Are some Scottish and Irish accents really inintelligeble?

Pete   Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:30 am GMT
OK everybody, calm down! Forget about James Bond crapp and about sexual issues I need to know about Irish and Scottish accents many people has spoken already, but no Irish here. if you are an Irish, feel free to post your thoughts, plz. It will be very helpfull for us.
Guest   Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:41 am GMT
<<<Gibberish???? You cannot be serious!!! You're criticising British people for not speaking 'as they're supposed to>

The fuck and I suspose you speaking as an American should be. I send my regards to the Americans who have to live with such a prick like him,
Uriel   Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:36 am GMT
???
Candy   Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:30 am GMT
<<Well, there are some people who think that they're always right. I sometimes include myself in that group, and my friend Guest007 is in it as well. Sometimes we can be a bit exagerated when hearing some kind of bullshit. Then we just explode!! >>

I can get pretty wound up myself, but are you really justifying the fact that the supermoron known as 007 called me a "stupid little slut"????

<<And forget about f**king yourself, if you can try to get some help instead. hehe >>
I don't need to 'try' to get some help.

<<"Pete" is not better than "Candy", but we use it because those are our sodding names! dead shit! >>

Well, it's not my real name, obviously.
kirk   Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:30 pm GMT
beam me up scotty
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:57 pm GMT
Ignoring the personal insults and the locker room Language in this defiled thread, I would just like to say that I have absolutely no difficulty with any Scottish accent, naturally enough....even the "late night, above the techno, alcoholically impaired" backstreet Glaswegian.....with a high concentration level I can get the whole drift.

Irish accents, North and South: hold no mystery for me whatsoever....kindred spirits all. Belfast and Dublin...the island of Ireland's two major cities... but with totally different accents.
Guy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:06 am GMT
>>that's like asking Peruvians to speak King Juan Carlos'<<

Well there is really no comparison in the Spanish-speaking world when it comes to how RP is viewed in the English speaking world . Peninsular Spanish (Juan Carlo's accent) isn't usually perceived as prestigious, posh or anything like that. In actual fact it is usually derided for sounding harsh and effeminate to american spanish-speakers ears (peruvians, argentines etc,). I think people tend to make the mistake of trying to understand other people's cultures through the same lenses they use to analyse their own and in the process fail miserably.
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:13 am GMT
RP English, is not considered prestigious by English-speaking people anymore either. They see it as a strange form of English which is annoyingly appealing to foreigners.
Guy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:34 am GMT
>>RP English, is not considered prestigious by English-speaking people anymore either. They see it as a strange form of English which is annoyingly appealing to foreigners.<<

Yeah but with the main difference with Peninsular Spanish is that is has never really ever being considered prestigious by a significant amount of people at any particular time in history. But the Spaniards would argue otherwise. Even to this day they would love for everyone to believe that theirs is indeed the standard, correct prestigious form of the language. Unfortunately for them not many people pay them much attention hehehehe
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:13 am GMT
Guy, you are right. Well, almost.

>>Unfortunately for them not many people pay them much attention hehehehe<<

Some South American girls (not all of them) go crazy when they hear Spaniards' speech. Some love Spanish accent.
Guy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
>>Some South American girls (not all of them) go crazy when they hear Spaniards' speech. Some love Spanish accent.<<

Really?! That's news to me. Must be whores looking for a sugar daddy to exploit and use to get them out of the squalor they live in. This happens quite a lot, specially in Brazil which its knowns for its sexual tourism and the gold digging sluts that prey on gullible, naive horny "first-world" foreigners who think they've found "the one".
Uriel   Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:41 am GMT
Gee, what a lovely sentiment.

It couldn't possibly be that, like most other people, they find people who are a little bit different and exotic to be interesting and attractive...
!@#$%^&*()_+   Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:09 pm GMT
Getting back to the original question posted: "Are some Scottish and Irish accents really inintelligeble?" (he/she meant UNintelligible) - YES, SOME of them ARE unintellible while others are perfectly intelligible - it all depends on the speaker and on his/her social background and level of education. Period. Now that should settle that question once and for all!

...and I want no more talk of James Bond or South American girls or any other crap that is unrelated to the original question! There are other forums for that.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:07 am GMT
<<By the way, if I was a slut, I wouldn't need to f*ck MYSELF, would I? >>

LOL. Exactamente, Candy.

How do you like my French?
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:12 am GMT
<<It couldn't possibly be that, like most other people, they find people who are a little bit different and exotic to be interesting and attractive... >>

But to say that wouldn't get as much attention.