dealing with rude people in western nations

Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:05 am GMT
today i was at mcdonals and one boy was keep looking at me so i said to him you have a crush on me boy?
he suddenley said bitch and disappeared
i wanted to cry..
what do you do with such evil people help me
Reply   Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:13 am GMT
Sorry to hear that.
I'm also sorry to tell you that you're in the wrong forum.
Skippy   Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:19 am GMT
This is atypical. Do not assume that this is a Western thing.

There are mean people everywhere, you've just got to accept it and, if it's still too much for you, move to Texas :-)
Wintereis   Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:34 am GMT
Part of his reaction probably stems from what you said. Yes, it is rude to stair at people. And I am sorry that he called you such a bad name. I don't know where you are in the western world, but in the U.S. it is also unseemly to be so forward as you were to him. Subtlety tends to be the name of the game here. Also, your use of the word "crush" may have upset him. A crush, in this usage of the word, is when a person develops an attraction to another person over an extended period of time and is usually deeper and has more of an emotional connection than could occur during a one time encounter at a McDonalds. In this particular case the word to use is attraction . . . so, "You are attracted to me” would have been a more suitable statement. I know it must be a terrible culture shock to you, but romance is tricky when both people are native speakers of a language. It only gets more difficult when different cultures and languages are added to the mix.
Skippy   Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:07 am GMT
You could always say "Take a picture, it'll last longer." That one always works lol
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 am GMT
Or you could just say "let's go back to my place"?
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:10 am GMT
<<"You are attracted to me” would have been a more suitable statement.>>

Really? That would be a pretty forward and strange thing to say, IMO.
Wintereis   Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
<<Really? That would be a pretty forward and strange thing to say,IMO>>

Guest, did you read the rest of the statement? I was talking about the differences between crush and attraction. I was not telling her to go say that to a stranger. And do not say "lets go back to my place" to a stranger esp. as an opener.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:18 pm GMT
The best thing to do is to turn around, and not say anything. Things seem to work better when you pretend that certain people do not exist.

I live in a city, and it is common for people to approach you on the streets and ask for money. It happens at least five times per day; therefore, most of us are programmed to look ahead (or at the ground), shake our heads when presented with the request, and keep on walking. Some take a different approach, and tell panhandlers and gawkers to go to hell, but that often leads to hostility and backlash.

This could very well be how many of us city types are stereotyped as being cold and unfriendly, but in general, most of us do not want to be bothered with people wasting our time and/or energy.
pimpope   Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:38 am GMT
hahaha, That is so funny !

If you were in the LA area that would be perfectly normal , there a lot of biatches there.

I wonder what country you are from ? that that made you to cry.
Laura Braun   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:18 am GMT
Yeah, 2 months ago I was at Mcdonlands. I went to take a straw and napkins then a black man who took some coca asked me if I want to take his place and suddenly when he passed by me he hit me on my back and said bitch. What kind of complex he had I have no idea. It was so sudden then I asked if God can forgive him as I was trying to forgive, but I was angry at such disperspect and misbehaviour. That's my reason to say I don't want to go to Mc. Donalds anymore. It's full with crap and not polite people.
Laura Braun   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 am GMT
Guest if you said to someone do you have a crush on me than may be means invitation of somethg like if you asked 'do you want to sex with me'. I'm not completely convinced for what I'm saying but in your case it sounds like this.
Lora Brown   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am GMT
'do you want to sex with me'

Sex what?
Laura Braun   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:50 am GMT
listen Lora it's possible for me to write by mistake, nothing to worry, I wish if you can talk in your own language and to write in egnlish at the same time. It's not so easy. Believe me. I wanted to say that when you ask someone stranger 'do you have a crush on me' that means 'do you like me ', 'do you wish to have a sex with me'. That's pretty obvious.
Lora Brown   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 am GMT
It depends on how it was said. I can well imagine it coming off as sounding very sarcastic, indeed mocking, which could have been what got the lad's knickers in a twist and caused him to throw a stinker like that.