Is this Romanian?

Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm GMT
http://ondinna.wordpress.com/2007/12/09/subiecte-tari-astazi-despre-foame/

It looks so much like Latin without those accent marks.
Q.E.D.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
Yes, this is in Romanian and, coincidentally, a quite interesting post about Knut Hamsun, the Nobel prize winner for literature in 1920.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
>It looks so much like Latin without those accent marks.

you mean you knew it when you saw it *with accents* and now you couldn't recognize it *without accents* ? Why did you open this thread? It doesn't make sense to me :-/
Caspian   Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
Wow, it really does look like Latin! People always stress how close Italian is to Latin, but, compared to Romanian, it is nothing!

Perhaps instead of assuming that Latin was spoken exactly like modern day English, they should assume that the pronounciation were more like Romanian.
Q.E.D.   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
Indeed, the post doesn't make much sense.

Cheers
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:46 pm GMT
Seriously - without the tildes it still looks like a bastardization of Latin; for instance, many words are rendered or deleted regarding Latin words. It kind of looks Turkish.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:02 am GMT
>many words are rendered or deleted regarding Latin words

You play too much with your computer and other electronic toys. Get a life and stop talking nonsense.

Admins, please delete this troll thread.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:54 am GMT
The only trolls here, quite frankly, are the Romanian nationalists declaring over and over on Antimoon their language is the true descendant of Latin.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:03 am GMT
I am the one who posted this and I am from North America -- I studied Latin in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades -- thanks a lot. To someone who has probably studied Latin for more years than many or most of you posting here (and also was paid by my school to tutor other students in Latin), Romanian startlingly resembles Latin. I was shocked somewhat because I had never seen it without its weird accent marks before.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 am GMT
These Romanian should be banned. We don't need their drivel here.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:43 am GMT
<< These Romanian should be banned. We don't need their drivel here. >>

You're the one that should be banned in here. Romanians have the right to post messages here about their language. We can't do anything if the impression of non-Romanian speaking people in this forum have the impression that it's the closest to Latin.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:33 am GMT
>>>>I am the one who posted this and I am from North America -- I studied Latin in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades -- thanks a lot. To someone who has probably studied Latin for more years than many or most of you posting here (and also was paid by my school to tutor other students in Latin), Romanian startlingly resembles Latin. I was shocked somewhat because I had never seen it without its weird accent marks before.<<<<

Latin is not you forte if you say Romanian is the closest to Latin. In actuality Sardinian is the closest. Plus, the history of the Romanian language is obscured to the greater part. The only thing Romanian has is the declension with some old Latin words. I was shocked to observe that Romanian resembled Turkish without its tildes.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 am GMT
>>>We can't do anything if the impression of non-Romanian speaking people in this forum have the impression that it's the closest to Latin<<<

People generally categorize Italian as the direct descendant of Latin. Many linguists / scholars categorize it with Sardinian. A few, however, categorize it with Romanian due to some of its passé Latin words in the other Romance languages, and its retention of the 1 declension - but that's it - but even that is debatable. lol.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
>I was shocked to observe that Romanian resembled Turkish without its tildes.

Sorry but I don't see any relation between Romanian and Turkish, w/ or w/o diacritics (btw, Romanian doesn't have tilde as a diacritic).
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
>>
Perhaps instead of assuming that Latin was spoken exactly like modern day English, they should assume that the pronounciation were more like Romanian. <<

Even in very conservative-like languages, pronunciation changes just as much as in other forms of the language. Latin was pronounced no more like modern Romanian than using a modern English pronunciation system. In fact, it may as well be better to use the Anglo version anyway, as you can easily remember how words are spelt, and even their long marks, since you can use the tense-lax distinction in English to simulate the long short distinction in Latin.