English, a Cold Language? Do we need so many Loves?

Sander   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:43 pm GMT
Amazing, 2 pages of this topic without a so called 'latin trolls' posting...
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:44 pm GMT
<Totally off-topic message to Terry: I've been trying to respond to your last post on langcafe, but my PC is being incredibly slow on this site :( I'm not sure how to reformat, unfortunately - maybe there's something in the 'Tutorials' section??>
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
<<Amazing, 2 pages of this topic without a so called 'latin trolls' posting... >>

I'm getting really worried! :-) Where are they all?! Antimoon has been (mostly) very pleasant and civilised the last few days! Long may it continue!
Sander   Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
=>Where are they all?! Antimoon has been (mostly) very pleasant and civilised the last few days! Long may it continue! <=

Not the language forum.... I wished Tom never made it.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
<Totally off-topic message to Terry: I've been trying to respond to your last post on langcafe, but my PC is being incredibly slow on this site :( I'm not sure how to reformat, unfortunately - maybe there's something in the 'Tutorials' section??>

Thanks Candy. I guess I'll have to blunder through on my own. Believe it or not I rarely post on any sites so posting some of my novel will be a real challenge.
Terry   Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:51 pm GMT
<<I'm getting really worried! :-) Where are they all?! Antimoon has been (mostly) very pleasant and civilised the last few days! Long may it continue! >>

You mean it's not usually civilized here? That's one of the reasons I don't often post on forums because there are so many verbal brawls. People going for each other's throats, sometimes over the silliest things and nasty too. But this site seems so, well, civilized.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:18 pm GMT
<<Totally off-topic message to Terry: I've been trying to respond to your last post on langcafe, but my PC is being incredibly slow on this site :( I'm not sure how to reformat, unfortunately - maybe there's something in the 'Tutorials' section??>>

I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble on that site too. It gives me a blank screen any time I try to load anything. What the heck is up?

<<How would you say they differ Tiffany?>>

In terms of expressions, every language has it's own expressions to convey a certain meaning. In some languages, this expression is absent as a much used term, but it can be expressed in other ways. That's all I meant by differ.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:21 pm GMT
<<You mean it's not usually civilized here? That's one of the reasons I don't often post on forums because there are so many verbal brawls. People going for each other's throats, sometimes over the silliest things and nasty too. But this site seems so, well, civilized.>>

Take a trip to the language forum. I think this forum is more civilized than the language one, but it has its fair share of trolls too.

People, only three things are certain: death, taxes and trolls. But I'm glad for the reprieve too, however brief it may be (knock on wood).
Candy   Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:30 pm GMT
I almost gave up on Antimoon a little while ago, because of the trolls. Back in the summer, there was some moron posting crap like 'f*ck me, lick me' under my username. But the biggest problem is all the people droning on about 'Anglo-Saxon arrogance' and stuff. The 'English' section tends to be better than the 'Languages' one.
lidi   Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:22 pm GMT
Travis you have is backward from what i understand. in england 'like' is if oyu like someone as a friend, 'like like' is if you fancy someone and 'love' means the obvious. BUT 'like like' is usually referred to unrequited fancying. if the people are dating then they say ''yes i really like him/her'' they wouldnt say i ''like like'' him/her becuase its obvious, coz there dating.
its the same with going out. there are three degrees to going out. theres ''popping out'' which means just a short visit to the shop, or just a quick word with a neighbour, to return home immeditatly after. then theres 'going out' meaning a longer stay round a friends house or to go out for AFEW beers. then theres ''out out'' meaning to go out clubbing usually, or to stay overnight somewhere. Us english are very weird with these things, but i suppose its the same in every country.
Guest   Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:11 am GMT
<<Well, let us read some Shakespeare and see how expressive English can be. LOL >>

Excellent point! ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WRONG !

The Shakespearian English is OLD English.! And nobody speaks it anymore. Modern English is much poorer...

But modern English speakers always say:

1.“I LOVE you” to their loved ones.
2. “I LOVE “ these CARROTS ! or I LOVE this BURGER !

In English “LOVE “ is everywhere.
I LOVE my car.
I would LOVE that.
I LOVE chocolate
I LOVE my…”you name it”

Is ENGLISH the language of LOVE ? Literally YES !

But is SO POOR ! and demagogic, diluting the only sense of “TRUE LOVE”

I don’t think Italians or others, mix their loved ones with carrots, burgers, etc.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
someone   Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:35 am GMT
From a tonal point of view, an enthusiastic driver, can say “I love my car” with so much excitement as saying ”I love my Wife”

Once the power of intonation or tonality, expressing the emotion in “I love my car” versus ”I love my Wife” is equal. And by universally using the same word “I LOVE MY…” for any challenging emotional situation. The only difference between “I love my car” versus ”I love my Wife” is conjectural. Linguistically is the same, Tonality is the same, Emotionally is the same…

It’s very inappropriate to use a high ranking Emotional noble word as “I LOVE” for any minor and stupid situation…

A higher usage, of a specific word, for any given situation denotes improper usage and a poor language skill. Or just a Emotionally poor languge !
Adam   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:57 pm GMT
English has much more words than Italian. It has the largest vocabulary of any language in the world, so we must have a lot more words to describe "love" than Italian has.
Guest   Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:58 pm GMT
apparantly you don't
Uriel   Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:37 pm GMT
<<Or just a Emotionally poor languge ! >>

Well, it seems to get the job accomplished. There are more of us every year! ;)