Top 100 Languages by Population

Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
<< I don't think this is the case, it is only an elective. >>

It is. What do you want Spanish is required when it's not. When are you gonna wake up from your deep siesta?
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
The French-Speaking Community in Australia

Just as French is the language of many countries, so the SBS French Program must cater to people from many lands and cultures.

French is the mother tongue of an estimated 200-million people, including first and second language speakers.

The program targets Australia's Francophone and Francophile communities.It must remembered that French is the first language taught as a second language in Australia and the audience of French learners covers all age groups.

Apart from France and European countries, such as Switzerland and Belgium, the community is drawn mainly from Mauritius, Canada, Morocco, Cambodia, Vietnam, Lebanon and throughout Africa. Many French-speakers are also likely to listen to our Arabic, Khmer or Vietnamese or African Language Programs.

Arrival

No discussion of the French in Australia fails to mention explorer, La Perouse, who arrived at Botany Bay just two days after Britain's First Fleet established itself in New South Wales. Australians often ask themselves how different life would have been if the French explorer had landed first.

The legacy of the early French contact is language. Hundreds of locations, in almost all states, bear French names. The French came first as explorers, some convicts from New Caledonia escaped and arrived in Australia. The Gold rush brought another wave of French migrants looking for gold and others sought refuge after the Paris Commune .

Settlement

Once here, the French were quickly absorbed into the professional life of the colony. They became teachers, bankers, wine-growers, policemen and wool buyers.

Contact between Australia and France intensified during the two World Wars and paved the way for increased migration from France after 1945.

Migrants from Mauritius, who've come since the 1960s, make up a big proportion of the Australia's Francophone population. An estimated 14,000 French-speaking Mauritians live in Melbourne with a similar number in Sydney.

The cultural exchanges between Australia and France are already numerous and well established in all spheres of business , arts and tourism.

One of the success stories of Australian-French relations is Le Courrier Australien, a French-language newspaper. Le Courrier Australien is believed to be the oldest surviving French-language newspaper in the world published outside of France, and the only French-language newspaper published continuously over the last hundred years.

Schools
Apart from the numerous schools in Australia where French is offered as a normal part of the curriculum, there are a number of schools where French is taught as a first language, from the earliest (kindergarten) stage to the end of the Higher School Certificate.

Ecole Bilingue de Melbourne -Camberwell
Phone 03 98 22 32 47

Petite Ecole Francaise de Melbourne
Caulfield Junior College
Phone 03 95 09 68 72 & 03-95 096131

Lycee Condorcet
The French School of Sydney
88 Cooper Street
Maroubra NSW 2035
Phone 02 9344 8692

Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
New South Wales Crescent Barton ACT 2600
Phone 02 6205 5599.

There are also over 50 Francophone community, social and vocational clubs spread out over the length and breadth of the country. Here are some of these organisations.

Belgian Society, NSW
Phone 02 93 69 33 59

Canadian-Australian Club - NSW
Phone 02 9562 3978

Francofolies French Resource Centre
102 Endeavour Street
Seven Hills NSW 2147
Phone/Fax 02 9831 7825

The Australian-Mauritian Association
209 Kendall Drive
Casula NSW 2170
Phone 02 9601 0076

Swiss Club of NSW
Phone 02 9416 6190

Le Theatre des Amis
1/28 Sutherland Street
Paddington NSW 2021
Phone 02 9360 3662

Le Conseil Superieur des Francais de l'Etranger" (CSFE)
41 Dumaresq Street,
Gordon NSW 2072
Phone /Fax 02 9498 4374

The Mauritian Club
PO Box 46
Galston NSW 2159
Phone 02 9831 3615

The Atelier Popenhagen
17 Mayman Row
Menai NSW 2234
Phone 02 9543 3118

Community and Social Clubs, Victoria
The National Council of Mauritian Clubs in Australia
Phone 03 97 95 01 59

Association Franco-Australienne du Victoria
1/28 Kensington Rd.,
South Yarra VIC 3141

Association Francophone
Phone 03 9531 2474

Belgian Circle of Victoria
Phone 03 9808 4741

Canadian-Australian, VIC
Phone 03 9464 0102

Swiss Club of Victoria
Phone 03 9650 1196

Stella Clavisque
34 Simpson Drive
Dandenong North VIC 3175

Tropic Social Club
5 Elmore Court
Scoresby VIC 3179

Mauritian Service Association
159A East Boundary Road
Bentleigh East VIC 3105

Sporting Clubs - Petanque

Sydney Petanque Club,
PO Box 38 Canterbury NSW 2183
Phone 02 9686 6223

France Petanque
345 West Botany St.,
Rockdale NSW 2216
Phone 02 9825 3244

Newcastle Petanque Club
PO Box 124
Lambton NSW 2299
Phone 02 4957 2660

Wollongong Petanque Club
Northcliff Drive
Berkeley Vale NSW 2261

Club de Petanque (Victoria)
03 9531 2474

WAPA (WA Petanque Assoc),
245 Heytesbury Rd Subiaco WA 6008

Prospect Petanque,
13 Hutton Street,
Vale Park SA 5081
Phone 08 8261 7997

Club de Petanque d'Adelaide,
Box 743, Unley Business Centre
86 Mary Street
Unley SA 5061
Phone 08 8266 4158

http://www.radio.sbs.com.au/language.php?page=info&language=French
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
Don't you ever post a similar message on Spanish language in which the information are unreliable coming from a crappy website made by hispanics.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:34 pm GMT
Teaching French at tertiary level in Western Australia

http://www.multicultural.online.wa.gov.au/wppuser/owamc/onlinenews_3_04/page11.html
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
<< Schools
Apart from the numerous schools in Australia where French is offered as a normal part of the curriculum, there are a number of schools where French is taught as a first language, from the earliest (kindergarten) stage to the end of the Higher School Certificate.>>

This is incorrect. French is actually taught at Pre-school, which is earlier than Kindergarten.

<< Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
Phone 02 6205 5599. >>

This is incorrect. This school is not in New South Wales.

<< Ecole Bilingue de Melbourne -Camberwell
Phone 03 98 22 32 47

Petite Ecole Francaise de Melbourne
Caulfield Junior College
Phone 03 95 09 68 72 & 03-95 096131>>

This information is inconsistent with other information
provided in that it does not contain state/territory details.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:10 pm GMT
>> << Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
Phone 02 6205 5599. >>

This is incorrect. This school is not in New South Wales. <<

Hahaha! poor you! the NSW in 'New South Wales Crescent Barton ACT 2600' is not he state but maybe a district in Canberra, ACT.

And it's understood that if it's in Melbourne, it's in Victoria.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 pm GMT
<<French is compulsory in secondary schools while Spanish is not>>

YOU'RE A LIAR!!!

French is not compulsory and will never be. In recent years students french continues to decline, Japanese will outpace French in less than 5 years since Australia requires a knowledge of Japanese but not French

<<What about you? What credibility do you have? Posting misinformation here about the Spanish language and against other languages?>>

The only one that write misinformation here are you, like this <<French is compulsory in secondary schools while Spanish is not>>

THIS IS FALSE!!!!!! french IS NOT compulsory and WILL NEVER BE

<<Why don't you ask the Arabs of the Middle East if French is not a prefereed language there. I'm sure your just envious because despite the fact that there's love hate relationships between the Francophone and Anglophone/Arabs, French is still prestigious them even to this century and coming centuries. Wake up from your deep siesta because that century for Spanish langauge did not arrive and it will never.>>

Maybe French is prestigious in the freemasonry elite from paris but in the rest of the world people are tired of French linguistic chauvinism

Au revoir
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:13 pm GMT
"Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
Phone 02 6205 5599. "

Putting it very very mildly, many people in Australia would be angry upon seeing this. I can assure you, upon looking at this, some people's blood would boil and then evaporate. I would prefer to be described in terms of one hundred "F***", "S***", and "C***" words than see something like this. I think this would include many French speakers who are aware of what has been done here.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:22 pm GMT
<< YOU'RE A LIAR!!!

French is not compulsory and will never be. In recent years students french continues to decline, Japanese will outpace French in less than 5 years since Australia requires a knowledge of Japanese but not French >>

Who's liar? isn't' you especially if you insist that Spanish is compulsory and number 1 foreign language in Oz.

<< THIS IS FALSE!!!!!! french IS NOT compulsory and WILL NEVER BE >>

It is that's the truth based on the website. You can now pull your hair and hit your head on a hard object because Spanish comes behind French, Japanese, and Italian.

<< Maybe French is prestigious in the freemasonry elite from paris but in the rest of the world people are tired of French linguistic chauvinism. >>

Maybe Spanish is convincing this movement to make it number 1 but sorry they did not listen. Even the sects within the Roman Catholic Church established by the hispanics would not give in to your demands. The rest of the world are so delighted with the French language that's why there are more francophiles than anglophiles.

BTW, the official languages of Vatican are Italian, Latin, and French and Spanish is not. If you have any doubts, you can check the Wikipedia. I want to tell you that that article is not written by a francophone but by a hispanic.

Adios!
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
<< "Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
Phone 02 6205 5599. "

Putting it very very mildly, many people in Australia would be angry upon seeing this. I can assure you, upon looking at this, some people's blood would boil and then evaporate. I would prefer to be described in terms of one hundred "F***", "S***", and "C***" words than see something like this. I think this would include many French speakers who are aware of what has been done here. >>

Why would the blood of an Aussie would boil when he reads this. The site was created by a genuine and certified Aussie not by a francophone.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
<< Japanese will outpace French in less than 5 years since Australia requires a knowledge of Japanese but not French >>

I told that there's a love and hate relationship between the French and Aussies but still the latter chose French as their first foreign language to learn that's why it's compulsary there.

You can say that Japanese will outpace French in Oz in five years just because your envious but in reality your racist when it comes to the Japanese just like those who ousted Alberto Fujimori in Peru. I can now understand why the Brazilian bossa nova singer Lisa Ono recorded CD's in Italian, French, and English but not in Spanish despite the fact the Spanish speaking world is right next door and there's a huge market to sell one's CD like a hotcake.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
<< Hahaha! poor you! the NSW in 'New South Wales Crescent Barton ACT 2600' is not he state but maybe a district in Canberra, ACT. >>

Actually you are sort of right. NSW Cresent is a street and Barton is a Suberb. Thanks for pointing it out. Barton was named after Australia's first Prime Minister "Edmund Barton".

<< "Telopea Park School
Lycee Franco-Australien
Phone 02 6205 5599. "

Putting it very very mildly, many people in Australia would be angry upon seeing this. I can assure you, upon looking at this, some people's blood would boil and then evaporate. I would prefer to be described in terms of one hundred "F***", "S***", and "C***" words than see something like this. I think this would include many French speakers who are aware of what has been done here. >>

Actually the address is right. Again thanks to the poster who said << Hahaha! poor you! the NSW in ...>> for helping to mitigate the damage. Some people are going to have a field day with this one. I have already given myself 1000 mental lashes.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
<< No discussion of the French in Australia fails to mention explorer, La Perouse, who arrived at Botany Bay just two days after Britain's First Fleet established itself in New South Wales.>>

Because of this there is a suburb in Sydney New South Wales named after La Perouse.
I also know that there is a street in the ACT named New South Wales Crescent.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:05 pm GMT
<< Hahaha! poor you! the NSW in 'New South Wales Crescent Barton ACT 2600' is not he state but maybe a district in Canberra, ACT. >>

Thanks for your help. But, also poor you!, you could have had a bigger prize, if you hadn't jumped the gun.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm GMT
"BTW, the official languages of Vatican are Italian, Latin, and French and Spanish is not. If you have any doubts, you can check the Wikipedia. I want to tell you that that article is not written by a francophone but by a hispanic."

I don't know why some Spanish people want to grab Italian heritage. Seems like the poor child jealous of the success of the cousin.