How can I disguise my native language?

Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 am GMT
>> I will talk to them in language X and it turns out that they really cannot speak the language AT ALL, they STUDIED it or I will hear their speech and ow! it's like 'What in Sam Hill is that? What are they trying to say?" <<

Or it could be that they just are shy while speaking the language.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:15 pm GMT
>> Google seems to work fine even there's some mistakes in the original spanish. <<

Maybe the author wrote in in English and then had it translated into Spanish.
Matteo   Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am GMT
When they answer in English, just say "es tut mir leid, ich verstehe kein Russisch"
Breiniak   Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
Also, if they don't talk English to you, regardless of your accent, it's a sign you're fluent at it. You're fluent if you use idioms even a native doesn't know about or are creative enough to invent them on your own without sounding awkward.
A Serbian music teacher of mine used to talk with a heavy Slavic accent, but her Dutch was almost as good as mine. No one questions her fluency. People actually only do when your sentences are too simple.

Sucks for you you can't practice to become that fluent though.
Guest   Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:52 am GMT
<<You're fluent if you use idioms even a native doesn't know about >>

That's actually a sign that you are not fluent. Real native speakers know which idioms to use and which not to use. Using an obscure idiom will be a dead give away you're not a native.
Breiniak   Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 am GMT
Depends on the frequency you use them IMO. It's of course important to use at in the right context so people know its meaning. I get your point though. ^^