Esperanto should be compulsory subject in the world

ESP   Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:16 pm GMT
i think children in school in the world should learn official language and esperanto
Esperantist   Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:36 pm GMT
If they made high budget movies in Esperanto it'd be more popular. I know Willy Shatner once starred in an Esperanto film, but there needs films made with the best actors/actresses like Arnolt Schwarrzenegger and Jack Nicholson for Esperanto to become popular.
Invitado   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:09 pm GMT
Esperanto sounds like shit (yes, I've heard it), if anything it should be Interlingua.
fuck esperanto   Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
dream on

esperanto not only sounds like shit - it is useless shit
Niko   Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
While the reasons for creating Esperanto were noble, its execution and the overall feel of the language are lacking. Esperanto resembles the Romance languages and English too much. Why learn something that obviously has less cultural value than English or others?
Post a reply   Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
"Esperanto resembles the Romance languages and English too much. Why learn something that obviously has less cultural value than English or others?"

Exactly. The creation of Esperanto was a recognition of Germanic and Romance languages' superiority.
Esperanto admitted its uselessness from day one.
Guesto   Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
Actually the reason by Esperanto sounds terrible is because it mixed a bunch of languages, besides that ugly slavic phonology doesn't help either, compared to Interlingua which is 100% Romance-based language, so it sounds beautiful.
Totalitarian   Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
The only chance Esperanto has of becoming used is if some future totalitarian regime adopts it as the Language of Unity and forces all people to learn it or be executed. All other languages will be abolished and Esperanto will become the language of all the people, a language without ethnicity, putting all people at an equal level.

ВПЕРЕД СОЮЗ ЭСПЕРАНТО-ГОВОРЯЩИХ ПРОЛЕТАРИАТОВ! ДА ЗДРАВСТВУЕТ ВЕЛИКИЙ ЯЗЫК НАШЕГО ЛЮБИМОГО ГОСУДАРСТВА! ЧТОБ ВСЕ ОСТАЛЬНЫЕ ЯЗЫКИ БЫЛИ СТЕРТЫМИ С ЛИЦА МИРА, ИБО ОНИ ЯВЛЯЮТСЯ ПРИЧИНОЙ МНОГОЧИСЛЕННЫХ ВОЙН И ЗВЕРСКИХ ПРЕСТУПЛЕНИЙ!
noneuian   Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:00 am GMT
Has the EU adopted Esperanto (or for that matter, Interlingua) as one of it's official langiages?
euian   Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
^This is so preposterous it's almost plausible.
Caspian   Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:41 pm GMT
Personally, I think that as a world language, neither Esperanto nor Interlingua, nor any other language suit - and no language that anybody could create would suit. Most conlangs are based on Indo-European languages, therefore these languages would possible be good in Europe.

I'm for Interlingua - it sounds good, and it's realistic. It's based on Romance languages, is mostly regular, easy to learn, you don't need to learn it to understand it - I could go on.

Si vos vole provar a comprender Interlingua, clicca ci: www.interlingua.com

o ci:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=14mck3blKvw

Si vos vole veder vider un version con subtitulos in Anglese, clicca ci:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tjwbq9sdAp0
shiz   Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
There would have to be some world wide consensus that it would be the official international language. Maybe under some "world regime" but I don't see this happening.
noneuian   Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
<<Maybe under some "world regime" but I don't see this happening. >>

The only plausible "world regime" would be China-centric, if China managed to become several times more powerful than all the rest of the world put together. If they chose to, they could then dictate what language was spoken worldwide, perhaps after getting rid of everyone else on the planet. My guess is the new "world language" wouldn't be either Esperanto or Interlingua.
Sigmund   Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:45 am GMT
Actually, I think China has the largest amount of Esperanto speakers in the world. I can imagine a scenario whereby, controlling the whole world, they consider Mandarin to be the 'supreme language' of the Chinese people, and then impose a 'people's language' on the rest of the world to allow them to keep track on everyone in a relatively simple language which every one would know, and allow them to abandon their old language. I don't think they would choose Mandarin for this world language because it is too complicated for everyone to know, and if the people can't learn it, it won't be able to replace their original native languages. It would be much easier and more rapid to force a simplified language on other races, and it would also help keep them suppressed and brainwashed.
Guesto   Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:22 am GMT
Amo Interlingua, es tan facil de entender y pronunciar que es casi como si estuviera leyendo espaƱol, y ambos se ven super increible!

I love Interlingua, is so easy to understand and pronounce that is almost as if I was reading Spanish, and they both look super cool!