French or Spanish: which one do you recommend me?

Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 pm GMT
I would like to study both but sadly I have not time enough, so I need to concentrate on one of them , which one is better for my career? I'm a journalist.
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:05 pm GMT
haven't you had enough of this yet?
BTW , who are you going to interview, Sarkozy or Shoemaker?
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 pm GMT
not again!
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:43 pm GMT
Does Zapatero speak French? I think he does.French is useful to interview these presidents.
PARISIEN   Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:23 pm GMT
Never go against your taste.
Choose the language with the sounds you love the best.

If you find both equally attractive and useful, better start with French. Many words look like English, that will ease the pain of dealing with the tricky pronunciation.
The rest of French vocabulary will offer a great introduction to Spanish. You will always find some time to learn it. Given its much simpler spelling it will be a cakewalk. You'll end up with two languages in your arsenal instead of one.

Just my 2 €-cent.
JT   Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
<<I would like to study both but sadly I have not time enough, so I need to concentrate on one of them , which one is better for my career? I'm a journalist.>>

If you're a journalist, then do some research and make that decision on your own. Nobody going to keep holding your hand throughout your life.
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm GMT
Whatever you choose you're going to hit the target, so don't worry.
Guest   Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:55 pm GMT
If you are from USA, Spanish. If you are from Canada, French.

If you are from Europe, it depends on several things. Which countries you prefer to travel?

Acapulco, Majorca, Miami, Barcelona, Benidorm, Mexico, Caribbean, Canary islands or you prefer Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Congo, Togo or Benin?

(It is a joke)

The answer is easy: the music you prefer to hear, the countries you prefer to travel, or the countries you prefer to work, for instance.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:29 am GMT
Spanish is the best choice for you...I'm a Frenchman.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:46 am GMT
French is the best choice for you...I'm a Spaniard.
guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:16 am GMT
french. go to learn french.
Guest   Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am GMT
Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese, but Never learn French.
greg   Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 pm GMT
Guest : « I would like to study both but sadly I have not time enough, so I need to concentrate on one of them , which one is better for my career? I'm a journalist. »

Si tu es convenablement organisé et suffisamment motivé, tu trouveras toujours le temps d'apprendre les deux langues simultanément. Et ce sera d'autant mieux pour la suite de ta carrière.
Skippy   Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:07 pm GMT
As an American I'd say Spanish, if you're going to spend more time in Europe, however, I'd say German :-)

In my experience French is more useful in Europe than Spanish, but if you're going to be in Eastern Europe you might as well just stick to English.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 am GMT
It depends also on what you find more appealing, french culture and people or the spanish ones? And also, if you tend to be fooled by spellings and by the pronunciation (then French is quite difficult because you should get a bit of practice before getting what you should write and not pronounce and vice-versa and also the different written accents) or not (in Spanish you pronounce only what you write down).
I don't think one language is prevalent on the other, Spanish might have a lot of speakers in the Americas but French is still chosen by all the institutions and don't forget French has a wide range of speakers in the rest of the world and in Europe too.