Does Barack Obama speak pleasantly?

Euan   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
"Oh please - by European standards, Obama is practically a conservative, you must remember"

True.

Change? From the Far Right to the Center Right.
doomsayer   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:22 pm GMT
<<Oh please - by European standards, Obama is practically a conservative, you must remember. >>

I suspect the downward spiral will continue, regardless of how liberal or conservative Obama or his successors turn out to be. Of course, some of this downward spiral is relative to other rising superpowers, rather than in absolute terms. It's been going on for perhaps half a century already, and sooner or later it'll catch up to us, and the US will be an unimportant nation (in relative terms). English will probably become as important as French is now -- still studied around the world, but overshadowed by other languages.
Jasper   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 pm GMT
Doomsayer, don't count us out yet. Allow me to explain.

This country came from a spot, in my own lifetime, where African-Americans went from a place where they had their own restrooms, water fountains, and hotels, and couldn't even vote, to a place where an African-American has been voted in as President.

Obama himself grew up in a family of a single mother who was on Welfare, to the top spot in the still-most powerful nation nation on the Earth.

The enormity of these accomplishments cannot be underemphasized; it truly is remarkable. They speak of an enormous dynamism in a country--a dynamism probably not shared by any other country in the world.

I think this same dynamism will propel us out of this horrible mess we're in. For the first time in decades, I feel like I don't have to apologize any more for being an American.
Invité d'honneur   Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
Euan: «Change? From the Far Right to the Center Right.»

True. Though that's already an achievement next to some countries here in good ol' Europe: Sarkozy, Berlusconi, Lech Kaczyński...

Jasper: «The enormity of these accomplishments cannot be underemphasized; it truly is remarkable.»

True.

Jasper: «They speak of an enormous dynamism in a country--a dynamism probably not shared by any other country in the world.»

I wouldn't say that. Social mobility is now lower in the USA than in Europe, according to the OECD. I do hope for the Americans that Obama will succeed in restoring the balance though, helping them make their lives more like his.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm GMT
It seems to be like the dawn of a new age already on the International scene. I so, so, so wish Barack Obama all the very best of luck in what will no doubt be a very difficult task picking up the pieces of a shattered American global reputation again, if you will kindly pardon a European Brit for saying that. I only hope and pray he will be allowed to do so and that he will never come to any kind of harm.

What a joy to once more have an American President who respects the English Language!

Thank you, America, thank you!
Uriel   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm GMT
Hell, I've never felt like I had to apologize for being an American. Can't stand that mindset.

Well, having finally heard his acceptance speech, I would say that he has a strong, pleasant voice and he knows how to use it to maximum effect. You can hear a little of that warm throatiness that is associated with black people (although some whites have it too, and many blacks do not). He doesn't have much of a definable regional accent, to my ears, but having lived in so many places, why would he?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
I put the cart before the horse in my last post - I am, of course, a Brit European, not a European Brit.....there is a world of difference between the two.

I will now take even more interest in Stephen Fry's jaunt through every single one of the 50 American States. I am so looking forward to both Alaska and Hawaii, but something makes me think that Utah will be quite interesting from the point of view of lifestyles.

What do you call a person from Utah? You know, like those guys, always in pairs, always about 8ft 6in tall, always clean cut and smart suited and neatly cropped and sparkly eyed and carrying briefcases and promoting the mysticisms of Mormonism from door to door over here in the UK......(if anything is a lost cause then that surely is over here!) .....oh, I nearly forgot.....and always from Utah. Are they Utahians? If so, how do you pronounce that?

America, America! God shed His grace on thee!
And crown thys good
With brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
Uriel   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 am GMT
Utahan. (YOO-ta-en) Not the most euphonious word, but that's what they are.

Why so interested in the 50 states? What sense did you get of them over there?
Claria   Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 am GMT
<<Shuimo Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
By no means was I kidding!
Just tell me what "these most popular forums" you visited were. >>

I refer to www.tianya.cn, etc, just go there and I am sure you can read Chinese without problem. My impression is that most Chinese netizens are quite confused why US elected a person whose only merit seems to be his oratory skills. Plus they don't like the way Obama looks and talks, most think he doesn't look like a trustworthy guy.

Can someone enlighten me on why Obama is thought as a good speaker in US even if he "sure does say "um" a lot"?
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 am GMT
<<Claria Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:27 am GMT
I refer to www.tianya.cn, etc, just go there and I am sure you can read Chinese without problem. My impression is that most Chinese netizens are quite confused why US elected a person whose only merit seems to be his oratory skills. Plus they don't like the way Obama looks and talks, most think he doesn't look like a trustworthy guy. >>

The tianya website is just small beer compared with Sina.
Your impression is not right, overall. Just click www.people.com.cn, www.163.com, www.sohu.com.cn
BTW, isn't tianya a gathering place of angry young men?
Claria   Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 am GMT
<<The tianya website is just small beer compared with Sina.
>>
Sina is just a portal website, while www.tianya.cn is the most influential forum with insightful posts and comments by people from all walks of life, not just "angry young man" as you suggested.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:15 am GMT
<<Claria Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 am GMT
Sina is just a portal website, while www.tianya.cn is the most influential forum with insightful posts and comments by people from all walks of life, not just "angry young man" as you suggested. >>

www.tianya.cn is the most influential forum,are you kdding me?
Sina is just a portal website, true!
New Yorktimes is just a portal-website-type newspaper, also true!
How many of us know the most influential forum of the US?
Whether tianya is the most influential website of China is highly disputable. Why not try mop, chinabbs?
Forums are forums. Ants are ants. Elephants are elephants! Clear enough?
BTW, I am also a registered member of tianya.
I know too well the virtual world of the Chinese language!
Claria   Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 am GMT
<<www.tianya.cn is the most influential forum,are you kdding me
Whether tianya is the most influential website of China is highly disputable. Why not try mop, chinabbs?
>>
mop is basically for entertainment, OK?
If tianya is not the most influential forum, tell me which one is? tianya has enormous registered users who are always actively involved in heated discussions of all the high-profile social, political and economical events. even Google cooperates with tianya, that shows how influential this forum is

Sina, Sohu and 163 are just feeding news, but when it comes to interactive discussions, no other websites can defeat tianya in my humble opinion
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 am GMT
<<Claria Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 am GMT
mop is basically for entertainment, OK?
If tianya is not the most influential forum, tell me which one is? tianya has enormous registered users who are always actively involved in heated discussions of all the high-profile social, political and economical events. even Google cooperates with tianya, that shows how influential this forum is

Sina, Sohu and 163 are just feeding news, but when it comes to interactive discussions, no other websites can defeat tianya in my humble opinion >>
Influential in what ways?
Google and Baidu have cooperation with a number of websites and companies, OK?

Sina, Sohu and 163 are just feeding news?
Check your understanding of what a portal website is!
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:22 am GMT
Believe it or not, here is the top 10 online Chinese forums up to date and up to today Nov 6,2008, all of them with enormous registered members highly active in heated and/or lively discussions of current affairs.

1 - 五花八门 猫扑
2 - 中华论坛 中华网论坛
3 - 社会杂谈 猫扑
4 - 情感交流 猫扑
5 -娱乐八卦 猫扑
6 - KDS宽带山 PChome社区
7 - 摄影专区 POCO论坛
8 - 主社区 泡泡网
9 - 荐股之王 股天下
10 - 人之初 ChinaRen