"faggot"

Nick   Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
When will using this word be as unacceptable as using the word "nigger"? People use the term to insult people who are not even gay, simply using it to mean "stupid". Likewise the word "gay" itself is used to mean "stupid".
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:40 pm GMT
Probably never
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
Why on earth should the word "faggot/s" ever be considered "unacceptable"? Have you never tried them? Have you never, ever relished their savoury delights?

You don't know what you've missed, you poor deprived individual. What God forsaken hellhole do you purport to live in?

Are you really as gay as you appear to be? ;-)

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516736
Texan Bill   Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
"using this word be as unacceptable as using the word "nigger"? "

Since when? I use it all the time.
Texan Bill   Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:38 pm GMT
And shoot all them goddamn faggots I say.
Skippy   Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
It's not nearly as offensive as "nigger" (at least not yet anyway). Guy friends call each other "fags" all the time, often in the presence of gay friends. But I would be careful about who I say it around, as people do get easily offended by it.
Bill in Los Angeles   Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:08 pm GMT
I think the word "faggot" is for some reason worse than just "fag". The word is never used by straight people in a non-pejpritive context. Since it's meant to be derogatory I avoid it. I have no desire to use the word. On the other hand since I'm neither black or gay I can't *accurately* speak to the degree of offense that's taken with either word. Probably "nigger" would be worse since there's a significant amount of historical pain and suffering associated with being on the receiving end of this word.
Trawicks   Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
"Faggot" can pose a problem because I think its meaning has largely morphed within the last twenty years into a generic slur directed toward males (somewhat like the use of "cunt" and "twat" in the British Isles).

Of course it IS still used as a violent epithet directed towards homosexuals. But like I said, it has a somewhat problematic second meaning which is questionable in its level of offensiveness.
Antonio from RJ   Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
wow,,, this surely deserved to be turned into a Cropolaliac discussion! :D

I only use faggot as to convey a gay person, or to bug a mate (no puns here, oi!);g
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm GMT
When calling a gay person "faggot" in the US it is almost *always* meant in a derogatory way.
Jasper   Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
""using this word be as unacceptable as using the word "nigger"? "
Since when? I use it all the time."

"And shoot all them goddamn faggots I say."

While admittedly this post is probably tongue-in-cheek, a lot of people might not see it that way. The problem I am having with it is not its content per se, but the fact that it reinforces the worst stereotypes Europeans hold about Americans. (How long will it be before we see posts about lynching "negros"?)

In this day of all-time-low opinions about Americans overseas, I don't think we need to reinforce the idea that we're all a bunch of narrow-minded red-necks!
Antonio from RJ   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:12 pm GMT
Nicely put, JAsper
Should I complete with "kill those sodding red-neck faggots!" ? :D

Suppose different people find differnet word more or less offensive. But language changes, so does usage, right!?
Nick   Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
<<It's not nearly as offensive as "nigger" (at least not yet anyway). Guy friends call each other "fags" all the time, often in the presence of gay friends.>>

Black people also call each other "nigga" (which evolved from "nigger").
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm GMT
So what's the best argument for using the word "faggot"? Is it something you really look forward to saying? If you're dying to say the word, please do.. the first amendment in the US will protect your right to use the word. But for those learning English, they should bear in mind that it's kind of like calling a woman a cunt. It's not a polite word by any standard and a new English speaker would find themselves embarrassed if they used it in the wrong setting.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:11 pm GMT
***The problem I am having with it is not its content per se, but the fact that it reinforces the worst stereotypes Europeans hold about Americans***

As a European myself I would say that the above statement is spot on.....it does exactly that, I'm afraid. It really, really does. And hearing it being yelled out over there with such venom really does add to the reasons why so many Europeans ....which term covers us Brits as well, remember......appreciate the Atlantic Ocean so much.