American English in the UK?

Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 pm GMT
-If you want the US to become more like Europe or the UK, I'd think high taxes would be more in order. -

California is the most European US state, the richest, the most tolerant, and with highest taxes, and with the best medical care, which soon will be universal. Hawaii will have universal health care too, soon.
Jasper   Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
[It's quite funny (the amusing kind) the stereotypcal image some people abroad apparently still hold about the British people generally - especially the English......"polished manners" ]

Damian, I don't know why we think that; it is indeed both a generalization and a stereotype. I posit the notion that our perception is based on our media, which parades the idea through showings of Agatha Christie tales and movies like Howard's End. Be it as that may, the idea of "well-mannered Brits" seems to persist.

Some of this is beginning to change. We have access to BBCAmerica, which is showing more varied programs. For my own part, I watch How Clean Is Your House which shows Brits in more ordinary circumstances. Even here, however, the featured players seem invariably polite--but then, they would be, wouldn't they?

Having a positive stereotype is probably better than the stereotype many Europeans have of US, though..
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:04 pm GMT
If you vote for Ms Palin, America will be seen even more unfriendly than it is today.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
#%$& bulldog with lipstick!
Guest   Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:04 am GMT
Whats good in bulldog? Bulldogs are eat young children only - need muzzle.
Uriel   Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:40 am GMT
<<Both "chav" and "ned" are acronyms - "council house adolescent vermin" and "non employable delinquents">>

I thought it was "council house and vulgar". Either way, a funny term! And good to know that other peopke have their white trash, too.....;P

<<If you vote for Ms Palin, America will be seen even more unfriendly than it is today. >>

That's silly. They would be voting for McCain, actually -- the VP's really just along for the ride.

And trust me, you won't like Obama and Biden, either, if you get them. People love to hate the US -- the stated reasons might vary from decade to decade, but they always come up with something. And neither candidate has some magic wand that will make the last few years go away -- they are going to inherit all the same headaches we have today.

I didn't find Brits any more polite or mannerly than anyone else. Even their pleases and thank yous were more perfunctory than I'm used to. I didn't see all this crazed drunkenness everyone loves to go on and on about, either, but then, I was in England itself -- apparently they like to save party time for when they're abroad.

And it's "pit bull", not "bulldog" -- two very different breeds of dog. Although what's considered a "pit bull" seems to vary from country to country -- I think of American Pit Bull Terriers (really the only kind of terrier I like -- I'm not a foofie-dog person), but Australians apparently give that name and reputation to what I would call a "bull terrier" -- which in the US is a harmless mascot for Target (and ex-mascot for Bud Light -- damn those frogs!) Check out Babe: Pig in the City and you'll see what I mean -- the set piece villain is a dead ringer for Spuds MacKenzie.
Hilda   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am GMT
<<And trust me, you won't like Obama and Biden, either, if you get them. People love to hate the US -- the stated reasons might vary from decade to decade, but they always come up with something.>>

There may be a element of truth in this. However, if you compare the image of the US in Europe now with how it was generally perceived under the past, there has been a massive shift.

The US will probably always be viewed with some wariness because of its size and huge economic, political and cultural power. It has put its imprint across the world (that's not an explicitly anti-American criticism - Britain did the same during the 19th and early 20th century, as would all countries if they were in a position to do so) and so smaller countries often feel threatened by the cultural expansion of the US, or resentful of its huge political an economic power.

However, things really have changed as a result of the George W. Bush presidency. I'm not sure that Americans are aware of how much damage has been done to their country's international reputation as a result of his foreign policy and refusal to co-operate on climate change. I think it would be fair to say that Bush is generally thought of as being an ignorant, war-mongering, irresponsible bully - and by extension that image is also transferred to the US as a whole, and sometimes individual Americans (somewhat unfairly, as not everyone voted for him).

I can't think of a time when the US was so unpopular. It was certainly never like this under the Clinton administration (I don't have any political allegiance to US parties - our political culture is completely different - so this isn't an anti-Republican rant). If Obama is elected I actually do think it could be seen as a new start, whereas if McCain is elected it will be seen as 4 more years if the same.

By the way, Uriel, don't get too defensive about 'anti-Americanism'. A lot of it's tongue-in-cheek, and the French, Germans, Italians, Irish and a whole host of others get their fair share too - as well as people from our own regions. Despite the current political climate we listen to American music, watch American films, have American friends.

I also wonder whether we have a more critical culture in some respects. It's not seen as 'anti-British' or unpatriotic over here to criticise the government, the health service, national culture, laws, wars or whatever. In fact, it's expected. I don't feel if I criticise George W. Bush's foreign policy that I'm being anti-American - I'm being anti-George W. Bush.
Hilda   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 am GMT
<<how it was generally perceived under the past>>

I meant 'in the past', sorry..
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 am GMT
California is in no way the most European state. California is probably the most American state of all the US states. The Northeast is the most "European" of the regions, mostly because many of the people there are either fresh from Europe or have retained close ties to Europe. It's also the closest geographically to Europe.

How many places in California can you go where Italian is still spoken as a first language? In NJ there are entire communities full of people who can only speak Italian and nothing else. Same with Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Greek, etc. etc.

California, you guys are the Beach Boys, Mickey Mouse, and Marilyn Monroe. Just accept it and move on.
Guest 5000   Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:14 am GMT
Also the top 3 wealthiest states are all in the Northeast - Connecticut, New Jersey, and Maryland.

If you've ever been to California, their "tolerance" is a complete sham. People there appear nice on the outside, but they're the most unreliable flakes on earth. At least on the east coast people form deep, close friendships with a few people ... just like Europe! Nevermind, no, California is totally, like, European. Totally bra yeah man let's go surfing!
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:26 am GMT
The Northeast: I ride trains daily and hear many languages spoken on them. I walk to the local bakery for fresh bread in the morning.

California: I drive my humungous, gas guzzling SUV from my suburban sprawl hell hole everywhere, even if it's a half mile away and I just need a loaf of bread from CONGLOMOMARKET.

Yet all you hear from West Coasters is how environmentally and culturally superior they are to all the other lowly Americans. You're the fattest, most wasteful Americans of all.
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 am GMT
<<You're the fattest, most wasteful Americans of all.>>

An insult indeed.
Guest   Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:57 pm GMT
<<California: I drive my humungous, gas guzzling SUV from my suburban sprawl hell hole everywhere, even if it's a half mile away and I just need a loaf of bread from CONGLOMOMARKET.>>

I think you've based your perception of California on Los Angeles alone. This is nothing like San Francisco.
Jasper   Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
An Italian-American I knew who moved to upstate Massachusetts said that the people there are cold, unfriendly types who bitch and moan all day about everything. Besides, he said, they're after your money for everything. He could only take it for a couple of years before moving back.

Another man I knew who migrated from Boston used to regale us with tales of how unfriendly the Northeasterners were. "Rudeness is a way of life there", he used to say, and he's a native.

If living in Europe is like living in the Northeast, I think I'd rather stay here.
Jasper   Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
↑ I suppose I should qualify my statements. They are admittedly generalizations, but I have heard those sentiments from too many people for there not to be at least a nugget of truth in it. (I personally have never been to the Northeast.)

I believe that when the poster says California is the most like Europe, I think he's talking about their political views, not the attitude of the people nor any cultural similarities. Californians are the most leftist people in the US,in general--pro-environmentalist, pro-universal health coverage, pro-gay rights, and so on. (There are pockets of knee-jerk conservatism even in California.)