Are there any linguists among Antimooners?

NotGuest   Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:00 am GMT
Тhe Islamic women act differently to the non-Islamic I know, they prohibit the import into their system of my domestically produced foodstuffs. On the other hand, non-Islamic are very willing to establish Free Trade agreements with multiple entities simultaneously. Why would they want only a single trading partner?
guest2   Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 pm GMT
Jasper Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:51 pm GMT:

<<As I have said before, the topic of language development in the brain is of more interest to me. Why is this revelant in ANTIMOON? We might be able to use the knowledge to improve our command of the English language, which is the whole raison d'etre of ANTIMOON.>>

Using that knowledge for learning would be great, but IMO is very unlikely that it would help much. Consider the following: In ancient times, the groups people live in were very small and therefore it was likely that someone had to learn one or even more other languages (trading, marriage, etc.). The situation you describe about the US is very ''recent'' in the sense that such a situation is very unlikely to emerge during the course of history. So, most human beings were engaged in language learning. If there would be an easy, fast, cheep and easily applicable method of learnig a foreign language, it would have been found by chance or by reflecting the learning experiences of so many people.

<<Guest, in a very real way, you're lucky you're German.>>

I like my mother tongue, that's all!

In a very real way, I've had very nasty problems being German. I don't like many of the aspects of Germany, especially it's political system.

<<I think it's great for you that you love foreign languages, I just don't think many Americans would share that interest because they wouldn't be able to use it in a satisfying way.>>

When is a language used in a satisfying way?

I'm interested in languages for knowing something of how languages differ and of how things are expressed in different languages, the actual usage is of minor concern.