the three Rs" - reading, 'riting and 'rythmetic'?
User   Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
>> Is it true that kids are most interested in learning baseball and cheerleading in American schools rather than proper subjects such as what we call in Britain "the three Rs" - reading, 'riting and 'rythmetic'? <<

In America they've been replaced by eading (eating), hiding, and rhythmics.
NY   Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 am GMT
A lot of these accents are just stereotypes created by the cinema.

"I live in new jersey and no one says joisey. I dont know where people get that from. There is an accent but its nothing like that."

Heh, I think that's something we New Yorkers may have started in our ever ending war with you guys ;)
Guest   Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:21 am GMT
<<Is it true that kids are most interested in learning baseball and cheerleading in American schools rather than proper subjects such as what we call in Britain "the three Rs" - reading, 'riting and 'rythmetic'? >>

Rhythmic arithmetics?

From what I saw in England, most Poms are interested in becoming "chavs" or ea'ing (eating) to become the fat parent of a "chav".
Guest   Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
>>
"I live in new jersey and no one says joisey. I dont know where people get that from. There is an accent but its nothing like that. <<

From Wikipedia:
The General American [3`] and [OI] : In the most old-fashioned and extreme New York–area accents, the vowel sounds of words like girl and of words like oil both become a diphthong [3I]. This is often misperceived by speakers of other accents as a "reversal" of the "er" and "oy" sounds, so that girl is pronounced "goil" and oil is pronounced "erl"; this leads to the caricature of New Yorkers saying things like "Joizey" and "terlet". This particular speech pattern is no longer very prevalent; the character Archie Bunker was a good example of a speaker who had this feature. Younger New Yorkers (born since about 1950) are likely to use a rhotic [3`] in bird even if they use nonrhotic pronunciations of beard, bared, bard, board, boor, and butter. Similarly, the line-loin merger is sporadically heard in New York.
floridagirl   Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
I was born and raised (and still reside) about 40 minutes from orlando. I pronounce Florida, orange, forest and horrible with the AR sound, but pronouce moral and coral with a stronger O sound.
Lazar   Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
I pronounce all those words with what can only be described (in my Massachusetts accent) as an "aw" sound:

Florida - ["flQr\@4@]
orange - ["Qr\@ndZ]
forest - ["fQr\Ist]
horrible - ["hQr\@b5=]
moral - ["mQr\@5]
coral - ["k_hQr\@5]

This is because I preserve the "father-bother" distinction. In my accent, the words "sorry", "sari", and "story" all use different vowels.