Is Mexican Spanish uniform?

Super Korean   Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:01 am GMT
<That doesn't tell anything in real economic terms, Mexico's GDP per capita almost doubles that of Brazil and that doesn't mean that the Mexican economy is stronger than the Brazilian economy. And why South Korea is not in the group of G8 + 5 ? Brazil and Mexico (even though they are not developed countries) are there.>

Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland and many other European countries are not in the group of "G8 + 5" either.
Does that mean Mexico and Brazil are richer than those countries?

Plus, South Korea has a higher HDI value than Mexico.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

I'm not saying Mexico is a dump or a trashy country; I just wanted to say Koreans are going to Mexico for the businesses not for the better quality of life.
I love Mexico and respect your people and culture and I belive Mexico is a country with great potential. That's why Koreans are going to Mexico.
Marinheiro   Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:54 pm GMT
I'm not Mexican dude. I'm just saying that those indicators are just measuring the income distribution among the population thus the quality of life but not the real strength of the economy in the country.

Brazil has a highest GDP (nominal) than South Korea but, the Brazilian GDP per capita is only the half of Mexico. Does that makes the Brazilian economy weaker than the South Korean one? I don't think so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Everybody knows that Brazil and Mexico are among the most corrupt nations on earth so a few ones (the elites) live like kings impoverishing at the same time the majority of the population. If the criminal elities in Latin America were the only population left in those countries they will be with no doubt first world countries.
Veracruzano   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
Just one thing mate, I wouldn't say "there are kings empoverishing the rest" it's more about Northern states being developed and Sourthern ones not (like in Brazil but the opposite) so yeah Brazil and Mexico and some others might have huge economies but truly what matters (at least for the people) is the quality of life.
Lisa   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 am GMT
Guest 2: You have to understand that most, Mexican(and other Latin American) immigrants are uneducated. The neutral Spanish is usually aquired (and it's NOT forced or faked) in school, and/or from home if you're parents are educated. The less educated you are, the more of a regional accent you'll have along with distinct vocabulary. Of course, regardless of education, people of each region have their own ways of saying things, and sometimes the regional accent might slip out once in awhile. The point is, though, that the more educated you are the less differences there will between someone from one region and someone from another.

Colombian Spanish isn't neutral, or pure or the best despite what others say. RAE can say whatever they want, but everyone knows how slow they are at keeping up. ANYONE who has access to a good education or is educated will speak a neutral or near neutral(when I say this I mean in respect only to phonetics like with Puerto Ricans/Cubans, etc., where their accent is hard to get rid of) Spanish. Not just the Colombians. They have DO a very peculiar, somewhat sing-song accent that distinguishes them as Colombians as well as their use of USTED to address EVERYONE including friends. They're the only ones who address people like that at all times. I don't know how you can call that neutral. It's ridiculous how some people claim that Mexican Spanish is less neutral than Colombian Spanish because Mexicans 'supposedly' always
use: 'chale', 'orale', 'que onda', say alberca instead of piscina(when both are correct) or they think that the way Chilangos speak is the way all Mexicans, regardless of the level of education, speak. That couldn't be further from the truth. You won't ever hear educated people saying 'que onda guey', or 'orale' unless they're with friends or are joking around. EVERY single country and it's regions have their own jargon, INCLUDING Colombia. Don't be fooled people.
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:17 am GMT
I thought speakers in Chile also tend to use "Usted". Not true?
Lisa   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Not so sure about that, but I know Colombians are notorious for their use of 'Usted' when addressing people.
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Is "pinche pendejo" and "güey" used in all parts of Mexico?
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Hmm, Wiki says Chilenos use four forms of "you". That seems to differ with my source. I don't find Columbians to be the easiest speakers of Spanish. Costa Rican is the most difficult for me as I am not used to their slang yet.
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:42 am GMT
I mean "differs from my source". I only mean that I find other varieties of Spanish easier to understand.
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:43 am GMT
There's no such thing as an "easiest" form of Spanish. It just depends on what you learnt and what you're used to.
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 am GMT
"Is "pinche pendejo" and "güey" used in all parts of Mexico?"

>>It's not as simple as that, "pinche pendejo" is an insult (stupid retard) and it could truly be used anywhere not just Mexico, regarding the word "Wey" yes, it is used in pretty much all Mexico (it's something like dude, man, mate, etc.), for example: "Que onda wey" (Sup man) or "Wey osea nada que ver" (Yo' helloo what are you talking about?!) or "Un wey vino y me pidio varo" (Some dude came and asked me for money), etc.
Lisa   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 am GMT
What I meant was that Colombians use "Usted" even when addressing friends or persons their familiar with instead of using the second person "Tu". "Usted" is usually used only when addressing a stranger or someone with respect, like the elderly.
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 am GMT
No existe una forma má fácil del casteyano, depende de lo que as aprendio, y a qué está acostumbrao. Pa mí, todo son iguale de fácile.
Lisa   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:55 am GMT
"...they're familiar with". Being lazy tonight. lol.
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:55 am GMT
"There's no such thing as an "easiest" form of Spanish. It just depends on what you learnt and what you're used to."

Actually I agree with you. It is only my opinion.