English, a Cold Language? Do we need so many Loves?

Sander   Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:47 pm GMT
=>Well, it seems to get the job accomplished. There are more of us every year! ;) <=

" You! Me! Make babies? " ;-)
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:16 am GMT
"English has much more words than Italian. It has the largest vocabulary of any language in the world, so we must have a lot more words to describe "love" than Italian has. "

INCORRECT !

English has the largest vocabulary of LOAN WORDS in the world! 30% FRENCH, 30% LATIN. 10% OTHER

ONLY less than 30% is English! you Idiot ! which is very very POOR vocabulary !
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:14 am GMT
You're a complete retard. All those words are part of the English language, even loan words.
Uriel   Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:20 am GMT
" You! Me! Make babies? " ;-)

I was thinking, "Wanna f---?" A little less wordy, you know. ;)

Why, sometimes, we don't even have to say anything. Just point and grunt....

Truly, it may not be much for the thousand diminutions of affection that SOME people seem to demand, but English certainly is an EFFICIENT language!
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:03 pm GMT
"You're a complete retard. All those words are part of the English language, even loan words. "

You're an idiot ! YES they are part of ENGLISH part of FRENCH part of LATIN.

Loan words are not English words, even if they part of your mother's family .They are just LOAN WORDS ! YOU are not considered A MILLIONAIRE - with 60% LOANED MONEY ! ok ?

English is a crossbreed language. LATIN and FRENCH Loan words, are not used in emotional situations, Only the 30% of germanic words.

Now! What percentage out of 30% left, is alocated to emotions ? even if you alocate more than other language , you're still poor, because you only have 30% left !That is way MODERN English is a poor emotional language! you've lost the emotional old anglo-saxon words, your language is crossbreeded , and not to many new emotional words entered the language, as loan words!

Capisci ?
Tiffany   Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:50 am GMT
I still fail to see how this works. All languages took words from someplace or another. You are arguing that words of French origin in English cannot be considered English. By that justification, no word in English can be considered English because they all came from some other language. This goes then for all other languages. Italian has its roots in Latin - therefore, there are no Italian words, only Latin ones?

Or are you perhaps trying to say that since English is a Germanic language, it can only claim the Germanic words? I do not see how this applies to reality. Excuse me if I use more than just Germanic vocabulary to express myself.

Questo che provi a dire?

By the way, the thing about not being a millionaire if 60% of the money is loaned made no sense. You have to pay back the loan, so of course you are not a millionaire . We do not have to give th words of French origin back to the French.
someone   Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:45 pm GMT
English is a “Germanic Man” in “Latin clothes”! Even if you don’t have to return them, you can’t claim them as “your work” or your original patrimony!

Now! The reason you have borrowed some clothes is because you’ve lost yours in time and you were poor, and the new ones were imposed as well , as more fashionable by the Lords/invaders.

These relatively new Latin clothes are in absolute contrast with your Germanic style. Sometime they don’t fit you very well, and are too big for you! They don’t match the rest of your Germanic clothes you have left.

From an emotional point of view, you can’t use the new Latin clothes too much. And because most of your Germanic clothes are gone, from an emotional point of view YOU ARE HALF NAKED!

Q=“Italian has its roots in Latin - therefore, there are no Italian words, only Latin ones?”
A=NO way! Italians transformed Vulgar Latin into Italian. Never borrowed LATIN. It’s that simple!

Q=“I still fail to see how this works. All languages took words from someplace or another”
A=Yes it’s true. But none of the Indo-European Languages took 70% of others!!! Like English did!!! The rest is history!

ciao bella :)
Tiffany   Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:13 pm GMT
I'll say it again: Excuse me if I use more than just Germanic vocabulary to express myself in English. English is English. Just because you want to dissect and tell us what is really ours and what really isn't, doesn't mean that is the way it is. I use words everyday of non-Germanic origin to communicate in English. I am not speaking Latin or French while I am speaking English, no matter the origin of the words. These words are part of English vocabulary now, regardless of where they came from.

È perche è così importante per te che l'inglese non può considerare le parole d'origine francese e latino?

And why is it so important to you that English not consider words of French and Latin origin?
someone   Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:51 pm GMT
<<<<I use words everyday of non-Germanic origin to communicate in English. I am not speaking Latin or French while I am speaking English, no matter the origin of the words. These words are part of English vocabulary now, regardless of where they came from.>>>

My whole point was to confirm the title of this thread : English, a Cold Language? Not to dig in etymologies…

And YES !English is a poor emotional language! You’ve lost the emotional old Anglo-Saxon words, your language is crossbreeded , and not to many new emotional words entered the language, as loan words!

Read again my previous post:

From a tonal point of view, an enthusiastic driver, can say “I love my car” with so much excitement as saying ”I love my Wife”

Once the power of intonation or tonality, expressing the emotion in “I love my car” versus ”I love my Wife” is equal. And by universally using the same word “I LOVE MY…” for any challenging emotional situation. The only difference between “I love my car” versus ”I love my Wife” is conjectural. Linguistically is the same, Tonality is the same, Emotionally is the same…

It’s very inappropriate to use a high ranking Emotional noble word as “I LOVE” for any minor and stupid situation…

A higher usage, of a specific word, for any given situation denotes improper usage and a poor language skill. Or just an emotionally poor language!

Arrivederci !
Sander   Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:29 pm GMT
=>Emotionally is the same… <=

Is it? Do you love your wife as much as your car? I doubt it.
Tiffany   Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:17 pm GMT
The Italians therefore have no word for a computer, because to you it is an English word. But if someone asked me, how do you say "computer" in Italian? "Computer" would be my response. It may be of English origin, but it is part of Italian vocabulary now. It is an Italian word because all speakers of the Italian language will understand when I say "computer". They will not understand if I say "bridge" to refer to "il ponte" as "bridge" is not an Italian word.

The point: it does not matter where the vocabulary came from. As long as English speakers use it to communicate in English, it is an English word, understood by all who speak English. Is "surrender" English? Yes, it is an English word that originally came from French. The point is that it is English undeniably.

And your opinion of "I love" is just that... your opinion. In French, you may love ice cream and your wife using the same verb. Apparently, the French have not had a problem differentiating this for centuries and neither do we. There are many things present in one language and not another. Why judge what feature is better than another when the point of language is to communicate and the languages obviously do this?
Tiffany   Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:20 pm GMT
And you still haven't answered my question:

È perche è così importante per te che l'inglese non può considerare le parole d'origine francese e latino?

Vorrei sapere. A più tardi.
someone   Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:25 am GMT
Un cazo, Tiffany, please stop yourself, before you compromise yourself! You wrote the silliest, nonsensical thing, I’ve read in a long time!

>>The Italians therefore have no word for a computer, because to you it is an English word. But if someone asked me, how do you say "computer" in Italian? "Computer" would be my response. It may be of English origin, but it is part of Italian vocabulary now. It is an Italian word because all speakers of the Italian language will understand when I say "computer".<<

First of all, COMPUTER is not English in origin!!! Jesus !!! IS FROM LATIN < COMPUTARE> meaning <to count, sum up>

In Italian we say CALCOLATORE from LATIN <CALCULARE> !

Tiffany, seriously, stop yourself, learn to cook or something! Etymology and linguistics, are definitely not your “cook book”

I am warning you!!! 99% of most technical, medical, and scientific English words are LATIN in origin. Not Germanic! Including COMPUTER!!!

Back to the subject…

I repeat!!!

A higher usage, of "I LOVE" for any given emotional situation, denotes improper usage and a poor language skill. Or just an emotionally poor language!
Kirk   Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:10 am GMT
Stop picking on Tiffany--her arguments are making much more sense than yours, someone.

Something to note--no language is "pure" (in that 100% of its words come from the native lexicon). For instance, it has been theorized by many that even the word "pizza" (which would be considered quite native-Italian at first glance) has foreign origins, (there are various possibilities, such as Greek "pitta" or an older German word [possibly something like "bitze"] for "piece/bit [to eat]"). Wherever it came from, my point is that words come from all over for any human language, even if they're nativized to the point that they don't seem "foreign" in origin. This discussion is silly anyway because as Tiffany mentioned, it doesn't matter one bit what a word's origin is in a language as long as it's used and understood by that language's speakers. To use a neutral example, look at Korean. Korean's lexicon is 60-70% of Chinese origin (based on centuries, millennia even, of borrowing), yet that doesn't make it any less "Korean" of a language or mean that it's somehow lexically deprived because it's historically borrowed so many words from Chinese.
someone   Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:47 am GMT
There is nothing wrong in borrowing foreign words from other languages …

My whole point was: English is an emotionally poor language, because of the invasions, language alterations, and because not too many emotional loan words entered the language.

In other words, ironically, you need to borrow more emotional words, maybe this way you’ll have more synonyms for LOVE , hopefully forgetting about “I LOVE burgers! “ or “I would LOVE that”.

As you maybe already know, in most other languages “LOVE” is a very noble high ranking word, expressing only “LOVE” and used accordingly. Never misused or over used.