the best input at all.

Leena   Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:54 am GMT
hi.. i would like to ask abt what is the best input in learning english very well.I have read abt it in the same site but its really difficult and takes a lot of time.Here Id like from every one in the forum to tell abt his or her experience in choosing the best input.I think you all know what I meant by input.They are like stories,books,movies or anything.Plz try mentioning names and examples for that.I want it to be quiet clear.I appreciate all people who r gonna reply.thank u
Leena........
leena   Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:37 am GMT
I think no one could understand what i meant.I mean what are the items you use in learning english and you could find a big benefit in.Mention names of things that really were helpful and made u learn english in a very short time.For me i like to read play books like OUR TOWN.Its really nice play and has a lot of dialuge that is used much in our daily life.What about u.
Stan   Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:05 am GMT
leena

Well, I believe you were perfectly understood, but you could have been clearer in your question as the definition of "input" itself is not clear concerning its usage in your chosen subject.

Very few people will encourage you to read nineteenth century British literature books as a learner of the language, but believe me when I say it will help a lot. I suggest reading the books of the likes of Charles Dickens and R.L Stevenson, even the books of H.G Wells and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Their books will give you an indepth insight into the use of the language and allow you some degree of creativity.
leena   Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:22 am GMT
thank u stan for your reply.This play wasnt written in the nineteenth century but in the twenty century.The author is Thornton Wilder the most famous american writer.The same play i mentioned is very easy to understand and has a lot of simple sentences that makes everyone able to learn.When I say input I mean things like movies,books,novels,magazines or anything like this.The word INPUT is existing in the same site.I didnt bring it from my pocket lool.Please guys come and put examples of things were really helpful in learning.Dont be so miser.You are going to make benefits for every one wants to learn english.
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:35 pm GMT
Try saying "..in the twentieth century" "...Don't be so miserly" and "You are going to benefit everyone who wants to learn English." (Benefit is a verb as well as a noun.)
leena   Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:21 am GMT
hi uriel.thank u 4 ur comments.still need more
Uriel   Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
I would think that being able to have real-life conversations with a native English-speaker would be your best bet, especially if they are willing to correct you on a regular basis. Failing that, listening to movies or TV would help you get used to the sounds and rhythms of speech, while books (especially with a lot of dialogue) would help you build vocabulary and help you see how words are put together at a more comfortable pace for you, where you don't have to worry about trying to keep up with a speaker or missing half their words as you mentally translate. Practicing speaking and writing will help you as well.
leena   Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:56 am GMT
very great advises but they are a bit difficult to do in fact.I m trying to speak always but sometimes i make terrible mistakes in grammar and i m so much hesitant.This actually worries me.When that time comes i feel myself very confident in speaking???
Boy   Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:55 pm GMT
Leena,

2 years ago I was just like you. My English was full of grammar mistakes.
I want to give only one piece of advice and that is: when you want to learn something as difficult as a language which is entirely different from that of your native language then you have to be patient enough to see the improvement. I was a frustrated learner like you when I had embarked on learning English but I changed my thinking. I said to myself that I'd spend more time on reading and looking up words and watching movies. I didn't speak at all during that time but now whenever I have an opportunity to speak in English. I speak quite fluently in it because now I have known so many phrases, words and expressions in order to express my thoughts. The key thing of learning a language is not too much worried about output. You just keep feeding English input to your brain and it'll come up with right words when you need them. So spend more time on reading and listening activities. If you want to improve your speaking skills then buy a portable voice recorder. Record your voice in it and play it over and over again. I'm sure that you'll catch your grammar mistakes and rectify them. Also, you'll improve your fluency in that way. This method is working very well for me. I speak one hour daily to myself and my inhibitions for speaking with someone else are now disappeared.

A couple of days ago I went for a job interview. There were three aged guys who had conducted my interview. They spoke in my native language and they were really insulting me. One of guys asked me a question in English: I spoke for 2 minutes without a stop and I was speaking like I was giving a lecture to them and they were my students. Afterwards, they didn't ask anything from me but rather they were giving a smile to me. Sounds like talking to myself really did wonders for me and I got a great deal of confidence so give it a try!
Guest   Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm GMT
>>I speak quite fluently in it because now I have known so many phrases, words and expressions in order to express my thoughts.<<

Yes! That's the point! And I'm sure you beat them, but that was your job interview, so ...
Uriel   Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:52 pm GMT
As you can see, Boy's English is very good, Leena, so his methid must be working!

I think it's entirely normal for you to feel awkward and hesitant. Don't worry about it; everyone goes through the same thing. Just keep practicing! It takes time.
leena   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:09 am GMT
thank u Boy very much for your emotional support to me.You really gave me a big hope that i will oneday be able to speak english fluently.I always spend much time in reading and coping new words but they quickly disappear out of my mind.Ones I thought of memorizing the whole dictionary but of course it wasnt a good idea.Actually i spend little time in watching movies,but now i think seriously to rent a dvd and watch a lot of movies.I have a question.How many movies i have to watch to help me achieve this goal?plz Boy i want u to answer me according to your practical experience.The question goes also to all members of the forum.
leena   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:10 am GMT
hi guest thank u for your reply.
leena   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:13 am GMT
i really appreciate your replys.(Is it replys or replies?).I will keep practicing.thank u so much.
Boy   Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:27 pm GMT
Leena,

I don't like to watch fighting movies because they don't have so many dialogues in them. I had started watching teenage movies initially because they contained a lot of dialogues. Movies of "Lindsay Lohan" and "Hillary Duff" are very good movies. You must watch them. Apart from that, when if I watch a movie of "Richard Gere" then I also watch his other movies. It is same true for other actors and actresses.

If you want to feel comfortable in watching movies without any headaches then I must say watching 100 movies is a good benchmark. After watching that many movies you won't have a problem in understanding other movies in future. This is just my observation. For me watching American movies is a snap after being exposed to accents of different American actors and actresses. Learning slang terms and idioms was a plus point in understanding them more better.

It is also a good idea to save one hour for learning some American slang terms and idioms individually. Half hour each. It is my personal observation that you are going to hear atleast one or two idioms in the movie and slang terms of course.

All tips are aside, lets's woo baby, it's time for real work. :) sorry for my filmi language.