Are foreign languages popular majors in English-speaking?

Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
Are foreign languages popular majors in English-speaking countries?
ASU   Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 pm GMT
obviously can't speak for everywhere, but in Arizona, where I went to school, Spanish was very popular. Usually it was done as a secondary major or as a minor, however.
Uriel   Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:00 am GMT
My mother majored in German until switching to biology, and I've met a few people who've majored in languages. It's not that common, though, as it's unlikely to net you a good job after school. Most people will minor in a language instead. Some majors even require that you minor in a language -- art history majors at my old university are required to either minor in or be fluent in French or German, for instance.
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:45 am GMT
<<My mother majored in German until switching to biology>>
Could she easily switch to biology, which is a science major?
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:02 am GMT
<<My mother majored in German until switching to biology>>
Could she easily switch to biology, which is a science major?

Usually yes. as an undergraduate in the US most students need to take the same "unrelated" additional courses regardless of major. For example science majors are required to take so many credits in humanities, sports, literature etc and likewise students studying languages/history, literature etc would be required to take a certain amount of math and science, physical education related courses. I think this is different from European schools.
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:08 am GMT
<<Usually yes. as an undergraduate in the US most students need to take the same "unrelated" additional courses regardless of major. >>
That is really good for the all-round develoment of humanity.
The modern society needs talents with an X-shaped knowledge structure.
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:11 am GMT
BTW, Uriel, which majors are generally the popular ones in the US?
Xie   Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:15 am GMT
I should try the Princeton Russian course just to see how good it is. If so, at least I can find one superb language major in the US. I expect one word to describe it: comprehensive.
Skippy   Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
At my university, SDSU, you needed three semesters of a language to graduate, and another two would give you a minor, then another two or three would get you a major.

Many of my friends, I won't say most but it very well could be, majored in a language. One of my friends double majored in French and Italian, another History and Spanish, I minored in German, my former roommate majored in German, and the girl I share my office with here at LSU double majored in Political Science and Russian.

So I would say foreign languages are very popular majors (naturally, some more than others, Spanish more than French, French more than German, German more than Italian, etc.).
K. T.   Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
Well, they existed, and continue to exist at my alma mater, but I wouldn't say that they are "popular" because my school is more famous for ...football.

I would suggest that people choose a double major-a foreign language and another major. Engineering and Chinese would be good, lol.
Meesh   Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:13 am GMT
At UCLA, it's not very common to major in a language because majoring in a language requires more than just language courses. One must take composition courses in that foreign language as well as literature courses and cultural courses.

It's much more involved than one might think.

There are a lot of majors here that require students to be proficient in a foreign language. For example, Global Studies, Economics - International Area Studies, and International Development studies require students to take at least six quarters of a foreign language.

Popular majors (unrelated to language): Psychology, Economics, Political Science, and all forms of Biology (Micro-immunology molecular genetics or molecular cell development).
PersonWhoIsNotALocal   Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:24 am GMT
A lot of top universities in the USA require postgraduates to have the ability to read mathematical papers in several foreign languages. At Princeton it is 2 of French, German or Russian.
Paul   Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 am GMT
Yes they are popular, but In the United States foreign language majors don't mean much of anything, because they generally graduate people without them being proficient in the language.

Don't expect somebody with a B.A in Spanish, or French to actually be able to speak it; the degree only means that they completed x amount of credits, which considering the dismal quality of foreign language education here across the board, is nothing in the way of actual knowledge.
Guest   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 pm GMT
"So I would say foreign languages are very popular majors (naturally, some more than others, Spanish more than French, French more than German, German more than Italian, etc.)."

In USA Italian passed French and German. Chinese is growing fast and in the near future will be second afther Spanish.
Skippy   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:46 pm GMT
<<In USA Italian passed French and German. Chinese is growing fast and in the near future will be second afther Spanish.>>

The most recent data I've seen (Fall 2006 enrollments) was:
01. Spanish
02. French
03. German
04. ASL
05. Italian
06. Japanese
07. Chinese
08. Latin
09. Russian
10. Arabic

An earlier study has Italian and ASL switched.