African Portuguese

J.C.   Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:06 am GMT
Hey folks!!!

As I wrote in a thread about Brazilian Portuguese I recently started working with people from Mozambique and was surprised at how clear
their Portuguese sounds to a speaker of BP. I wonder if that has to do with identity since my great-grand father was from Mozambique (Never had contact with him, though) or if that's just a linguistic fact (Maybe Brazil was influenced by Mozambican slaves).
Sorry if my question sound too confusing but I'd like to know if anybody has an opinion about AFRICAN PORTUGUESE.

Thanks!!
Vilão   Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm GMT
try Wikipedia

Angolan Portuguese:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angolan_Portuguese

Mozambican Portuguese:

Cape Verdean Portuguese:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Verdean_Portuguese

SãoToméan Portuguese:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A3o_Tomean_Portuguese
Vilão   Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
eastlander   Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
Maybe Cesaria Evora sings in African (Cape Verdean) Portuguese?
J.C.   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:36 am GMT
Obrigado Vilão!!

I will be checking on the links you gave me!!
Paul   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
Jacyra   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
''Maybe Cesaria Evora sings in African (Cape Verdean) Portuguese? ''

She doesn't, she sings in Cape Verdean (Creole) language.

Ethnologue report for Cape Verde:
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CV

Republic of Cape Verde.
República de Cabo Verde. 415,294. National or official languages: Portuguese, Kabuverdianu. Literacy rate: 37% to 70%. Information mainly from J. Holm 1989; S. and T. Graham 2002. The number of languages listed for Cape Verde Islands is 2. Of those, both are living languages.

Living languages
Kabuverdianu

[kea] 393,943 in Cape Verde Islands (1998 S. Graham). Population includes 255,101 in Sotavento or 65% of the speakers, 138,842 in Barlavento or 35% of the speakers. Population total all countries: 926,078. Sotavento dialect is on Santiago, Maio, Fogo, and Brava islands; Barlavento dialect is on Santo Antão, São Vicente, São Nicolau, Sal, and Boa Vista islands. Also spoken in France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Senegal, Spain, USA. Alternate names: Caboverdiano. Dialects: Sotavento, Barlavento. There is a creole continuum and some decreolization. Lexical similarity 59% with the Gulf of Guinea creoles. Classification: Creole, Portuguese based
More information.

Portuguese

[por] 14,817 in Cape Verde Islands (2004). Classification: Indo-European, Italic, Romance, Italo-Western, Western, Gallo-Iberian, Ibero-Romance, West Iberian, Portuguese-Galician Republic of Cape Verde. República de Cabo Verde. 415,294. National or official languages: Portuguese, Kabuverdianu. Literacy rate: 37% to 70%. Information mainly from J. Holm 1989; S. and T. Graham 2002. The number of languages listed for Cape Verde Islands is 2. Of those, both are living languages.

Living languages
Kabuverdianu

[kea] 393,943 in Cape Verde Islands (1998 S. Graham). Population includes 255,101 in Sotavento or 65% of the speakers, 138,842 in Barlavento or 35% of the speakers. Population total all countries: 926,078. Sotavento dialect is on Santiago, Maio, Fogo, and Brava islands; Barlavento dialect is on Santo Antão, São Vicente, São Nicolau, Sal, and Boa Vista islands. Also spoken in France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Senegal, Spain, USA. Alternate names: Caboverdiano. Dialects: Sotavento, Barlavento. There is a creole continuum and some decreolization. Lexical similarity 59% with the Gulf of Guinea creoles. Classification: Creole, Portuguese based
More information.
Portuguese

[por] 14,817 in Cape Verde Islands (2004). Classification: Indo-European, Italic, Romance, Italo-Western, Western, Gallo-Iberian, Ibero-Romance, West Iberian, Portuguese-Galician
Jacyra   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
Kabuverdianu
A language of Cape Verde Islands

ISO 639-3: kea

Population 393,943 in Cape Verde Islands (1998 S. Graham). Population includes 255,101 in Sotavento or 65% of the speakers, 138,842 in Barlavento or 35% of the speakers. Population total all countries: 926,078.

Region Sotavento dialect is on Santiago, Maio, Fogo, and Brava islands; Barlavento dialect is on Santo Antão, São Vicente, São Nicolau, Sal, and Boa Vista islands. Also spoken in France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Senegal, Spain, USA.
Alternate names Caboverdiano

Dialects Sotavento, Barlavento. There is a creole continuum and some decreolization. Lexical similarity 59% with the Gulf of Guinea creoles.
Classification Creole, Portuguese based

Language use National language. 29% are comfortable in Portuguese, 36% uncomfortable, 34% not functional. Since independence in 1975, the domains of spoken Portuguese have receded in favor of Creole. Portuguese used primarily on TV and radio, in Congress, classrooms, churches, and with foreigners. Portuguese is the primary language of instruction in 12 grades.

Language development Literacy rate in second language: 29% Portuguese. Radio programs. Dictionary. Grammar. Bible portions: 1936.
Comments Christian.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kea
MBunda   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 pm GMT
J.C.   Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:09 am GMT
Thanks everybody for the interesting videos. However, since the videos were meant for the TV I can't feel much of a regional feeling. Rather, people are speaking in a type of standard language and I can't figure out what is "Angolan" or "Mozambican". It's like having a "carioca" or "paulista" speaking and then compare that to the "standard language"(In Brazil that can only be seen on TV)...
Vilão   Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:48 am GMT
Carioca and Paulistano are not standard accents, they are strong, marked accents. Therefore, the standard Brazilian accent (used in Jornal da Globo) is an accent close to South Fluminense (Volta Redonda, Barra Mansa, Paraty), and Capixaba (Vitória, Guarapary) accents.

William Boner and Fátima Bernardes would never pass for a Paulistano or a Carioca, they use a more neutral accent in the TV news, which is close to the accents of Sul-Fluminense, Juiz de Fora (MG) and Espírito Santo (Vitória) regions of Brazil.

differences from Carioca (Rio city) accents: chiado (sh instead of s) is prohibited, dypthongization of open vowels (like in aguóra for agóra) is not allowed;
differences from Paulistano accents: American or Spanish r's are not allowed, Italian intonation is not allowed, dyphtongization of nasals (like in teimpo, intendeindo for tempo, entendendo) is not allowed.

It's like in US, the most frequent accents in movies/sitcoms are Californian and the NYC one, but they are not preferred on national news, national newscasters accent is closer to the speech of Denver and Omaha.
J.C.   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:12 am GMT
Vilão: I didn't say that Paulista and Carioca accents are STANDARD accents. Rather I said that the links for the given videos for Moçambique and Angola don't show a regional flavor like the Carioca or Paulista accent, which can be picked up right away in comparison to people speaking in the "standard language" used on TV. By the way, you're not telling me anything new about the pronunciation used on Jornal da Globo since I'm Carioca and have a lot of contact with São Paulo people in Japan.
Anyway, one cannot deny the influence of the Carioca and Paulista accents since they make up the supposed "standard" for Brazilian Portuguese (Therefore you quoted the accents that use the "r" from Rio and the "s" from São Paulo like Espírito Santo and Minas Gerais for instance. People in Japan that I meet think I'm from Brasília or Minas Gerais because I HATE the final "s" from Rio, which not everybody uses and could become an "R" in final position like in "dois reais", pronounced like "dorreal" . I NEVER say "doish reaish") because most actors I've seen must speak in either one of these accents and I've seen people like "Patrícia França", who despite being from Recife, tried (At least at the time I used to see her on TV in Brazil 10 years ago) to sound like a Carioca. I've never seen newscasters trying to sound like a "gaúcho" , "baiano" or any other regional speaker. And even if they sounded I would have no problem with that because they would still be pretty understandable.

Thanks for your insight on the standard language in the US. Personally I like the californian accent and have picked up a lot from my "dude" friends, even though I think that southern accents(I got some friends from Tennessee) are pretty cool too!!
J.C.   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:31 am GMT
"dypthongization of open vowels (like in aguóra for agóra) is not allowed"

Vilão: Where did you take this from? It must be from a book because I've never heard or read about this. It's interesting to see so many assumptions about the Carioca or even the Paulista accent. I've also met many paulistano people who don't use dyphtongation of vowels and don't say "meu" and "oloko" all the time.
Vilão   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
Vanessa Giácomo (from Volta Redonda RJ) is a perfect example of ''neutral, Jornal da Globo accent''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dEEvmX_Dg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xdvWpFIdY

I like Priscila Fantin, from Salvador;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL1-qy3riiI
J.C.   Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 am GMT
Vilão:
Thanks for the interesting videos and I was surprised to see even a person from Salvador trying to speak with a globo like accent. However, I wonder how these people speak in a daily situation with their family for instance.
When I was in college I heard that people in Brazil take accents seriously when it comes to work and that a person with a northeast accent would have difficulties finding a job at EMBRATEL for instance. I've also heard from friends who travelled up north Brazil that they heard people in such regions trying to sound like people from Rio but the opposite isn't true!! When people try to imitate northeast accents is to make fun of people . Whenever people from northeast are portrayed in "novelas" the accent used is as lame as possible.
While language used on the news could be "standardized", movies could show the language as it is like in "Central do Brasil" or "Cidade de Deus".
Central do Brasil: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZyA31L2J8&feature=related

Cheers!
p.s Fernanda Montenegro ALWAYS sound like a Carioca to me, even in the NOVELAS.