Does Barack Obama speak pleasantly?

gasbuddy   Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
<<How many of us know the most influential forum of the US? >>

Typical forum: http://www.newyorkstategasprices.com/Forum_Topics.aspx?category=1176
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:55 am GMT
I am amazed by how differently Chineses and American feel about Obama. Many in China feel it a pity that the eye candy Palin is not elected. Many are annoyed that they have to watch Obama, who is not handsome at all, often in the TV news in the coming 4 years
pleasedon'tpostasGuest   Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 am GMT
Do the Chinese consider Obama 'tainted' or something? I thought that was their forte? They should like him!
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:15 am GMT
Obama has nothing to do with 'tainted', but he has something to do with following English phrases
All mouth, no trousers
All hat and no cattle
All talk, no action
He talks the talk but can't walk the walk
Talks a good game

Whichever version you use, the meaning is the same : empty boasting.
Shuimo   Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:57 am GMT
<<Claria Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:55 am GMT
I am amazed by how differently Chineses and American feel about Obama. Many in China feel it a pity that the eye candy Palin is not elected. Many are annoyed that they have to watch Obama, who is not handsome at all, often in the TV news in the coming 4 years >>
Shame on you!
A vulgar superficial shallow woman!
Guest   Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:59 am GMT
Ignore this vulgar racist woman!
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:33 am GMT
Shuimo
Shame on you, loser in tianya
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:38 am GMT
I might be shallow, but I am not alone, I don't mind to be one of those who would love to see a lovely and delightful face in the TV.
I am definitely not racist, whether Obama is white or African-American won't change my impression about him. I merely comment on his speech style
RAR!   Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:26 am GMT
What are you, Claria?
Jasper   Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:07 am GMT
Claria, are you serious?

You'd vote for someone to be President based on their looks alone? I cannot believe that Chinese people think like that.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:04 am GMT
Sadly in our democratic systems even the most shallow and frivolous of people have the right to vote.
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:22 am GMT
Jasper
Chinese firmly believe that one's look is somewhat related to ones' heart and mind. A kind, caring person will look amiable. Chinese always apply such theory in their social life.
There is a widely circulated Chinese old Saying" 相由心生" which expresses such idea. I wonder if there is any English phrase with similar meaning?
twoonethree   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:35 am GMT
<<<Sadly in our democratic systems even the most shallow and frivolous of people have the right to vote. >>>

...but they make up the majority of the electorate.
Claria   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:41 am GMT
US president Abraham Lincoln once said: "Every man over forty is responsible for his face."
What did he really mean? Does the sentence convey message similar to the old Chinese saying I just mentioned?
Shuimo   Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:26 am GMT
《Claria Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:22 am GMT
Jasper
Chinese firmly believe that one's look is somewhat related to ones' heart and mind. A kind, caring person will look amiable. Chinese always apply such theory in their social life.
There is a widely circulated Chinese old Saying" 相由心生" which expresses such idea. I wonder if there is any English phrase with similar meaning? 》
Trash!
Stop taking hostage the Chinese people and the Chinese culture!