My Accent

Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 am GMT
How can it be, like, "Valley Girl"? I don't hear any, like, "likes",or, like "awesomes" in there? How can you say that it sounds like Valley Girl?
Francis   Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:54 am GMT
>> It's Vancouver or Valley Girl accent. Strong CVS but no Canadian raising. <<

Nope. I'm neither from Canada nor from San Fernando Valley ;) And what's CVS and Canadian raising, btw?
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am GMT
-How can you say that it sounds like Valley Girl?-

Valley girl phonetics but without Valley Girl lexicon.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am GMT
my try: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

People there are low back merged, [Q] (rounded merged vowel) is common
Levee   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:50 am GMT
I would be very surprised if he turned out to be from Pennsyllvania. The way he pronounces his "long O" sounds suggests a more northerly location.
Because Francis is pressing us so hard to pin it down to one city, I say Boise, Idaho.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
>> The way he pronounces his "long O" sounds suggests a more northerly location. >>

What's the long "o"? The same as the short "o", or do you mean the "o" in words like "bone"?
Jasper   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
Listening casually (but not too closely), I couldn't hear any Rocky Mountain Dialect in Francis's speech; this seems to preclude Boise, ID. On the other hand, I heard some vowel raising once or twice, but not at all consistently. I'd guess Seattle, WA.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
>> I heard some vowel raising once or twice <<

Which words did you hear the vowel raising in?
Francis   Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:14 pm GMT
>> You also sound like you're about 80 years old. <<

Really? Do I really sound that old?!?
Jasper   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 am GMT
We must first assume that you're not a transplant, or are not cheating by code-switching; you're not, are you?

After listening to the sample--this time more closely--I couldn't detect any vowel-raising, or really, little aberration from the generally-accepted idea of General American English. Once or twice, I thought I heard monophthongization of the long "o", but I wasn't sure; if this perception is accurate, this would place the dialect as being that of a northern-tier state on the West Coast.

My original guess of Seattle, WA, still seems to fit the bill. Do tell, Francis: where are you from?
Levee   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 am GMT
I though 'long o' was quite an unambiguous name for the vowel of words like 'bone'.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 am GMT
>> After listening to the sample--this time more closely--I couldn't detect any vowel-raising, or really, little aberration from the generally-accepted idea of General American English. <<

Hmm. It doesn't sound anything like General American to me at all. It's cot-caught merged. It's quite accented.
Jasper   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 am GMT
"It's cot-caught merged. It's quite accented."

While the conservative definition of General American English is indeed cot/caught unmerged, in practice this has become rather rare; modern-day definitions of GAE no longer preserve the cot/caught merger. In any case, Francis's cot/caught merger still seems to place him somewhere on the West Coast.

By the comment, "It's quite accented", could you please be more specific?

In my case, a caveat is in order: I'm trying to listen to Francis's sample on an aged eMac with not-so-good speakers, so I am working under a handicap.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
I wonder why so many people replied Canadian earlier. Didn't they hear the word the word "sorry" was pronounced: [sar\i] ?

>> >> You also sound like you're about 80 years old. <<

Really? Do I really sound that old?!? <<

No, much younger. I would guess about 40 or 50.
Guest   Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:05 am GMT
>> Listening casually (but not too closely), I couldn't hear any Rocky Mountain Dialect in Francis's speech; this seems to preclude Boise, ID. On the other hand, I heard some vowel raising once or twice, but not at all consistently. I'd guess Seattle, WA. <<

What's the difference in dialect between Boise and Seattle?