queue, line, row

Candy   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:50 am GMT
<<Candy and Lazar, both you seem to know little about history or historical linguistics , even English history, and I think that Lazar has got a lot more problems than that. However it's your life Lazar and you are the one who's going to have to live it. >>

This is really not like me, but I'm so incensed by the above comment that I simply have to say: F*CK OFF!!!!! (With all due apologies to the intelligent and well-informed people posting here) You know *nothing* about me, and besides, what am I meant to have posted which demonstrates my ignorance of my country's history? All I said was 'queue is a widely-used word in BE. THIS IS A FACT. FULL STOP!!! I don't care when or why the word entered the language, but it is used every day, by everybody, regardless of dialect, educational level, or anything else. Anyone who's spent any time in the UK knows it.
lida   Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:55 am GMT
I see that some people call themselves good linguists so why you haven't answered my questions yet about the third word that has the female root and is related to church?

Many female words are made from the male root like
prince - princess
actor - actress
but
The three words have female root: widower and bride groom. Now I'm asking for the third word.

Some people were fair and appologized for they didn't know it and they don't call themselves experts, just they help us non-speakers to learn something.
But

<<Dude Who Knows Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 am GMT
I don't think most Americans would even know how to pronounce "queue". >>

seems to know everything about BBC English and thinks that non-brits people don't know much of BBC English, so I would like if he could answer the question.
Travis   Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:23 am GMT
Candy, Brennus is an idiot who thinks he knows far, far more than he actually does, so it is probably best just to ignore him, and consider anything that comes out of his mouth, especially if it pertains to language-related subjects, to be highly suspect at best.
Mutley   Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:01 pm GMT
<<seems to know everything about BBC English and thinks that non-brits people don't know much of BBC English, so I would like if he could answer the question. >>

BBC? Americans learn most of their British English from such celebs as Ozzy Osbourne and his family, "The Osbournes" show and the like.
Kell   Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:17 pm GMT
Cue/queue is a common word in p2p programs :)
Candy   Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:39 pm GMT
<<Candy, Brennus is an idiot who thinks he knows far, far more than he actually does, so it is probably best just to ignore him, and consider anything that comes out of his mouth, especially if it pertains to language-related subjects, to be highly suspect at best. >>

Good advice, Travis! :-)
Kirk   Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:49 pm GMT
<<Good advice, Travis! :-)>>

Yes, the rest of us kind of have an "ignore-at-will" policy towards said poster. I wouldn't get too worked up over it---his nonsense will continue spewing forth whether or not you factually and objectively refute what he says so it's best not to get too angry about it. However, when I'm up for it I'll still respond to the most outlandish of his claims but otherwise it's not worth the fight :)
lida   Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:41 pm GMT
<<BBC? Americans learn most of their British English from such celebs as Ozzy Osbourne and his family, "The Osbournes" show and the like. >>

I don't know where the Americans learn their B.E. but I used word BBC English but I thought of RP (received pronunciation) which can be heard on BBC television. Right? But I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in the answer of my question. Is there anybody who can answer it?
Uriel   Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:58 pm GMT
Did you actually say "tosh", Kirk? ;)
Kirk   Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:30 pm GMT
<<Did you actually say "tosh", Kirk? ;)>>

Haha I felt it'd be fun to just throw it in there :)

<<I don't know where the Americans learn their B.E. but I used word BBC English but I thought of RP (received pronunciation) which can be heard on BBC television.>>

I get the TV channel BBC America and a wide range of shows are broadcast on it, so it's not just RP-speakers. There's a lot of different accents I've heard on different shows on the channel.
Dude Who Knows   Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:15 pm GMT
<<seems to know everything about BBC English and thinks that non-brits people don't know much of BBC English, so I would like if he could answer the question>>

No offense, but what the heck are you talking about? I'm an American, and as such, I rarely, if ever, watch the BBC. I know that I made a blanket statement, and those always have numerous exceptions, but I stand by my beliefs. I don't think that most Americans, upon seeing the word "queue" written down, would know how to pronounce it. The only reason I said this was to demonstrate how unfamaliar I felt that most Americans are with the word. It simply isn't a part of most of their vocabulary, and I say that from experience as an American. Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've lived in California all my life and have never heard the word "queue" spoken aloud by a person in real life. The only reason that I am familiar with the word at all is because I like to peruse websites such as this one, and (as something of a film buff) have been more exposed to British film and television than the average American.

As for the question about a third word with a female root, what is the point of it? Somehow if I know some minor trivia regarding the English language, that will make my sentiments more valid? I never claimed to be linguist, but I do have a vast amount of experience speaking American English. I don't need some silly litmus test to tell me what I know.
Mandy   Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:32 pm GMT
''but I've lived in California all my life and have never heard the word "queue" spoken aloud by a person in real life''

you should surf less, and read more.

Try Hemingway or Twain.
Mandy   Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:34 pm GMT
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/queue

Main Entry: 1queue
Pronunciation: 'kyü
Function: noun
Etymology: French, literally, tail, from Latin cauda, coda
1 : a braid of hair usually worn hanging at the back of the head
2 : a waiting line especially of persons or vehicles
3 a : a sequence of messages or jobs held in auxiliary storage awaiting transmission or processing b : a data structure that consists of a list of records such that records are added at one end and removed from the other
Damian   Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:23 pm GMT
Queue is used universally in the UK...be it people lining up in order for whatever...on the basis of "first come, first served". There is nothing "educated" about it whatsover...even an illiterate would use the word....s/he wouldn't have a clue how to spell it, but there you go....it's an awkward (and ugly looking word) to spell, and my guess is that many people would have to think before they write the word down...it's "one of those words".

A queue is used for traffic at a standstill as well:..eg: "There were long queues of stationary traffic waiting to cross the Forth Bridge in this morning's rush hour period".

I don't think any Brits would ever say "stand in line". Saying "queue" is easier and quicker...why use three words when one will do, even if it's a crap word to spell for some.
Dude Who Knows   Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:54 pm GMT
<<you should surf less, and read more.

Try Hemingway or Twain.>>

If you're going to attempt to insult me, you ought to try and be less of a hypocrite while doing it. First of all, *I* am familiar with "queue", I thought that much would have been obvious. Secondly (and more importantly), how does reading more literature result in one hearing a word spoken aloud more? Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension skills. I would hate to think that all that Hemingway and Twain went right over your heat.