What on earth does a leftist and rightist mean in English?

Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:30 am GMT
Who is this mysterious power who has 'already made the decision for them'? God?
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:32 am GMT
The shadow government.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 am GMT
The Elite. Plutocracy.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 am GMT
A leftist believes that your life should be run and organised by Society and that you are never really responsible for your own actions...it's always the fault of someone else.

A rightist believes that you are the sole guardian of your own life and Society has only the minimum influence in its control and that you are directly responsible for your own actions...it's never the fault of someone else.

I know which policy I adhere to and it ain't the first one.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:56 am GMT
A rightist someone who uses God as an excuse to invade countries. Or is that a conservatist? A leftist in one who makes concentration camps for rich people.

Anyway.. The best would be anarchy...
Travis   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59 am GMT
>>So are you saying the Republicans want to lose the elections? Are you saying Al Gore couldn't have won if a few more people had voted for him? What would they have done, shot him?<<

But this is where the whole illusion of choice thing comes in. Sure, Al Gore could have been elected. But aside from the few pet issues of some particular conservatives and liberals (in the US sense), what really difference would it have made in the end? Either way, American society would not have changed much as a whole. By giving people the chance to elect candidates, the people can be led to believe they have a choice, when they really do not have much impact upon what candidates they can vote for in the first place and they have even less impact upon what those individuals will really do once elected to office.
Travis   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 am GMT
That should be "real difference" above.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22 pm GMT
There is choice but you have to be smart about it. You have to be rich so you can influence people.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:16 pm GMT
"A leftist believes that your life should be run and organised by Society and that you are never really responsible for your own actions...it's always the fault of someone else................."

Obsolete.
A leftist believes in equality, a rightist believes in domination.
Wintereis   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:49 pm GMT
Damien, for shame. I didn't realize that you were so simple. To believe that society, at an epistemic level, is not always influencing your life without your concent. You need a little more philosophy in your life. Here is your rugged individualism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T5bMehkUXQ&amp;feature=related

It must be their own fault because we all know the society that they were in only has a minimal effect. (I think it is a little more complex than that)
Skippy   Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm GMT
<<A leftist believes in equality, a rightist believes in domination>>

This is such an overgeneralization that it reads as a sad attempt to legitimize "leftism."
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
Wintereis......I think I unwittingly led you astray with my comment above. Of course I didn't mean Society....I meant to say the State! My slip up. I think you will agree there is a world of difference.

Of course we are all influenced AND controlled by Society. But who in their right mind wishes to be controlled by the State?
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm GMT
Me.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm GMT
Leftism is legitimate everywhere in the world with an exception of the totalitarian rightist regimes such as US
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:03 pm GMT
"leftism" in its purest sense, seeks to remove both personal responsibility as well as economic and moral freedom, as does "rightism."

The US is not totalitarian or "rightist."