Attempted murder!

Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:54 pm GMT
**It wouldn't make sense to teach a new English speaker a dialect at first. Which dialect would be the best one to teach a new English learner? **

They are taught a dialect, They're taught the standard English dialect.
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 pm GMT
<A dialect is much more than pointing and grunting. Sometimes speaking a dialect also involves slobbering and making gibberish utterances, maybe with some clicking of the tongue.>

Sounds like the language used in YOUR posts.
Benny   Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 am GMT
**Sounds like the language used in YOUR posts. **

Uh, Morgan or MollyB, can you make a clicking sound with your tongue when you say that?
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:09 am GMT
Теchnically, there is no point in continuing this discussion at all, for the original question was presented in such an illogical manner that it boggles the mind. The English language is inanimate, thus it is completely absurd to say one can "murder" it. I really am quite infuriated by such misuse of common linguistic units! Really, people need to learn English before making claims so devoid of simple reasoning! For heaven's sake, I feel my mind's been made a mushy mud mountain!
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:16 am GMT
<<<Теchnically, there is no point in continuing this discussion at all, for the original question was presented in such an illogical manner that it boggles the mind. The English language is inanimate, thus it is completely absurd to say one can "murder" it. >>>>

Wake up to real English!

I could murder a beer/curry/pint right now.

I could murder him for borrowing my car.
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:23 am GMT
Real English:

They really murdered that song.
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
**Wake up to real English!**

A native English speaker would never use that expression. That's very awkward.
Caz   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 pm GMT
*A native English speaker would never use that expression. That's very awkward. *

You're wrong, Guest. It's wholly idiomatic. Are you a non-native speaker of English?
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 pm GMT
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=95329&dict=CALD

could murder sth UK INFORMAL

If you say you could murder a type of food or drink, it means you would like to have it now:

I could murder a cup of tea!
guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
Wake up to real English is idiomatic? I've never heard anything like that! Sounds like something someone who learned English as an adult would say.
Lord Haw Haw   Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:41 am GMT
<<I could murder a beer/curry/pint right now. I could murder him for borrowing my car. >>

I could murder my mother and then *drink* a pint. The old whore is passed out drunk again in her bedroom on the floor next to her bed, which is in fact right next to the desk under the computer I'm working on at this moment. Sorry if the sentences ramble on a little. The Soma has kicked in very nicely and I don't need my clothes anymore. I could take a break from my naked typing just long enough to pinch the old lady's nose and shove a rubber ball in her mouth. Or, ....

I could smear a can of wet dogfood on her face and give her a good solid KICK to the head with my boot and then turn on the gas and go for a walk. Or,... I could take a wire coathanger and beat her with it until morning. And you thought coathangers were only for abortions! Well, you learned something new here tonight. Coathangers are also for elder abuse. IF YA GOT'EM, USE'EM!!

Or, ... I could put her in the bathtub with a wet toaster and throw in a lamp and a hair dryer and a radio for good measure.

I gotta kick this bitch and get out of here. All right.
Caz   Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:22 pm GMT
*Wake up to real English is idiomatic? I've never heard anything like that! Sounds like something someone who learned English as an adult would say. *

Which part of the sentence do you have a problem with?

wake up to reality
wake up to Saddam
wake up to terror
wake up to...
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
What a stupid discussion.
Caz   Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:56 pm GMT
<What a stupid discussion. >

Why do you think that?
MrPedantic   Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm GMT
<This forum is just an insignificant part of the whole internet, and it's clearly a bunch of trolls and fanatics who don't have a clue what they are talking about.>

I find the distribution of opinion suspect, in some of these threads. On a normal forum, there are shades of opinion, with different kinds of phrasing, spelling mistake, etc. But here, several supposedly different posters will suddenly arrive, all sharing one opinion and one idiolect, and attacking one poster.

Perhaps the last 3 digits of IP addresses should be shown.

MrP