Why do people complain about English being hard?

Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:51 am GMT
"Only German people speak an important language in Europe, and they speak good English."

Because, "es gibt keineN bessereN madcheN" is a mouthful when compared to "there is no better girl"
Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:15 pm GMT
>>Because, "es gibt keineN bessereN madcheN" is a mouthful when compared to "there is no better girl" <<

This should be:

'Es gibt kein besseres Mädchen'. 'Mädchen' is neuter, you made it masculine.
Gwest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
"there is no better girl"

is even more dull and mouthful

btr grl ???

Search in romance langs for better sounding
guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
<<Search in romance langs for better sounding >>

oh, as if "mayör feey"

or "may-whore cheeka"

sound better

PLEASE
Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 pm GMT
<<oh, as if "mayör feey"

or "may-whore cheeka"

sound better >>

I don't care what language sounds better. I just wanted to point out that actually "there's no better girl" wouldn't be translated as "il n'y a pas de meilleure fille", wich sounds totally awkward in French, but as "Il n'y a pas de fille plus belle" which does sound good.
Also, I think it's more interesting to find what sounds "good, period" rather than what sounds "better than". In every languages there are some words that sound good, and other not so good, it's pointless to try to find their value in competition.
Skippy   Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:41 pm GMT
Does the English genitive -'s not count as a noun case?
Buddy   Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
<<Does the English genitive -'s not count as a noun case? >>

It does indeed.
Even though some often find grounds to count it as a clitic in certain substandard uses (which it is), it also continues to act as a distinct genitive case ending. So does -s'
Adam   Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:01 pm GMT
"Only German people speak an important language in Europe, and they speak good English. That is strange! At the same time, that's a bad point for German language! If they speak English, why to study German? "

Are you trying to say that English, possibly the world's most important and dominant language, isn't important?
Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
England (and indeed the UK) is not a part of Europe, or at least they act like that.
Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
That's like saying that Japan is not part of Asia.
Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
Well, maybe if Japan had had an empire that spanned 2/3rds of the globe, and Japanese had become the world lingua franca, they might think they were their own continent too.
Adam   Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
>>Because, "es gibt keineN bessereN madcheN" is a mouthful when compared to "there is no better girl" <<

This should be:

'Es gibt kein besseres Mädchen'. 'Mädchen' is neuter, you made it masculine.

I'm glad I'm a native English speaker so that I don't have to worry about "masculine", "feminine" or "neuter" nouns or the adjectives that must agree with them whenever I speak.

The people of such languages don't know how blessed we English speakers are.
Adam   Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:02 am GMT
If you think about it, English is almost (but not quite) how a language should be.

It is just a form of communication. I musn't be the only native English speaker who looks at languages such as German or French or Italian or Spanish and thinks: "What is the point of grammatical gender? Why have 250 words for 'the'? Can't they speak like the British and just have ONE word for 'the' and one word for adjectives such as 'red' or 'big' or 'brown'?"

There's just no point to all these things. English has the right idea. As long as you can communicate with another person, that's fine. One word for 'the' suffices.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 am GMT
250 words? yeah right.... I must be missing the other 248 cuz I only know 2...

The reason why languages have grammatical gender is so you can specify in just one words instead of 2, for example:

Little Chilean Girl = Chilenita
Little Chilean Boy = Chilenito
Shuimo   Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
<<I musn't be the only native English speaker who looks at languages such as German or French or Italian or Spanish and thinks: "What is the point of grammatical gender? Why have 250 words for 'the'?>>

I share your puzzle over the Why-have-250-words-for-'the' issue. That is absurd when I think of it!