The most studied languages

Guest   Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:44 pm GMT
How many R&D centers use French in Canada? Only English.
How many R&D centers   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:47 pm GMT
"How many R&D centers use French in Canada? Only English."

You couldn't be more wrong.
Quebec has proportionally more hi-tech companies than most north American provinces/states. The larger ones have often bilingual departments (especially for sales), but most of them are routinely run in French.

The Bombardier group (nr 3 worldwide in commercial aerospace) is based in Quebec, has of course English speaking subsidiaries in USA (like Learjet for instance) and in the rest of Canada, but as a whole their engineering department use more massively French than Airbus!
US user   Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:46 pm GMT
Anyway, there are 7 million of French speakers in Canada.

So, French is and will be THIRD language of North America, after English (over 300 million) and Spanish (over 150 million).
Guest   Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:21 pm GMT
Bombardier uses English by default, not French:
http://www.bombardier.com/
If the company leaves certain room to French it must be due to a kind of pressure of the regional Quebec politicians.
Thai   Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:22 am GMT
I am Thai and hence my native language is Thai. I live in Thailand. I have a cousin who lives in Paris, a neice who lives in South Africa. I have a friend who lives in New York and another in Sydney, Australia, and my former professor recently relocated to Sao Paulo. To top it all off, a team of Thai scientists is currently studying in Antarctica.

Thus, Thai is spoken in all continents and is truly a global language.
default   Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 am GMT
opens a French homepage.

"a kind of pressure of the regional Quebec politicians"

Don't be so stupidly delusional.
Look at the Board of Directors, no pressure is needed:
http://www.bombardier.com/fr/bombardier/a-propos-de-nous/equipe-de-direction

All are native Francophones (including Daniel Johnson, who was briefly Quebec Prime Minister in the 90's), except for one German and one Mexican, and possibly the only one based in the U.S. of A. (but he's called Jean-Pierre Rosso).

On the other hand, in North American operations, positions related to marketing, sales, customer support etc. (the majority of presidents and vice presidents) are held by people whose mother tongue is the one used by nearly all North American customers, English of course.
Guest   Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:27 am GMT
And? Many big companies in Germany use English almost exclusively despite the staff is native German. At least German is spoken by 80 millions, but French in Quebec? Don't make me laugh, they are only 6 millions
French reality check   Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:32 am GMT
I find it funny that every time a franco attempts to attack the status of Spanish, they resort to that similar argument and post from "anti-crap". Spanish is in danger blah blah with no real proof, just assertions by defensive franco fanatics. No shit Spanish was a colonial language. Thanks for the history lesson professor. Here is why your post IS crap:

There is a big difference between Spanish and French outside of Europe. The majority of people in Latin America are of Spanish desent to some degree and the language has been used in the region for hundreds of years. Hence it is also a language of their culture, something the people appreciate. In Africa, French is only a colonial language, that's it. And only since the 19th century. You talk about native languages in LA, but shall we compare this to Africa, where there are far more native languages used by many many more native people.

Also, Latin American countries are improving ties with each other and want to exhert their own influence over the region rather than that of the US. Spanish has favorable status in Brazilian schools.

The francos also claim Spanish is "breaking up". Um, ok, then what about the various dialects of African French or Quebecois where the speakers have become more proud of THEIR way of speaking the language? Sounds like French has issues of its own to worry about. Not to mention its overall decline in students.
Visitop   Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:00 am GMT
<< Bombardier uses English by default, not French:
If the company leaves certain room to French it must be due to a kind of pressure of the regional Quebec politicians. >>

This is only a website and of course it would use English if the subsidiary is in the US but in Quebec it would be in French, BOBO
Visitor   Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:02 am GMT
And? Many big companies in Germany use English almost exclusively despite the staff is native German. At least German is spoken by 80 millions, but Castilian Spanish in Spain? Don't make me laugh, they are only 10 millions
Spanish reality check   Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:06 am GMT
Also, to add to my point about the insignificance of Spanish in Asia - Spanish is not an official language in the the Philippines and it's spoken by just 2,000+ there and its overall use there has severely declined due to Tagalog, English, and Chinese.
Spanish reality check   Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:07 am GMT
Just checked and saw that Spanish is also not official in the Philippines. So it is not offical anywhere in Asia. Its spoken in its pidgin form in Marianas and Guam.
French reality check   Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 am GMT
<< Also, to add to my point about the insignificance of Spanish in Asia - Spanish is not an official language in the the Philippines and it's spoken by just 2,000+ there and its overall use there has severely declined due to Tagalog, English, and Chinese. >>

<< Just checked and saw that Spanish is also not official in the Philippines. So it is not offical anywhere in Asia. Its spoken in its pidgin form in Marianas and Guam. >>

Um...I never claimed that Spanish was present or important in Asia. I know it isn't. The point I made before was that French is NOT spoken on 5 continents like some fracophiles claim. It only has significant presence on 3...barely.

Why do francos always have to bring up Spanish when someone makes a point about French? I've made realistic points about French and Spanish, including the limitations of both. But usually the French people get all worked up and defensive for some reason.
Francisco Franco   Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm GMT
Spanish is in process of becoming a national language in Philipines again. President Gloria Arroyo Macapagal is working to achieve this. She is member of the Spanish Academy of Philipines so despite French and Spanish are not important in Asia, I would say Spanish has a much better perspectives in this continent.
Spanish reality check   Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am GMT
<< Um...I never claimed that Spanish was present or important in Asia. I know it isn't. The point I made before was that French is NOT spoken on 5 continents like some fracophiles claim. It only has significant presence on 3...barely. >>

The point is Spanish is just present in 3 continents and French in 5 continents.

<< Why do francos always have to bring up Spanish when someone makes a point about French? I've made realistic points about French and Spanish, including the limitations of both. But usually the French people get all worked up and defensive for some reason. >>

Why do hispanos always have to attack French when someone makes a point about the importance of French? I've made realistic points about French and Spanish, including the limitations of both. But usually the Spanish people get all worked up and offensive for many reasons.

<< Spanish is in process of becoming a national language in Philipines again. President Gloria Arroyo Macapagal is working to achieve this. She is member of the Spanish Academy of Philipines so despite French and Spanish are not important in Asia, I would say Spanish has a much better perspectives in this continent. >>

I would say that French is far more in better shape than Spanish.

Go on with your dreams about the restoration of Spanish in the Philippines. But if you would ask the Filipinos, they are so unwilling to learn the language of their colonisers who oppressed and tyrranised them.