Why do people complain about English being hard?

Guest   Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:25 pm GMT
For an IE language it has an incredibly simple verb system, no genders except in pronouns, one noun case, one definite/indefinte article, an extremely rigid SVO word order. Okay there is some irregular spellings and some irregular verbs (though most of thsoe follow a regular pattern as well), so why do some people complain about English being hard to learn?
Guest   Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm GMT
Some irregular spelling is too much diplomatic. In my country, all people study English, but almost nobody understand when you speak. We can pass the written exam, but it is very difficult the speaking and the listening.

We study the standard BBC pronunciation. Last day, when I was speaking to a Scottish person, I didn't understand anything. When I see a film in English I don't understand anything. If there are subtitles, I understand all, of course.
Guest   Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
English would be really easy with a gadget (let's say a mobile phone) that writes on a screen everything people say.
Guest   Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
Is the original poster geniunly interested in knowing people's reasons for finding English hard or is he only trying to make a point?
Guest   Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:34 am GMT
The former.
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
Any language is hard to learn especially if you have never studied a language before.
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
only french and spanish people complain... because they're lazy
Nikopol   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
For spanish and italian people (open-vowel languages) english is difficult
in listening

French do it better but they try to support also their national language
as lingua franca
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 pm GMT
Spanish and Italian are cristal clear, that's why they hate it when English-speakers don't open their mouths when they speak, it sounds like a bunch of awwowwouwuwuwuw.
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:34 pm GMT
Yes, of course. English is the only language where "A" sounds like "ei", and not "A".

The pronuntiation is crazy, and when Anglos speak it, it is worse. However, if an Italian speaks English, everybody understand him. They have clear pronuntiation.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:00 pm GMT
Oh, LOL!
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:11 pm GMT
I'm Spanish and had some speech problems when I was a child. My teachers told me that I had to drop the chewing gum when speaking and had to pronounce more clearly. Curiously on the other hand my English teacher always congratulated me because I pronounced English very well. LOL!
Güest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:14 pm GMT
Spaniards and Italians complain about English being hard because everything is dubbed in their countries.
In Spain there's even a phenomenon where you get mocked for trying to pronounce English correctly. =(

The Greek are quite good in English, and the Portuguese generally speak English well with a very good pronunciation.
In Greece & Portugal they usually use subtitles instead of dubbing.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:06 pm GMT
Yes. Italians, Spaniards and French have personality. We speak very bad English. That is because we think that we speak very important languages. If we go to other countries we speak our language. Only sometimes we need our "very basic English."

The same with Brits. They only speak English. Only a few speak good French, German, Italian or Spanish.

Portuguese & Greek speak minority languages in Europe. So, they need to speak English. The same with Swedish, Dutch, Danish, etc.

Only German people speak an important language in Europe, and they speak good English. That is strange! At the same time, that's a bad point for German language! If they speak English, why to study German?
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:10 pm GMT
"I'm Spanish and had some speech problems when I was a child. My teachers told me that I had to drop the chewing gum when speaking and had to pronounce more clearly. Curiously on the other hand my English teacher always congratulated me because I pronounced English very well. LOL!"

>>Sad, but that's how it is, in English if you speak clear then you won't sound native lol, the less you open your mouth the better.