Are some Scottish and Irish accents really inintelligeble?

Riadach   Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:18 am GMT
well to answer your question, i'm irish and i've never had a problem understanding myself :)
Jessyca   Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
"Are some Scottish and Irish accents really inintelligeble?"

I myself have only spoken to a few Scots (and even fewer Irishmen, sadly), and I could understand most of what they said. There were a few words that were a bit unclear, but certainly nothing "inintelligeble". Besides, the accent's AWESOME! =)
Adam   Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
"With pompous, self-righteous, supercilious comments like that, it's no wonder very few people like the English. "

Why don't you just accept that what I said is the truth?

As an English taxpayer contributing to Scotland's £13 billion annual subsidies I like to think I have a right to complain.
Steve   Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:40 am GMT
I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain, you probably do, but you don't mention the fact that Wales and Ireland are also subsidised. Nor do you mention that the British government had a hand in Scotland's current state. In the 1970s when independence was in the minds of many Scots, Scotland could have been a thriving country when it laid claim to North Sea oil, possibly making it richer than England. At the time, 90 percent of the UK's oil and gas reserves fell within Scottish waters. Had Scotland been given independence, this would have been dire for England. So the British government could not allow Scotland to break away, especially when they were sitting on a gold mine.

I'm not taking sides in this matter; I have family in both countries. But rather than complain to everyone and pan Scotland and the Scots, complain to the government who caused this situation in the first place.
scotsman   Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:38 am GMT
wales is lovely, ireland is brilliant, scotland my home is even better, but england..... well it is full of stupid people and we all hate england
a.p.a.m.   Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:04 pm GMT
Are some Scottish and Irish acccents really unintllibible? When the Irish and Scottish both get all whiskeyed up, who knows? Who cares? Pass the Scotch please.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 pm GMT
As a proud true native Scot born and bred and living and working in Scotland's beautiful capital city I have to take issue with my countryman's (Scotsman's) racist comment about England and the English. I admit to sounding off about our English cousins on more than one occasion, but it's always been in the form of banter. Some of my best friends (met when I was at uni down in England) are English and they are ace through and through. Maybe it's time we consign history to the history books once and for all, and when the Scottish Parliamentary elections come round in May I hope we think straight and don't opt to any ideas of secession. It just wouldnae work in the long term - we cannae do without English support. But at the same time we can rejoice in the various advantages we Scots have over the English, as do the Welsh in some respects.

A United Kingdom without Scotland would be like a car without an engine, and that car would be Scottish.

Thanks to those who say they like Scottish accents, whether you understand all we say or not.
Pub Lunch   Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
<<wales is lovely, ireland is brilliant, scotland my home is even better, but england..... well it is full of stupid people and we all hate england>>

Surely you jest??

I agree with Damien, the English v Scottish malarkey is just a bit of banter. During my frequent visits to my ‘unfortunate’ relatives who live in Carnoustie, I never fail to chuckle when I see all the ' I support two teams, Scotland and any one who plays England’ t shirts being sold. The all time classic was in '04 when the Euro championships were about to kick off. I was in Scotland the week before, and I remember a story which actually made front page of a Scottish daily rag, saying something like 'Shock!!! 51% of Scots want England to WIN. That cracked me up.

I think the banter thing is more with the Welsh, Irish and Scots than it is with the English. You lot really do seem to like watching us lose!!! I rarely hear anyone slag of the Celts, and in fact whenever Scotland plays footie, me and the lads are always behind them 99%.

The only time the banter got on my nerves was last summer, when Andrew Murray came out and said he really hoped England go out of the World cup (and seemed to mean it). That peed me off. I took my mum to 'Murray Hill' during Wimbledon and spent £££ cheering that little git on (with thousands of other ‘mostly English’ Murray fans). I will not be cheering him on this year, curly haired little twit. Can you imagine the uproar if an Englishman said that?? Oh and the other thing that bugs me is that Scottish students apparently do not pay tuition fees whereas I have to or will have to fork out £3,000 per annum. That is simply ridiculously unfair.

I love Scotland though, how can you dislike a country that gave the world its greatest alcoholic beverage, the greatest Bond, the world’s coolest accent (for blokes – not ladies), has possibly the most beautiful scenery in the world and gave the world, the shortbread (the planets best biscuit), the, erm, haggis, and the fried bounty bar. I don’t know about those flipping midges though.
Riadach   Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
The greatest alcoholic beverage? Whiskey? Sure they nicked it off us, and screwed it up by being too lazy and not triple distilling it.
Tracy   Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
The maritime border was moved heavily in Scotland's favour some two decades ago. A lot of Scotland's oil was actually England's oil and gifted to Scotland by a British government to pacify Scottish nationalists. A lot of North Sea oil and gas rightfully belongs to England and was donated without our consent or permission. We want it back and we also demand devolution for England. For too long the English have been discriminated against in favour of the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish. There is no UK or Britain. The union has already been broken - we want fairness and equality and the only way to achieve that is for England to separate from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Marjorie Dawes   Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
Say it again.
Riadach   Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:47 pm GMT
But if it was off the north coast of scotland, and closer to scotland than any point in England, how was it ever turly english oil?
Most boring topic ever.   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm GMT
Some of you people need a life, seriously. Keyboard warriors galore on this site.
Laura   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
Am from Scotland and can understand myself just fine! :)

However it is not just Scotland and Ireland that have accents, England and Wales do too. When you come from a different country it is hard getting the ‘ear’ to their accent but it is not hard. There is no need for one country to make fun of another’s accent.

I think it is great how there are so many accents in this country, even within counties, and one should not be made to feel stupid purely on the basis of their accent. Every thing should be encourage and to promote local accents and dialects.
Adam   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:11 pm GMT
"A United Kingdom without Scotland would be like a car without an engine, and that car would be Scottish. "

No - a United Kingdom without LONDON would be like a car without an engine.