Is French on the decline

muhamed   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:09 am GMT
So how long before Arabic becomes the 2nd most common language in France? Or the 1st?
Spanish reality check   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:17 am GMT
<< the Francophone countries in Africa (among THE POOREST in the world). >>

Sigh...once again the hispanic dung beetles just posted non-sense messages full of lies and put the words without facts. Hispanic American countries are THE poorest in the world. Look at the surveys and footages featured for these countries. They are available for anyone to see. Sure the countries in Francophone Africa may have weak purchasing power, but they are better off than much of Hispanic America because they normally eat beef and chicken which are scarce in Hispanic America and therefore resort of eating GUINEA PIGS and resort to selling MARIJUANAS and COCAINE the menaces of the human society.

On the international scene, English and French are the ONLY gobal language. It's funny when the hispanic dung beetles here try desperately to claim that it Spanish is the "2nd" most used in international communication. There is no need for a 3rd place for Spanish, just large regional languages. Even though many schools teach Spanish it is of littlest importance because English and French are more popular, practical and much more necessary. Plus Spanish doesn't have a very large secondary and non-native core of speaks.

And the "4 continent" claim I always hear from hispanic fanatics is crap. It's more like 3 if we are talking about any amount of "significant speakers" - Hispanic America in North and South America and Europe. That's about it. It's no longer spoken in the Philippines, Guam, and Marianas and it's giving way to French in Equatorial Guinea and Western Sahara. Spanish is not as grand as hispanic dung beetles make it out to be.
Spanish reality check   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 am GMT
Ha! A futile failure try hispanic languages. This link is just a blog created by a hispanic trying to prove that Spanish is on the rise even in technical matters which the Spanish speaking world is technological laggard? Are you just mad because of this site http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855611.html because English, Guarani, Quechua, Quiche, Aymara, Italian, French, German, Portuguese, Catalan, Galician, and Basque are threatening Castilian right in its own very turfs?
Krishna   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 am GMT
So how long before Hindi and Hindu becomes the 2nd most common language and Religion of Spain? Or the 1st?
respond -> reply to re   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:28 am GMT
<< The same happens with French in Spain. There are many French African speakers who swim to the Spanish coasts. At least they switch fast to Spanish unlike Hispanics in USA that like to preserve Spanish. >>

The same happens with Hindi in Spain. There are many Hindi speakers who sail to the Spanish coasts. At least they refuse to switch to Spanish to dislodge Castilian.
Spanish reality check   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:30 am GMT
<< And Google user, you forgot this page which as articles and links to the decline of French in various countries.

http://theworldwidedeclineoffrench.blogspot.com/ >>

Ha! A futile failure try hispanic languages. This link is just a blog created by a hispanic trying to prove that Spanish is on the rise even in technical matters which the Spanish speaking world is technological laggard? Are you just mad because of this site http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855611.html because English, Guarani, Quechua, Quiche, Aymara, Italian, French, German, Portuguese, Catalan, Galician, and Basque are threatening Castilian right in its own very turfs?
Spanish reality check   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:33 am GMT
<< And Google user, you forgot this page which as articles and links to the decline of French in various countries.

http://theworldwidedeclineoffrench.blogspot.com/ >>

Ha! A futile try hispanic dung beetle. This link is just a blog created by a hispanic trying to prove that Spanish is on the rise even in technical matters when in reality the Spanish speaking world is technological laggard? Are you just mad because of this site http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855611.html because English, Guarani, Quechua, Quiche, Aymara, Italian, French, German, Portuguese, Catalan, Galician, and Basque are threatening Castilian right in its own very turfs?
Visitor   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 am GMT
HERE ARE THE SOME REACTIONS FROM
www.blogistan.co.uk/blog/mt.php/2006/03/29/mourning_the_decline_of_french

The DP | September 27, 2008 12:25 AM | Reply
Salam alaikoum
Un French, the excerpts you posted from the Miller book refer to the linguistic situations colonies during colonial rule, which has now been over in most places for fifty years- I mention this namely in the context of "encouraging local literacy." Furthermore, this point of view is also largely subjective. While it can be argued with authority that Algerians, for example, were limited during the colonial era in their access to higher education, basic education was often provided at the elementary school level which left the boomer generation with the linguistic skills necessary to thrive in higher education after independence. The difference with Spanish and Portuguese is that French is often a viable SECOND language in the Francophonie and not a first. Finally, French publishing houses aren't necessarily indicative of the success of French language in ex colonies, for two reasons. First, in North Africa at least, there was a policy of expropriation, so outside of major energy interests (which fit into a global pattern vis a vis Africa) it is only now that French companies are assuming a visible presence in some places. Secondly, local publishing houses in the French language thrive, so French ownership doesn't really make a difference. As far as "speaking better" than anyone else, I think "better" is largely subjective. I will say that personally I have a harder time reading El Watan than I do reading Le Monde. While I don't agree completely with non Conformist, I don't think your examples are completely relevant as they refer mainly to the colonial period. The Francophonie is a fascinating subject which I won't get into hogging the comments here.

THIS ONLY PROVES THAT ENGLISH WILL BE HAVING A HARD TIME IN ALGERIA.

kecke | October 31, 2008 4:42 PM | Reply
We should not confound France with the French language. As a power that formerly influenced world policy France really is in decline, but not more than other European countries like Germany and Britain. Concerning the language French surely has not that prestige it had in the 18th century in the royal courts. But former centuries never knew so many speakers of French we have now in Europe, Africa and Northern America. In Europe French has even more native speakers than English. The idea of the special decline of French is a wanna-be argument of Anglophone and Anglophile people. In relation to English every language (except for Chinese or Spanish) is on the point to loose former prestige and importance. But as you see by the reaction of the opponents in this debate speaking or writing English will not solve our identity problems and cultural differences that separate us...

Reality Bites | December 6, 2008 9:49 AM | Reply
The real threat to English in Africa is not just French but Arabic and especially Swahili.

French is still very much used in Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia while in Sudan and Egypt, English is less used than before.

Similarly, French is growing in West Africa and over the years it has even become the first language of a number of people there especially Ivory Coast and Gabon. On the other hand, native English speakers among Kenyans, Tanzanians, and Ugandans are nowhere to be found especially nowadays that they are putting emphasis on Swahili and less on English.

French became not just mandatory in secondary schools in Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia, Sierra Leone, and even Liberia but they are planning to raise its status equal to that of English. In fact, French is now used as a medium of instruction in these countries for math and science subjects.

The quality of French spoken by French Africans are far better than the English of Ex-British colonies. Listen to them how they speak. You can find fluent French speakers even among the less educated French Africans while in the English Africans, even the educated elite struggle to commit mistakes whenever they speak English.
Google user   Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 am GMT
I like when French Fanatics write some webpages, because they don't support French. It is the opposite, they show the weak situation of this language:

<<It's funny when the hispanic dung beetles here try desperately to claim that it Spanish is the "2nd" most used in international communication.>>

Hispanics don't say that. It is written in your Chinese webpage. It is YOUR webpage and Hispanics only need to write YOUR data.

<<The difference with Spanish and Portuguese is that French is often a viable SECOND language in the Francophonie and not a first>>

Yes. That is an important difference. French is the weakest international language because African people speak their African languages or Arabic. They study French as SECOND language. French is NOT a native tongue for over 100 million people, like English, Spanish, Chinese or Portuguese. It is hardly spoken by 75 million as mother tongue, like a regional language in China or India (Cantonese, Telugu, Tamil, etc).

But, if they switch to English, like Rwanda, Burundi or Madagascar?, or to Arabic like Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania and Tunisia? The international status of French depends ONLY on several African countries, and the tendency is very bad...

<<The idea of the special decline of French is a wanna-be argument of Anglophone and Anglophile people. In relation to English every language (except for Chinese or Spanish) is on the point to loose former prestige and importance.>>

Yes. It is also true. Thank you, French Fanatic for doing all the job. Anglophone people (and you must remember that they are neutral) see that there is only ONE GLOBAL language.

This point is very important. French loose the former prestige around the World. Why I need to study the "in theory" second World language, if I can study the most important?

In Africa and Indochina (and all the World), people make this question every day. The answer is easy. They study English now. In Vietnam, Laos and Kampuchea ALL people study English. Nobody study French. They are "francophone" countries only in theory.

Which languages are important yet? Chinese and Spanish. They are dominant languages in a big area, spoken by over 300 million as native tongue, and where English is not very useful.

Perhaps, we can add to this group Arabic and Russian, but obviously not French.
Yuytut   Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:48 am GMT
<<<This point is very important. French loose the former prestige around the World. Why I need to study the "in theory" second World language, if I can study the most important?>>>

Excelllent point! And as for learning a second foreign language, if one's first foreign language is English then there's no need to take into account the importance of the next one because you already speak the main global language. So you can choose your second foreign language based on personal interests.
Google user   Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 am GMT
I want to explain to French Fanatics the situation of French today. Perhaps, they need a good example to understand the health of French nowadays.

The comparison of French and Spanish is like the comparison of Dutch and French.

Dutch people can say that they have a global language, because in the past (like French say) Dutch was spoken in Asia (Indonesia), in Africa (South Africa), Americas (Surinam) and Europe (Belgium and Holland).

That is true. If Dutch say that, they are not wrong. But French people can say that Dutch is the less spoken of the International languages in the World. It is hardly spoken by 40 million people (including Afrikaans).

Nowadays, Dutch is not important. It is not so studied. French is spoken by over the double of people around the World. It is obvious that French are right here. To compare French and Dutch is a nonsense: French is much more important.

Well, the comparison between French and Spanish is exactly the same.
eastlander   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
Well,French is studied everywhere.
Dutch is studied in Germany,Russia,USA,Denmark(Dutch and Danish people are founding their historical,cutural and ethnic liaisons)and so on.Number of Dutch speakers(most of them are of local Flemish origin) is rising in Nord and Pas de Calais "departements" of France.
Google user   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:48 pm GMT
In short, French people can't live in the past. They should consider, like in the example, that Spanish is spoken by the double of people around the World. Spanish is more studied, more widespread and more spoken.

To compare French and Spanish is a nonsense.

PD. But Spanish is not the enemy. That is an important point. French people will see other languages that will be more important in the near future: Chinese, Arabic and Portuguese, for example. French won't be in the top ten languages in 2050. You should think in these things.

French is the weakest of the international languages. Hispanics, Anglophones, Arabics or Chinese are not guilty of this situation. It is due to several factors, not other linguistic groups of people.

FINAL POST
French reality check   Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:23 pm GMT
At least the Google user can make logical arguments.

This is from Visitor's post:
<< In relation to English every language (except for Chinese or Spanish) is on the point to loose former prestige and importance. >>

Thank you for supporting my assumption that after English, Chinese and Spanish would be some of the best to study for the future.

<< This point is very important. French loose the former prestige around the World. Why I need to study the "in theory" second World language, if I can study the most important? >>

Yes, thank you. This is what I think, especially because I'm a native English speaker. If you know the most important international language, there is not much point for a claimed "2nd". Any large regional language would be useful depending on your situation and interests.

My point is that after English, ALL OTHER large languages are more or less equal regionally. (Although French is the LEAST spoken of them.) In reality there is no 2nd most important international language, mainly because the strong presence of English has eliminated the practical need for a "2nd".
Dios   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm GMT
He venido a la Tierra para contaros algo de gran importancia. Estoy seguro de que a algunos de vosotros no les gustará oír lo que tengo que decir. Pero, tenéis que creer en la Palabra de Dios, como lo hizo María hace tantos años cuando ante ella surgió de la nada un ángel, que le contó que ella misma habría de dar a la luz al hijo del Señor. Le habría parecido extraño y increíble a ella cuando oyó aquellas palabras, al igual que os parecerá extraño a vosotros cuando oigáis lo que he de contaros. Ahora, sin más preámbulo, mi Palabra:

EL ESPAÑOL YA NO TIENE IMPORTANCIA EN LA ESCENA INTERNACIONAL.

¡Ya está!, la Palabra de Dios. No dudéis de ella, ¡confiad en ella! Soy Dios, y esto es una prueba de vuestra fe, ¡demostrad su fe! ¡No os dejéis tentar por los demonios que habitan en la Tierra! ¡Dejad que la Palabra de Dios purifique vuestras almas, os abrirá la puerta de mi Reino, y os dejará felices y inundados de la gran sabiduría mía!