Shall Sweden adopt "English" as official language?

Benna   Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 am GMT
In recent 20 years, Swedes speak English so fluently and it shows the tendency that English will replace Swedish as the official language of Sweden. So, I think Swedish will not be official language anymore because it is replaced by English.
Breiniak   Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:48 am GMT
They are fluent at Swedish, and use Swedish as their main language. Why would they switch to English as their main language?
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:53 am GMT
But their accent is still very foreign-sounding, too cold and Germanic.
And I hate their devoiced consonants which makes Lies and Lice pronounced the same, also they don't care about Flesh/Flash vowel differences...
Ralf   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:06 am GMT
I don't think so English is going to be Offial Language in Sweden. People can speak English so fluently but this is not a reason to Change the official language.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 am GMT
Arabic is more spoken in Sweden than English.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 am GMT
Several experts in languages say that there will be only some 20-25 languages in the year 2300.

If that is true, I doubt that Swedish will be one of them. They will probably speak English (or Arabic or Chinese, etc) but not Swedish
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:32 am GMT
Yeah, right.
Probably some experts said the same 300 years ago, and here we are. Languages in Europe tend not to vanish that easily.
Too bad none of us will be here to say "I told you so".
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 am GMT
I will be here to say that. I am working on using my fortune to get a biotech company to implant my memories and brain function into a chip which will be connected to a supercomputer. Thus, I refute thy claims.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:12 am GMT
How easy is English to learn for Swedish speakers?
Breiniak   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:12 pm GMT
Language only changes when political borders change, and thus the educational language. Sweden has Swedish as it's official language and Swedish are better at Swedish than they are at English. It's not because Swedish is heavily influenced by English that it will disappear as a language.

English neither has become Latin or French did it?
Breiniak   Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm GMT
Also, anglophones who live here speak Dutch for instance. The most important language in Flander is Dutch, the most important language of Sweden is Swedish.

People don't respect English speakers when they type stuff like "English please" on youtube vids in other languages.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
Using English won't result in the death of Swedish, far from it, even if 100% people in the country were fully bilingual.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
"It's not because Swedish is heavily influenced by English that it will disappear as a language."

Swedish is less influenced by English than most other European languages.
'Computer' is 'Computer' in Italian or German.
In Swedish 'computer' is 'dator'.

'Datorn' = 'the computer'

Swedish cannot disappear because it is backed by a rich culture and potent literature and has a perfect command of modern world and technologies — as much or even better than German or French.

Gaelic and Welsh will disappear, Philippines and Nigeria will be 100% natively English speaking (as well as 50% of India) long before a sizeable minority of Sweden switches to English.

If English wasn't able to eliminate Afrikaans from Zuid-Afrika, how is it going to displace Swedish from Sweden? This is nonsense.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:09 pm GMT
<<Swedish is less influenced by English than most other European languages. >>
In technology and other areas do you translate most of anglicisms to Swedish?
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
In Swedish?