Why isn't Esperanto so popular?

Guest   Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:25 am GMT
Since it being a great achievement for being used as medium to communicate from all around the world, why isn't it taught in USA's school? I personally think American schools shall use Esperanto to replace Latin which is no longer spoken.

Personally, I really don't understand why schools don't provide Esperanto courses in USA but Latin.
Breiniak   Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:23 pm GMT
Latin is learned for totally different reasons than communication (philology, lingiustic study, etc...). I don't see why you mention Latin for comparison with Esperanto.
Breiniak   Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
Besides, English is doing well as the international language. Go learn Chinese, Russian or Spanish or something if you want to communicate with the rest of the world.
Esperantist   Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
Internationalist   Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:18 pm GMT
because of fck#ing nationalism and nationalist conservative pedants

they struggle for their mother nazi-language till death

with the support of their state,army and church

p.s

Support internationalism

forget the past
Internationalist   Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
the bloody past
Breiniak   Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 pm GMT
You do realize Esperanto itself is eurocentric, you conservative NAZI COMMUNIST. ;)
Breiniak   Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
Anyway, people outside the autist spectrum aren't complaining about using English as their medium or learning Mandarin/Russian or whatever when they go to these corresponded places.

It would take more of an effort bringing Esperanto alive actually, because a lot of the films, music, literature, etc... we get is in English, which is a language that is developed in a natural way.

Also, no irregularities sure makes the language so dull only a machine feels comfortable using. It's like with communism: it works, but they use the wrong species (humans don't have that discipline).
Guest   Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:37 pm GMT
Because it sounds and looks ugly, if it looked ans sounded like Interlingua it would gain more popularity
Guest   Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
Solo las lenguas romances son hermosas, todas las demas fueron creadas por salvajes por eso suenan tan horrible.
Vlad   Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 am GMT
Why? Because it's a stupid, constructed, fake languge with not culture connected to it.
mac   Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 am GMT
<< Since it being a great achievement for being used as medium to communicate from all around the world, why isn't it taught in USA's school? >>

It's used as a medium to communicate around the world??? This is news to me. I thought English served that purpose and was doing quite well at it.

Why the hell would people in the USA study that when they have English? I hope that answers your question.
Xie   Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 am GMT
>>Anyway, people outside the autist spectrum aren't complaining about using English as their medium or learning Mandarin/Russian or whatever when they go to these corresponded places.

It's all about ideology. Esperanto is just one thing in the language department. Why "should" you learn languages you arent learning now? Are there any reasons for me to learn a particular language? It's pretty easy to get yes-no answers.

Easily asked, easily answered. Some people say geographical proximity is a point of learning a lingo. But is Tagalog of any use to me? Absolutely no. But English, which is a "wee bit" so remote from my country, is much more useful; and even a more remote and national language, such as Japanese, is still more "useful" in many facets of life.
Guest   Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:49 am GMT
For some more specific reasons, see here:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t11408.htm
Guest   Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
Irregularism sucks