Which language is more important in future:Hindi or Japanese

Abdulla   Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:28 am GMT
I just consider whether I should take Hindi or Japanese as my foreign language study. I'm living in California,USA. I only have one choice: Hindi or Japanese. Plz give me the advice. Thx!
Abdulla   Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:29 am GMT
Btw, I have plan to settle down in Asia in future. So, I just hesitate whether I should go for Hindi or Japanese.
Makha   Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:36 am GMT
Considering the influence of Asia, China and India will step down Japan in future. So, I suggest u study Hindi!
D   Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:56 am GMT
Makha, you must be joking. There shouldn't even be a question about whether to learn Japanese or Hindi. Japanese is the obvious answer! Japan makes much of the world's electronics. What has India (especially Hindi-speakers) done? There, thought so.
svealander   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 am GMT
I'd say Hindi, as India's economy is set to be one of the world's biggest, whereas Japan's is in a terrible state.

Plus there are probably fewer Americans who can speak Hindi than can speak Japanese, as lots of US troops have been stationed in Japan and Japan has been the number 2 economy for a long time, so if you learn Hindi you'll have rarity value.
Chinese   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:48 am GMT
Japanese is,of course,much more important or helpful than Hindi。

No doubt!
J.C.   Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
Well, considering that the educated people in India speak English I don't think there is any reason to learn Hindi. On the other hand, in order to do business with Japan I think it's indispensable to speak Japanese.
Paula Abdull   Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 pm GMT
J.C. has nailed it.
Tyrone   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm GMT
In Indian technical institutions English is used exclusively, even if there are only Indians present.
Talo   Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:59 am GMT
"J.C. Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
Well, considering that the educated people in India speak English I don't think there is any reason to learn Hindi. On the other hand, in order to do business with Japan I think it's indispensable to speak Japanese. "

Well,only less than 3 percent of Indians speak English, but over 77% of Indian ppl speak Hindi.

It's obvious that Hindi will be claimed as the only one official language of India even though Tamil regions of India already tend to agree with it.
Slobodan Milosevic   Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:13 am GMT
<<It's obvious that Hindi will be claimed as the only one official language of India>>

But that doesn't mean it will be important outside of India. When English is used exclusively in all technical areas, that is not a very easy trend to turn around. It took the Europeans 1000 years to stop using Latin even after it was extinct. And English is far from extinct.
Usersh   Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 am GMT
The question is, do you wanna visit a beautiful and super developed country such as Japan, or do you want to visit the biggest slum on earth? you choose.
J.C.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:35 am GMT
"Well,only less than 3 percent of Indians speak English, but over 77% of Indian ppl speak Hindi. "
Talo: Thanks for your comment. However, even though 3% might seem just a little, it is quite a lot compared to the whole population of India. Besides that, I believe that this 3% has the power to make decisions and has the $$ in hands. Hindi would be interesting if one wants to live in India and hang out with the locals but as far busine$$ is concerned, English is enough.
In the case of Japan, where I have been for 10 years, the level of English isn't as high as in India and speaking Japanese would be not only welcome but indispensable to get some good deals.

Cheers,
Talo   Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 am GMT
"Slobodan Milosevic Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:13 am GMT
But that doesn't mean it will be important outside of India. When English is used exclusively in all technical areas, that is not a very easy trend to turn around. It took the Europeans 1000 years to stop using Latin even after it was extinct. And English is far from extinct. "

Well, plus Pakistan (Hindi's another name in Pakistan:Urdu), Bengadesh, Nepal, even in South Africa.... Well, Hindi is spoken by people of at least two or three continents
Talo   Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 am GMT
"Usersh Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 am GMT
The question is, do you wanna visit a beautiful and super developed country such as Japan, or do you want to visit the biggest slum on earth? you choose. "

The question is: India will surpass Japan on economics. See the development of Japan's unemployment rate. Well, Japan is getting like "Sweden" who has already lost her influence economically. Nowadays,many Japanese are keen learning English and they will be keen speaking English instead of Japanese. But India is different. English is gradually phased out in India and Hindi has been the most spoken language in India.