Which foreign language is the most easy to learn for native?

Adam   Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:32 pm GMT
If you're an English speaker, learnt Norwegian!
Morticia   Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
Italian is the easiest language to learn for Spanish speakers. Portuguese may be closer on paper to Spanish but phonetics could not be more different. Even English is easier to pronounce.
Xie   Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm GMT
>>I am most sure you can find the academic books you want, written in native Chinese and in simplified Chinese characters of coz, which I guess may pose some sort of reading difficulty to my Hong Kong compatriots who are used to traditional Chinese characters only.

This is actually not very true. It isn't really that convenient to buy books in a rush, and it isn't really good to buy things so quickly without choosing. I'm yet to wait for chances to choose more carefully... and, btw, university training in Hong Kong, at present, is now geared toward something more like force-feeding, and how well you can do often also depends on what is being offered, and normally the road to studying Master Degree X is often blocked if you didn't even study the courses formally. FORMALITY alone is killing creativity and preventing more able students to do the exact stuff they could be best at.

My scenario of X now is phonetics. So, I can't take it for personal reasons, and even though I might be able to master it through self-study... I might not at all be able to become an exceptional student. That's highly personal and ... I'm never very sure, but I can foresee that Hong Kong ... after all, isn't really a good place for research, even with English.

>>I guess Hong Kong universities are a good place to be, which in fact did attract even a handful of the best high school graduates from the mainland in recent years. I guess subjects like literature, history, philosophy, theoretical physics... would be frowned upon at Hong Kong universities, wouldn't they?

Laoxiong, I should ask you a rhetorical question: do people here in general what literature, history, philosophy, physics...at all? Except philosophy, which very few people do know, all are high school subjects, and usually science students learn physics just for the sake of itself - to enter a better university. They then take business and trash 4 years worth of knowledge in physics, period. All the four are often deemed a recipe for unemployment, and most of the post-grad applications, I was told, are now submitted by our northern folks.

There must be some feelings of being torn for those who couldn't choose and were/are being sent to study abroad. I, too, can feel the same. It's ironic that we use a prestigious language to study, and yet, since we Chinese like BUSINESS (as a subject and as a social activity) so much, we can trash practically everything just for the sake of money.

==

Ah, I should also say, again, that no language is at all easy for me. Every one of them is too remote from mine. Except a local (in the nation) one would be easier, but ... they aren't foreign.
biohazard   Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
Mandarin Chinese
Shuimo   Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:23 pm GMT
<<but I can foresee that Hong Kong ... after all, isn't really a good place for research, even with English.>>
Absolutely!
That is another reason why Hong Kong is regarded as cultural desert in the mainland.
It is a place inhabited by people obsessed with money only, plus kow-towing impulsion to its former Western master!
If there is any "culture" there, it is almost solely low-brow vulgar culture rife with tabloid scandals of second- or third-rate actors and singers.
How can we expect such a place to develop a thriving culture of inspiration, pride and honor?:(
Xie   Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 am GMT
I'm used to a local forum-post writing style of satirizing, so don't get ppl wrong (in many cases) if they write something that is like bashing the Chinese in general. I often see similar stuff in Tianya, to be frank. After all, we're the same nation.