why english?

Guest   Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:14 pm GMT
<I think English IS one of the easier languages, but I agree with JJM. It's widely used because of the British Empire a few centuries ago, and US power since WW2. After all, Latin's complexity didn't stop it from being a major language back in the old days. >

I agree it is an interesting partnership between the British and the Americans almost like a business arrangement. The British basically sow the seeds of English around the world and the Americans played Gardener.
eito   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:27 am GMT
And many peeple visit the gardens to see the flowers? What is the entrance fee, then? How much?
Guest   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:46 am GMT
We only accept American dollars or British pounds.
Guest   Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:39 am GMT
Not EURO?!
Raz Algool   Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:58 am GMT
<Too many silly things have been said lately. English is used widely because grammatically is the simplest language and any person with a minimal of effort could learn it. The rest of languages, German, Spanish, French, Chinese are more, let's say, sophisticated. >

Not true. Chinese writing may be complicated but the language itself is even more grammatically simple than English.
Sander   Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:43 pm GMT
Aldo wrote,

=>Too many silly things have been said lately.<=

One would expect that what follows is a correct answer to the question: " why is English the current lingua franca of the world ? " Yet, Aldo manages to turn that hope into a pile of crap:

=> English is used widely because grammatically is the simplest language and any person with a minimal of effort could learn it. The rest of languages, German, Spanish, French, Chinese are more, let's say, sophisticated. <=

Aldo you are, the biggest and total idiot I have EVER encountered here on Antimoon.
Adam   Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:12 pm GMT
"English is used widely because grammatically is the simplest language"

Indonesian grammar is simpler than English grammar.
Adam   Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:14 pm GMT
"The British basically sow the seeds of English around the world and the Americans played Gardener. "

Or rather, we took it to our Empire - America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Ireland - and then the Yanks claim it as their own.