Are some Scottish and Irish accents really inintelligeble?

Guy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:26 am GMT
>>It couldn't possibly be that, like most other people, they find people who are a little bit different and exotic to be interesting and attractive..<<

Sadly that only occurs once in every 1000 cases. Sorry if it upsets you that I choose to live in the real world rather than ludicrous fantasy world you apparently opt for where everything is nice and dandy an individuals don't have ulterior motives. Brazilian women are world renowned for this very despicable behaviour. Just ask a decent brasileira if you need futher cofirmation and she'll tell ya that self-respecting women in brasil avoid hanging around "gringos" because to be seen holding hands with one automatically labels the girls in question a prostitute. And for a good reason. In general these women that chase after "gringos" are looking for someone to help them escape their undesireable circumstances and willing to do almost anything to accomplish that including seducing losers from "first world countries" that are unable to attract a partner in their own nation.

>>But to say that wouldn't get as much attention.<<

I'm not an attention seeker I'm simply telling it like it is. Irrespective of how unsavoury it may sound to the average joe.

>>...and I want no more talk of James Bond or South American girls or any other crap that is unrelated to the original question! There are other forums for that.<<

Okay it was just an casual aside. No need to get your knickers all tied up in a know over it.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:06 am GMT
<<I'm not an attention seeker I'm simply telling it like it is. Irrespective of how unsavoury it may sound to the average joe.>>

But does a person have to be insulting and bullying to get the point across? And flinging insults at a person, which have nothing to do with their opinions, such as calling a person a slut because she doesn't agree with an opinion on accent. It's ridiculous, irrelevent and uncalled-for.

And slut is archaic. No one uses the term anymore - except as a joke.
passionate_freak   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:26 am GMT
So you make this clear to me: "Why can't the English modify their speech to better understood when they find a non-native speaker? ....

Well, people are free to use their language as they feel to when speaking to the natives but, when speaking to non-native, then are supposed to use the RP/GA or else if there's any standard english known to the rest of the out world. Language is a medium of communication, so to be able to establish a nice conversation and communication with others we native people should use the RP so that they can be understood. But, you native people may take it as an insult or else, forgive me for that but there're educated forms of languages in every part of the world in it's own languages. So, forgert to insult each other and try to speak the RP when speaking to the strangers,( he/she could be so called native too, it's funny that even the natives can't undrstand the accents from other part of the country,LOL), it happens everywhere.

And,how come schools are suppoesed to teach the all kinda Gibberis???
They have their own course of studies and programs too, so it's just impossible for them to teach all the accents!!!Most of all, they are determind to teach make them able to communcate in mostly acceptable accents in Educated phenomena.

If someone finds it offensive, I'm sorry for that.

Regards
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:44 pm GMT
<<But does a person have to be insulting and bullying to get the point across? And flinging insults at a person, which have nothing to do with their opinions, such as calling a person a slut because she doesn't agree with an opinion on accent. It's ridiculous, irrelevent and uncalled-for. >>

Thanks for the support, Terry. I think Antimoon has improved a lot since you started posting! And anyone who insults a woman sexually because she has another opinion is clearly a major moron.
(BTW, I believe it's spelt 'exactement' in French! :)
Pete   Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:15 pm GMT
>>Well, people are free to use their language as they feel to when speaking to the natives<<

That's absolutly true, they do and they will do so till the end of this world.

>>when speaking to non-native, then are supposed to use the RP/GA or else if there's any standard english known to the rest of the out world<<

I used to agree with that, but the thing is that modifying one's accent is like losing your identity a bit. One's accent is part of oneself, it cannot be replaced by any other particular accent.

I think that as an International language, clear comunication is a very desirable aim. However, they won't generally use those accents for many reasons, because they can't, because they don't like them, and because they don't want to.

As simple as that.
Terry   Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:25 pm GMT
<<(BTW, I believe it's spelt 'exactement' in French! :) >>

Well that figures. I am hopeless! :)

I agree on sexual insults and they're so passe. ( I think that's one French word I've got right, although without the little do-hickey over the "e.")
Guy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:33 pm GMT
>>But does a person have to be insulting and bullying to get the point across? And flinging insults at a person, which have nothing to do with their opinions, such as calling a person a slut because she doesn't agree with an opinion on accent. It's ridiculous, irrelevent and uncalled-for.<<

Okay where did I address a female antimoon poster as a slut? Show me the evidence. I know you will fail because there isn't any. All I said was that women in Latin America (particularly Brazil) that become all giddy with joy upon hearing a foreign accent aren't being entirely sincere and that more likely than not have ulterior motives for acting that way.

>>And slut is archaic. No one uses the term anymore - except as a joke.<<

Slut is not an archaic word at all. It still applies in this day and age. Basically any women that has absolutely no qualms in opening their legs for any foreign man (and I mean "any" who are usually on the ugly side), indiscriminately, that merely gives them half a glance classifies as a slut in my book. Would you go out with a women that loose and with so little respect for herself? I certainly wouldn't, I have my standards to uphold.
Pete   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 pm GMT
<<Slut is not an archaic word at all. It still applies in this day and age. Basically any women that has absolutely no qualms in opening their legs for any foreign man (and I mean "any" who are usually on the ugly side), indiscriminately, that merely gives them half a glance classifies as a slut in my book. Would you go out with a women that loose and with so little respect for herself? I certainly wouldn't, I have my standards to uphold.>>

What a nice coment...
Guy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:42 pm GMT
>>And anyone who insults a woman sexually because she has another opinion is clearly a major moron. <<

I resent being accused of something I haven't done. All I've done is share a personal observation, nothing more. If you had read carefully what I've posted you'd have realised I haven't insulted any female poster at antimoon in any shape or form.
Guy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm GMT
>>What a nice coment...<<

Why thank you.
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
I wasn't referring to you, but to the moron 007 who posted this:
<<Candy, I have only two things to say to you:

1) GO FUCK YOURSELF!!! (It's because of attitudes like yours that the English language is in such a sad state - nobody wants to speak intelligibly so that they will not - God forbid - be labelled as "posh").

2) Use a screen name that doesn't make you sound like you are a some stupid little slut (although you probably are).>>

But you posted this:
<<Slut is not an archaic word at all. It still applies in this day and age. Basically any women that has absolutely no qualms in opening their legs for any foreign man (and I mean "any" who are usually on the ugly side), indiscriminately, that merely gives them half a glance classifies as a slut in my book. Would you go out with a women that loose and with so little respect for herself? I certainly wouldn't, I have my standards to uphold.>>

which is just as nasty. What a horrible little misogynist you are! You need therapy, urgently. If you have nothing useful to add, why don't you just get lost? And by the way, 'slut' IS an archaic word for anyone with more than 3 brain cells.
Guy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
>>which is just as nasty. What a horrible little misogynist you are!<<

You don't know me to make those sort of comments. I don't hate women in the slightest. I have the upmost respect for women but only for those that respect themselves as well.

>>You need therapy, urgently<<

Perhaps you are do that needs to heed your own advice as it appears you're reading too much into my comments.

>>If you have nothing useful to add, why don't you just get lost?<<

Who the hell do you think you are to order me around? Get over yourself honey. I'm old enough to make my own decisions and do as I please. If you don't like what I have to say you can always choose to skim through my posts is that simple.

>>And by the way, 'slut' IS an archaic word for anyone with more than 3 brain cells.<<

Says who?? You?? Don't make me laugh. I'm sure there are better authorities on the subject that anonymous female on the net.
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
<<Ignores stupid nasty brain-dead moron, laughs at his total and pitiful contemptibility and feeble attempts to use the English language>>
!@#$%^&*()_+   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
Okay. I'll try this one more time. Here goes...

At one end of the spectrum you have the REALLY "nice", very intelligible Scottish accents (like that of Sean Connery or the kind that Damian of Edinburgh probably speaks) and at the other end of the spectrum you have the kind of speech which is used by groundskeeper Willie on the animated series "The Simpsons". Most people fall somewhere in between.

Incidentally, there was a character, a long time ago, on the American soap opera "General Hospital", named Duke Lavery. I forgot his real name but he also had one of those "top-notch", ultra-intelligible Scottish accents. It was nothing like the "burr" you hear from some speakers.

Damian, please correct me if I'm wrong.

...and please, enough with all this other nonsense!!!
Candy   Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
<<...and please, enough with all this other nonsense!!! >>
Amen to that. Let's get Antimoon back to the civilised place it has been recently, without using the word 'sl*t'.