English test

Larissa   Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:29 pm GMT
"I suppose 'u(r)' means 'you(r)'? Stupid child" For some information, I'm not the only one writing u('r) that way ok? even in this forum, u'r is easier and quicker to write than you('r).

"Yet you keep prostituting yourself and your stupidity to this website." well, it's ur opion 'bout me, and for that matter I don't care, u can think what u want
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:43 pm GMT
Go home little girl, go play with your dolls.
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:39 am GMT
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Remember
I'm good AT English not I'm good in." Don't Americans say "good IN English, good IN math"? And don't they say I'm IN school instead of I'm AT school? Please correct me if I'm wrong! thanks
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm from America, have lived here my entire life...and I've never heard anyone say good in English/Math or I'm in School, nor have I ever said that. It's always "at."
Larissa   Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:42 am GMT
but in my English dictionary, they say "good AT something" is used in Britain but "good IN something" in the US! Another example don't Americans say "learn something IN instead of AT school?"
Guest   Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:57 am GMT
I think "in school" more often than not means you've enrolled but haven't yet graduated or quit. "At school" normally means that you've gone to the school grounds and haven't come back yet.
Travis   Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:53 am GMT
>>but in my English dictionary, they say "good AT something" is used in Britain but "good IN something" in the US! Another example don't Americans say "learn something IN instead of AT school?"<<

At least in my NAE dialect (that of Milwaukee, WI), one would say "good AT something", *not* "good IN something", which sounds rather unfamiliar and almost like a non-native usage to me.
Max   Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:12 am GMT
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
but in my English dictionary, they say "good AT something" is used in Britain but "good IN something" in the US! Another example don't Americans say "learn something IN instead of AT school?"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Could you please specify what dictionary you referred to, Larissa?

I agree with Guest (Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:57 am GMT) on the "in/at school" thing. Any other thoughts?