Where are all the non-native speakers?

riodarro   Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:36 am GMT
The answer is they're probably on other sites because this one has disgusted them like it disgusts me. Here few seem to have any sort of love of language. Posts are generally humorless, braggartly, adolescent, and anglo nationalistic/antagonistic. What a witless fucking bore you are all. If there are any non-native speakers of English who know of a more nurturing and positive site dedicated to people who both recognize and appreciate the diversity and beauty of the many forms of human communication on a relaxed site where themes are discussed rationally and respectfully, please don't post them here! Because if you do all these soulless fucks will most likely invade them and ruin them like they have this one. This my last ever post. Screw all you bigoted wannabee grammarians, and let thrive true admirers and rational students of language. And dare yourself to try to learn another. (Like that'll happen!)
....later much, RD
Soulless Fuck   Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:34 am GMT
Well, what about all the 'soulless fucks' who are learning languages and need help? Where can they go? Not all of us are into the bullshit that goes on at so called 'civilised', 'respectful' sites, where people form personality cults and treat one another like secret lovers even though they've never met. 'Soulless fucks' like to hang out with other 'soulless fucks'. It's true there are too many trolls here, but it's better than enforcing a login system which will bleed this forum to death and turn it into yet another 'respectful' onanism-fest, ie 'nurturing' one another. Some people in fact tried to make an off shoot of this site of the kind you're referring to and it was dead in a few weeks, because they got tired of the endless 'nurturing' and the never-ending stream of emoticons and 'lol's. When people ask questions here they usually get a good answer, at least in the English forum.... The language forum however could use a clean up...
Caspian   Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:12 pm GMT
This website is not bad, it is incredibly good and useful.
Johnny   Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:41 pm GMT
I am a non native speaker and I come here on purpose, because I like it.

1) If you don't take trolls into account, this forum has posters that are among the most knowledgeable about English and its dialects, from social aspects to phonological aspects.

2) The difference between this and other forums is that most of the others are TESL/TEFL oriented, and everything is about "correct grammar" and "political correctness". In other forums prescriptivism is the way to go, and descriptivists are accused of spreading "uneducated English". Here things go the way they should go, that is, prescriptivists are rightly insulted for their lack of understanding on how languages work.

3) The language used here and the question posted are at a much higher level compared to the stuff you usually find in most other forums for non-natives.

Unfortunately, if you take idiots into account, here you can find the worst ones.
I came here because I was sick of being told that things I kept hearing on a daily basis sounded like what "only an uneducated teenager would say". Here, I got the normal and expected answer: "That's very common in informal English". Period.
farhad   Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:19 pm GMT
can someone pls help me by saying how I can become a member here?

Thanks in advance
Wan Sick Fak   Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
Idiocy is very common in human society. It's normal and expected, period.
beneficii   Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
Johnny,

Excellent point. This method is most interested in getting you to have input so that you can imitate it and sound natural and flowing, not like a stuffy bird.

I'm now trying the same thing in Japanese.
pepactonius   Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:19 pm GMT
<<can someone pls help me by saying how I can become a member here?

Thanks in advance >>

Congratulations -- you're already a member
H=Humble   Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:20 am GMT
<Where are all the non-native speakers?>
I am one. Grateful to those who have helped.
Have been here for over 2 years.
Fairly satisfied - quite a few questions have been answered, some were ignored (no idea why nobody could tell me about common antiseptics in my thread "brilliant green"). Being ignored is very unpleasant, but I realize nothing can be too much OK. I am humble.

At least no arrogant moderators poke you in the ribs here as they do in otherwise excellent Wordreference.com or Usingenglish.com.
K. T.   Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:56 pm GMT
зелёнка

I have never seen this sold as a topical antiseptic in the United States and I do not remember seeing it in any hospitals. Maybe that is why there was no short answer.

Wikipedia indicated that it is/was used in Eastern Europe and the former USSR.

I asked some questions about Ukrainian in the Languages section, and still haven't received a reply. Who knows? There may not be someone each time who can answer a question or they may know, but won't answer.

In some cases, we just hope that the right person with the right specialization (someone who may be a language lover, but in another field) comes along.
back from bovina   Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
One of the great features of Antimoon is the lack of registration. You don't see threads where people post pictures of their gardens, neighborhoods, cities, etc.

(If they had registration and image posting capabilities here, I probably would have been tempted to grab some nice icestorm pics and post them here.)
H   Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
Thanks a lot, K.T.
(Sorry for the OFF, guys ) As I can’t revive my thread (I've tried), please tell me then, which is the commonest antiseptic in people’s homes?

I haven’t seen any questions on Ukranian here. Is there another Antimoon forum?
AngloSaxonPower   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
<<which is the commonest antiseptic in people’s homes? >>

Only a medically inclined person would be able to tell you that. For most people they just have 'antiseptic' and that's as far as it goes. The particular brand is not really important for most.
K. T.   Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
I know the answer, but I'm curious as to why H. wants to know.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
One of the most commonly used household antiseptics in the UK is a light brown liquid coming in various sized bottles, with quite a pleasant if highly clinical smell, and which turns a milky white colour when added to water. It can be used for a variety of purposes, from a bee sting or a grazing of the skin when you fall off your bike as you skid on an icy patch, or whatever minor accident you sustain, or any other domestic requirement in the field of household hygiene. It has an upstanding sword as its logo and it's brand name rhymes with "kettle" more or less, depending on you literally you pronounce it.