Top 100 Languages by Population

Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
<< Are you sure about that? France "once was" a cultural superpower, but much of its cultural power today in linked to the past, in more of a nostalgic way. The other month I even read a TIME magazine article titled - France: In search of past glories. Note the word "past".
The US has the most influencial culture worldwide today by far and is the cultural superpower, not France. Only snooty, francophiles think otherwise. >>

Yes, I'm so sure about that. US is good only in producing movies but when it comes to art, literature, fashion, and things that have something to do with culture US is way below. It's values is criticized so much all over the world. Sorry!

<< And don't get me wrong Guest. I don't think French is unimportant or that it is in danger. Only that I think some give it too much importance and prestige given the current situation with English and other large growing regional langauges. >>

No it's not and you're the only one who says that.

<< Sorry but it is doubtful that French will displace English in those Anglophone African coutries you listed. Maybe it will make some inroads as you say, but seriously, what would a developing country have to gain by replacing English with French??? Nothing. English is the dominate international language so they would be better off with English. >>

Look at ex-brit colonies in Africa, it has the lowest literacy rate in the continent. Now don't insist Zimbabwe because it used to have large numbers of british settlers. Therefore native africans benefited from what was done there for the whites.

South Africa is somewhat developed because of the Afrikaners. So where talking about here african countries populated and run by africans.

In case you didn't know that Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda are striving to make Swahili as their official language to replace English while in Francophone Africa no such movement is being done because the French care so mush about the educational needs of its people. In Egypt French is competing neck to neck ith English. In Nigeria, French is becoming more and more widespread where French is require in secondary schoos and it even has a French speaking village called Badagry to help students in French studies. Ghana too has made French mandatory in its HS curricula.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
I don't think Argentinian (more than a half with Italian origins) want to be associated to Spain. For Italians, Spain is a poor Colonia of Roman Empire. The same for Mexicans that did a war for independence.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
<< Russian was compulsory in Eastern Europe, but not now. So, it will decline in the near future. >>

There's a renewed interest again in Eastern Europe for Russian because they realized they're not really part of the English speaking world they just studied it to have enough vocabulary and grammar to have sufficient communication just like the Scandinavian and the Dutch who speak broken English despite years of study. So English language is not worshipped in these areas. It just happened that the leading economic and military superpower is an English speaking country.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
<< Economic power (Estimated, 2010): English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German >>

I can say that French, Russian, German, and Italian should also be included. The core countries of those languages are part of G8 while Chinese, and Spanish are not.

Maybe it's right to say that these languages in your list along with Arabic are in forefront when it comes to marketing consumer products because they have a huge number of consumers and French should also be included because of Africa and Hindi too.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
"I can say that French, Russian, German, and Italian should also be included. The core countries of those languages are part of G8 while Chinese, and Spanish are not."

No, mon ami. China (3rd) and Spain (8th) should be in the G8, instead of Canada (9th) and Russia (11th), taking into account economic power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

"For Italians, Spain is a poor Colonia of Roman Empire"

I doubt it. Spain has better per capita income than Italy, and almost the same as France, mon ami.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
<< I doubt it. Spain has better per capita income than Italy, and almost the same as France, mon ami. >>

I doubt it Spain has lower per capita income than Italy. the one that is posted in Wikipedia is totally crap posted by hispanics. Just like what they posted in EU languages before until soemeone deleted it because he/she could not stand to read false information.

Italy's per capita is almost $29,000 while that of Spain's is just $24,000 according to Time Magazine, Alamanac 2008, Economist etc. nut not on what is posted in Wikipedia.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
<< No, mon ami. China (3rd) and Spain (8th) should be in the G8, instead of Canada (9th) and Russia (11th), taking into account economic power. >>

I don't think so China's per capita is just below $6,000. Russia's GNP is twice as that of Spain so why would Spain be included.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm GMT
Suspicious minds...

Ok. Spain and China will be soon in G12 (old G8), with India and Brazil, according to Financial Times and The economist.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20080710/53499179569.html

Spain has better per capita income than Italy. You can see:

http://www.diariodenavarra.es/20071222/economia/espana-supera-italia-renta-per-capita.html?not=2007122203005954&dia=20071222&seccion=economia&seccion2=nacional&chnl=30
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
"http://www.diariodenavarra.es/20071222/economia/espana-supera-italia-renta-per-capita.html?not=2007122203005954&dia=20071222&seccion=economia&seccion2=nacional&chnl=30"

Zapatero said
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 pm GMT
How many times do I have tell you that if you're gonna post a link about hispanic glorification, it should be created by a non-hispanic because hispanics are known for exaggerations?
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:14 pm GMT
"Spain has better per capita income than Italy."

Looking at this does not seem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita
Natacha   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:24 pm GMT
"Spain has better per capita income than Italy."

It is not possible. Here in Russia, Italian brands are famous (Ferrari, Ducati, Piaggio, Dolce&Gabbana, Armani, Valentino, Versace, Gucci, Ariston, Candy), Spain brands are synonymous of low quality.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
I confirm you the data, official from Eurostar, 2007:

Per capita income, European Union:

France 111% of the average

Spain 107% of the average

Italy 101% of the average

Only 4 points of difference with France, and 6 more than Italy! Wow!

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20080623/renta-per-capita-los-espanoles-sube-seis-puntos-respecto-media-europea-ultimo-ano/99711.shtml
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
Wow! It is true! You can read it in English if you prefer, but it is true. Spain is richer than Italy and almost the same as France.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page?_pageid=1996,39140985&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&product=_STRIND&root=theme0/strind/ecobac/eb011&zone=detail
Natacha   Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:41 pm GMT
There is something of strange. I know Spain only for tourism. I never bought something of Spanish. I bought a lot of German, Italian and French. Wikipedia reports different dates.