What do you think of Michael Phelps' accent?

Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:06 am GMT
Meek Europeans bow to the Russian master! Bwahahaha!
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:48 am GMT
Seems Russia this time is bent on asserting its authority in its neighboring areas. Watch how NATO responds!
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:47 am GMT
Ha ha NATO's in a tight fix! Quite hilarious! You Europeans are far too pussy to go to war with Russia over Georgia, so just bow down and kiss the floor! Bwahahaha!
Loris   Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:19 am GMT
From your obviously yankee posts, it seems USA is already fighting a war with Russia, in order to liberate Georgia from the bears paws

(I mean Georgia n.º 2, as Georgia n.º 1 seems to be safe for the time beeing)
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 am GMT
Why does the USA support democratically elected Saakashvili but not democratically elected HAMAS?
valrossie   Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm GMT
The other press conferences – for divers, wrestlers, and archers – have been modest affairs, a sprinkling of jet-lagged journalists amid empty seats and pat answers. But Michael Phelps steps to the podium, and instantly the Olympics have begun.Questions come in every accent the world has yet devised, all asking questions that he has answered for more than four years. The word “Spitz” – that’s Mark Spitz, as in the world record holder for most gold medals won in a single Olympics (1972) – is rather common.
--------------------------
valrossie
[url=http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/michigan]Michigan Alcohol Addiction Treatment[/url]
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:24 am GMT
<<Why does the USA support democratically elected Saakashvili but not democratically elected HAMAS? >>
Goooood Question!
I guess it all boils down to interest. Democratically elected Saakashvili is pro-US while democratically elected HAMAS runs counter to US's ally in the region.
Uriel   Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:38 am GMT
Well, Loris (and are you the Slow or the Slender kind?), I doubt the US is going to fight any wars over mystifying territories like South Ossetia and Abkhasia (sp). I mean, honestly, I was unaware of their very existence or significance until earlier today. And it's not that we don't miss the Cold War -- we do. We had that one down pat. We knew our enemy, and we knew what we were supposed to do, and it was all very civilized and comforting. The Russians made a great enemy. Not like some of these others we have today! We kind of miss the old guy.....call us sentimental, but this kind of bluster and posturing and taking over of obscure places sort of warms our hearts.....
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Russia is obviously defending its interest. The West is put in a dilemma. To certain extent, Russia is just revening against the West for the West's recognition of Kosovo's independence earlier.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 am GMT
Here in the UK and perhaps Western Europe generally the Russian Bear will always be perceived (see, I spelled it correctly - or would you have preferred "spelt"?) as some kind of ogre....always presenting some kind of threat to universal peace and happy co-existence. That is one big pity, but there you go.

Like many other Eastern Europeans (and it is European Russians I'm talking about here) there are a fair number of Russian immigrants knocking about in the UK, and many of them seem to find it a wee bit difficult adapting to the order and regularity of a Western society, and they don't seem to be able to quite comprehend that we don't operate on the lines of corruption and underhand dealings and all that kind of thing.

Apparently they think it's perfectly acceptable to drive in sub-standard cars obtained through some illegal shady means of exchange, untaxed and uninsured, and it's a miracle that they bother to keep to the left hand side of the road once they are in these vehicles. Maybe it's the rule of the road over here that they think it's fine to ride their clapped out bicycles (no doubt illegaly nicked off a waste recycling site - no pun intended) on the pavements - that's sidewalks to those not familar with the word pavement - frightening little old ladies on their way down to the local church hall to a WI market and coffee morning.

Small sections of most UK supermarkets are reserved for Eastern European foodstuffs, especially to cater for these people, and in a moment of madness I bought this jar of what appeared to be sauerkraut of some kind (all the lettering on the jar was cyrillic) - it looked reasonably good but the taste was another thing altogether. I reckon their taste buds must be wired differently - a case of an acquired taste obviously. Maybe if I ate a little every day I would end up being addicted to the stuff.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 am GMT
Spot the spelling error.......only one as far as I can tell at first glance.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:28 am GMT
<<Here in the UK and perhaps Western Europe generally the Russian Bear will always be perceived (see, I spelled it correctly - or would you have preferred "spelt"?) as some kind of ogre....always presenting some kind of threat to universal peace and happy co-existence. That is one big pity, but there you go. >>

I guess Russia never considers itself as a nation on a bar with UK or Fance or Germany, but rather as a potential counterpart to US. Probably that is the reason why some in Western Europe feel always upset about Russian bear.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 am GMT
UK France and Germany are like an ant for Russia! When I see ant, I crush it! When Russia sees ant, it crushes also!
Loris   Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:15 am GMT
Well, Uriel, I understand very well your feelings. Back then in the good old cold war there was a distant, gigantic, cataclistic threat, but the world was steedy and seemed to be under control. Now the threat is dispersed, everything seems apt to change, Economics replaced Politics in controlling the world and no one is in charge of Economics. Scary

BTW I', a Extremely Slow type (but twice as cute)

Quoting Gest who posted «UK France and Germany are like an ant for Russia! When I see ant, I crush it! When Russia sees ant, it crushes also!»

Ant-crusher, you remind me a scene in Eisenstein's Ivan Grosniy. A Tartar diplomat tries to frighten Ivan by saying Tartar bolshoi - and shows his right hand -, Moskvá malenkiy - and shows his left index finger; and then snatches his index with all his right hand. Now, look at what happened next in the film: big Tartars defeated, little Moskovians growing up. Go terrorise some more ants and stop trying to act like a 1930's film evil character
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 pm GMT
// Back then in the good old cold war there was a distant, gigantic, cataclistic threat, but the world was steedy and seemed to be under control. Now the threat is dispersed, everything seems apt to change, Economics replaced Politics in controlling the world and no one is in charge of Economics. Scary //
The resources on earth are just limited!