Which languages are riding a wave of popularity?

Shuimo   Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:34 am GMT
Which LANGUAGES are riding a wave of popularity?
PISHITE PO-RUSSKI   Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:01 am GMT
Это зависит от региона. В некоторых странах испанский язык становится все более популярным, например в России, Австралии и странах восточной Европы. Китайский язык всегда будет популярным между теми, кто готов к трудностям, связанным с этим языком. Русский язык довольно популярен в разных азиатских странах, хотя в меньшей степени. Я например, кореец, обучающийся русскому.
battenberger   Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:12 am GMT
Chinese?
G   Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 am GMT
English, French, Spanish, and Chinese.
Muharram   Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:41 am GMT
Arabic, Persian, ...
Blanc   Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 pm GMT
I don't think so...
Skippy   Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:41 am GMT
In the US I'd say Arabic and Chinese. French and Spanish, and to a lesser extent German, Italian, and Japanese have all been studied for years, Arabic and Chinese are pretty much studied by those making an investment in the future of the Middle East and China.
K. T.   Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:51 am GMT
I've seen interest in Mandarin and Spanish.
desmoronado   Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:45 am GMT
Russian.
J.C.   Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:26 am GMT
As for Brazil, the popular languages (For work) are as follows:
1) English
2) Spanish
3) German, French, Italia
4) Chinese
5) Japanese

However, it's interesting to note that the interest in Spanish has declined, in comparison with its boom when Mercosul started.

Taken from:
http://www.universia.com.br/materia/materia.jsp?materia=5739

As for Japan (Languages after English), the languages are as follows:
1) French
2) Chinese
3) Korean
4) Italian
5) German

However, I used the "general" (There's also division by gender and age) rank given in the following website:
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/ranking/44771/

Cheers!!
Washi   Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 am GMT
I hear that Martian is pretty popular nowadays.
Jin   Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:13 am GMT
<< those making an investment in the future of the Middle East >>

What is the future of the Middle East?

<< As for Japan (Languages after English), the languages are as follows:
1) French
2) Chinese
3) Korean
4) Italian
5) German >>

That seems about right but I hear that Chinese is moving up, which makes sense because China is an important regional neighbor.
J.C.   Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:18 am GMT
"That seems about right but I hear that Chinese is moving up, which makes sense because China is an important regional neighbor. "
Jin: I also think that Chinese is more popular when it comes to business but French is very popular because many Japanese (Specially women) like to travel to France. Looking at the same website I gave as reference French is favorite for women whereas Chinese is the favorite for men.
Korean is also very popular for women, who like to watch "Winter Sonata" and other famous Korean dramas.

Cheers!!
Chinese   Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 am GMT
<What is the future of the Middle East>?

Arabic, together with Persian, is getting more helpful in USA or EUROPE, though Arabic is really difficult for them, and Persian not very easy, either.
Jin   Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:55 am GMT
<< is getting more helpful in USA or EUROPE >>

Please clarify, rewrite.

Also, I asked what is the future of the Middle East itself. Nothing to do with the US and Europe.